Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Wildhorses

Practically Family
I don't remember if it was posted, a Campus HH HB
Horsehide Jacket 42 | eBay
s-l1600.jpg

My Scooter

One of the Regulars
Here is my most current find, it’s a Mr. S Leather jacket. On 9-2-21, JMax and I were going back and forth about a (Mr. S) listing that had questionable measurements. At that time the seller wanted $900.00 for the jacket listed. I texted the seller and posted his response here on the Lounge. JMax said “Though Mr. S jackets are pricey, they are exceptional”!

After hearing that (they were exceptional) my search started. Like you I’m always on the lookout for quality leather jackets as other’s here on TFL. I was informed of the kind of items that are sold there, however I am on the biker side of leather products. According to the seller he purchased it 15 years ago and hardly wore it, and has no use for it now. The jacket has no labels anywhere on it, not even the store label.

I was just wondering who made this jacket? Thru my investigation I was able to find that Tauber’s made jackets for “Taste of Leather”. Another San Francisco shop but nothing for Mr. S. I was able to find on e-bay a person selling a Mr. S catalog from 2003 which shows the jacket. According to the catalog it’s called the “Marquis” or an L-200. It states “The jacket is made in heavy 3.5 ounce cowhide, etc. I do have a photo taken from the catalog however I don’t know it would be allowed to post? So the question I have is who made this jacket? My fellow loungers have superior knowledge in this area and I hope someone here could answer my question, Thanks

Attachments

• cal.jpg
    cal.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 627
  • cal1.jpg
    cal1.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 666
  • cal2.jpg
    cal2.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 572

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Here is my most current find, it’s a Mr. S Leather jacket. On 9-2-21, JMax and I were going back and forth about a (Mr. S) listing that had questionable measurements. At that time the seller wanted $900.00 for the jacket listed. I texted the seller and posted his response here on the Lounge. JMax said “Though Mr. S jackets are pricey, they are exceptional”!

After hearing that (they were exceptional) my search started. Like you I’m always on the lookout for quality leather jackets as other’s here on TFL. I was informed of the kind of items that are sold there, however I am on the biker side of leather products. According to the seller he purchased it 15 years ago and hardly wore it, and has no use for it now. The jacket has no labels anywhere on it, not even the store label.

I was just wondering who made this jacket? Thru my investigation I was able to find that Tauber’s made jackets for “Taste of Leather”. Another San Francisco shop but nothing for Mr. S. I was able to find on e-bay a person selling a Mr. S catalog from 2003 which shows the jacket. According to the catalog it’s called the “Marquis” or an L-200. It states “The jacket is made in heavy 3.5 ounce cowhide, etc. I do have a photo taken from the catalog however I don’t know it would be allowed to post? So the question I have is who made this jacket? My fellow loungers have superior knowledge in this area and I hope someone here could answer my question, Thanks

Dated 1984

upload_2022-1-22_17-10-17.png

I *think a lot of those labels were actually made by Johnson Leathers and simply rebranded for retail outlets. Mr. S and Worn out West. They used JL’s m-500 pattern and tweaked it.

Wildhorses

Practically Family
Dude is nuts for that kind of money for a campus jacket. I love these and having owned one myself…it’s $250 jacket at most. Mine was black. My favorite pattern. Not very well made.
View attachment 397142

These old jackets have a great leather grain. They are not perfectly built and are fragile now. This one is already in Europe, and could be had for around 350 Euro with an offer, which is something close to the same one bought for $250 in the US, after shipping, taxes, taxes, and taxes...

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Dude is nuts for that kind of money for a campus jacket. I love these and having owned one myself…it’s $250 jacket at most. Mine was black. My favorite pattern. Not very well made.
View attachment 397142

I agree, I owned the unlabeled brown jacket that John Chapman used for his Arcadia. It was nothing special, when I sold it I found out no one else did either. I have seen a 30s Campus labeled jacket that was well worth $500, but not this one.

I do like the lining in this particular jacket.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I agree, I owned the unlabeled brown jacket that John Chapman used for his Arcadia. It was nothing special, when I sold it I found out no one else did either. I have seen a 30s Campus labeled jacket that was well worth $500, but not this one.

I do like the lining in this particular jacket.
Yeah but it needs a main zipper replacement... That makes it a lot less desirable. I wouldn't pay more than $150 for it.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
I *think a lot of those labels were actually made by Johnson Leathers and simply rebranded for retail outlets. Mr. S and Worn out West. They used JL’s m-500 pattern and tweaked it.

There are two types of BLUF jackets that I have seen brought up here. The first are almost certainly made by JL or using JL patterns. Actually, Golden Bear has also made a couple of these jackets as well. Here's an example featuring a Mr. S label:

s-l1600.jpg

242328868_3901162306650506_5560668972626322557_n.jpg

The other type is much more in line with the standard CHP pattern. Some have labels, like Leatherman NYC, while others have no labels, like the example Scooter linked that was purchased from Mr. S. Some are beltless, some are not.

925b4db8c7e2bf2a522165c20e7734de.jpg

qPE2yz2.jpg

JLzOaKN.jpg

For this latter type, I have always assumed the maker is Cal or Al's. I have seen some disagreement recently, however, so I don't really know for sure.

My Scooter

One of the Regulars
There are two types of BLUF jackets that I have seen brought up here. The first are almost certainly made by JL or using JL patterns. Actually, Golden Bear has also made a couple of these jackets as well. Here's an example featuring a Mr. S label:
The jacket pictured on the mannequin or # 3 is the exact jacket. The stitching is horizontal from left pocket to right pocket is just like a Cal. the stitching on the bottom of the jacket is exactly the same. The zipper pulls are also the same. Let's remember this jacket was made 15 or so years ago. I'm including the picture from the 2003 catalog. Please read their description of the jacket.
Marquis Jacket Mr. S.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

242328868_3901162306650506_5560668972626322557_n.jpg

The other type is much more in line with the standard CHP pattern. Some have labels, like Leatherman NYC, while others have no labels, like the example Scooter linked that was purchased from Mr. S. Some are beltless, some are not.

925b4db8c7e2bf2a522165c20e7734de.jpg

qPE2yz2.jpg

JLzOaKN.jpg

For this latter type, I have always assumed the maker is Cal or Al's. I have seen some disagreement recently, however, so I don't really know for sure.

Wildhorses

Practically Family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21