Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Really looks like a great jacket in a style that perhaps should be reproduced.

B3C9AE10-7590-492D-874F-FDCB9CBE42BA.jpeg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Great catch on this "Cat's eye" Terry! Really looks like a great jacket in a style that perhaps should be reproduced. Really like the details on this one and the back of it as well.

Yes, the Cat's Eye. I believe this is the only jacket I have given a name. Looks like it has been reproduced by Thedi! They have a deep knowledge of vintage leathers.

b3c9ae10-7590-492d-874f-fdcb9cbe42ba-jpeg.393606

s-l1600.jpg

100% Agree!!! This jacket checks many boxes style wise. The front is great but the back is even better. Cool color.....subtle but noticeable patina. GREAT get @tmitchell59 for sure.

The best box will be the fit box on this one. I've only dreamed before.

Terry, You are the best. Thanks for sharing with us AGAIN. Love it.

Thank you. This jackets puts more pieces together for me. Finding jackets that fit me and fit my collection is always a plus. The road leads back to California Sportswear Company. The black Cat's Eye is too small for me, but too cool to pass. It needs work, so I got it very reasonable. Now I understand more about its' appeal to me. It was a significant piece.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
it went quickly no surprise and yes i would have bit

I could feel the desire of others when I bought it. I was surprised it lasted as long. When I went back to buy it, there were over 20 watchers. It was advertised and sold for a rather fair price. I hesitated too, then I did a write up about the jacket in this thread; taught myself sold myself.

You have the last of the Aviators, Hercules addition.

Coriu

One Too Many
There was a time when I myself was in fact, "a wiry young Mustang"...........:p:p:p I'm sure I'm not the only one.....

I wonder if they were killing wild horses at this time in the U.S. ...... Killing young mustangs for their hides and marketing your product with that information in the ad is interesting....... as if the public already had an understanding that Horse leather was something premium and/or tough. These days, I think one of the reasons we are enamored with Horsehide is not only the leather quality and graining etc. -- but also the fact that it seems sort of exotic with maybe even a slight sense of taboo (at least--in the U.S.) being that it isn't legal here anymore to domestically slaughter horses. Most of us don't see them as hide (or food) source animals -- but as pets and/or athletes (race horses) so the fact that you can buy garments made of their hides is maybe where the sense of taboo (for lack of a better word) comes in.

@tmitchell59 I am always interested in these old ads!!! So many historic elements to see and think about.... from prices to how the people are portrayed to the Advertising Copy.....

It does seem you are onto something seeing the Aviator style start to fade in the Late 40s. The ads are great evidence of this evolution.

The Sears catalog had a certain mystique about it. I think they could have sold the public just about anything. There was a sense that "if it's in the Sears catalog, it is quality." And in many cases, it was. My "rich" friends shopped in the Sears catalog just like my parents, which was kind of cool.

My mother was a seamstress and a stickler about quality. But I never recall her sitting up nights laboring over the catalog (like people do today with the internet) figuring out what to buy. There were much fewer choices and "quality" was much more pervasive. You picked a jacket and you're done...period. I say this because I think the combination of infinite choices and lower quality today has made us a bit neurotic about clothing selection.

Yango

One of the Regulars
Schott 230 (or possibly 630 depending on whether it’s steerhide or lambskin). Size 44. The guy is only asking $125.00 CAD, which, in my humble opinion, is a steal. I found some info on the Schott Forum about the jacket.
8730645A-61AB-48AA-A0C7-57C0FCBDF51D.jpeg

The seller sent me these pics. That’s him wearing the jacket and he’s 5’10” and weighs 185lbs. He’s in Nova Scotia, Canada.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-clothing-men/new-glasgow-ns/leather-jacket/1600274105?undefined 01C7A498-E049-427F-9A45-03EDF650AFA0.jpeg A3082310-6C7E-4E35-A34B-52655E8D1019.jpeg

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Schott 230 (or possibly 630 depending on whether it’s steerhide or lambskin). Size 44. The guy is only asking $125.00 CAD, which, in my humble opinion, is a steal. I found some info on the Schott Forum about the jacket. View attachment 393819

The seller sent me these pics. That’s him wearing the jacket and he’s 5’10” and weighs 185lbs. He’s in Nova Scotia, Canada.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-clothing-men/new-glasgow-ns/leather-jacket/1600274105?undefined View attachment 393817 View attachment 393818
fantastic. I have one of the 3 sixteen/schott collabs and this jacket looks pretty much the same (minus the horween teacore leather and no epaulettes on the 3-16). The one in the photo looks like steerhide, I don't think lambskin wears like that.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
The Sears catalog had a certain mystique about it. I think they could have sold the public just about anything. There was a sense that "if it's in the Sears catalog, it is quality." And in many cases, it was. My "rich" friends shopped in the Sears catalog just like my parents, which was kind of cool.

My mother was a seamstress and a stickler about quality. But I never recall her sitting up nights laboring over the catalog (like people do today with the internet) figuring out what to buy. There were much fewer choices and "quality" was much more pervasive. You picked a jacket and you're done...period. I say this because I think the combination of infinite choices and lower quality today has made us a bit neurotic about clothing selection.

The Sears catalog pages reflect the Styles and markets of the day as much as any resource I can think. They showcased the best in leather outerwear made by the best. The range of quality was much narrower. I seldom find a "cheap" leather jacket made before 1960s. Sears had a range of prices, but the least expensive was a quality garment.

The Hercules name is a Legend in Outerwear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner