Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

TMP

Familiar Face
Cal-Leather located in Bristol, 23" p2p, mouton collar incl. for £225: repsycho.co.uk
a12.jpg
Interesting! I'm onlly about 30 minutes from there. It certainly has a Cal-like appearance. I wonder if they (Cal) actually made them.

Leather Walker

Practically Family
Interesting! I'm onlly about 30 minutes from there. It certainly has a Cal-like appearance. I wonder if they (Cal) actually made them.
Yes, this jacket is a Cal. "Hard on Leather" was a shop that sold and repaired leather & kink stuff. When they made arrangements, they used to replace the original label with theirs.

My advice: if you like this jacket, and it might fit you... go for it. You won't regret.

Reactions: TMP

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up

Claybertrand

One Too Many
There are a few fakes and 'close-tos' out there. There was also, in the eighties, another brand., totally unconnected, calling itself Lewis (see http://www.ringbell.co.uk/museum/LEW01.htm). Often those crop up being sold with folks not realising that they aren't an Aviakit product.

Yeah. A lot of companies back in the 70s and eighties made jackets very similar to Lewis designs. Certain styles became standardised on the UK market in much the same way as the Perfecto-style jackets in the US were made by a thousand and one different companies. The Highwayman brand's straight zip / shirt collar designs predated the Lewis Corsair and Dominator by several years. Pretty much everybody made a version of the Lewis Lightning design after Lewis premiered it in 1958. The biggest style was the Monza / Super Monza look - cross zip front, with a mandarin collar. In the seventies and eighties as I recall them if you saw a biker in the UK and Ireland, likely as not that's the style of jacket he was wearing. There are giveaways when you're dealing with one of the others, particularly later on - late 70s / into the 80s; unlike Lewis, ime, a lot of the others got caught up in a fashion for comically oversized zips. In that period Lewis had a lot of things we don't now associate with the brand - more padded styles, black liners, and the rest. It's also not uncommon for people at the time to have added Lewis patches and such to non-Lewis jackets. The one in that auction looks legit to me too, but I can also totally see how it looks 'off', as it does a bit, but that was just Lewis by then.... Wasn't until the 90s they refocused to cater to the heritage market, which was kicked up a gear in particular after the current owner bought the company in 2003.

I used to think that the knock off makers tended to only make copies of things that are high dollar. Like, they'll make fake Rolex's, Breitlings, Tags etc. but they won't make fake Casios.

While travelling in China, I ran across knock offs of so many items I wouldn't assume they would even bother to copy. It made me think maybe its just that some of these items were actually legit made there but were being sold out the sweat shop back door or the labels were stolen or copied to sell on the black market. For example, (this may be an obscure brand to some but Californians, Aussies, and other Coastal type folk will know it) O'Neill, was a brand I saw knock offs of that struck me as an odd brand to choose to copy. Seems to be a niche surfing and coastal lifestyle brand not some internationally renowned fashion brand and not a high dollar brand per se. They also had many GAP knock offs --- which--- The Gap is not high end clothing. Gap isn't Rolex. Another was Timberland. Is Timberland still a big thing somewhere??? I'd see Timberland labeling and zippers etc. on the cheapest--crappiest windbreaker type of jacket you could imagine.

Now another brand I saw many many many knock offs of was Belstaff. There was all kinds of cheesy jackets and crap with a Belstaff badge on it. Belstaff type of products that have a signature badge prominently displayed as their calling card are prime knock off candidates. They can knock off the badging and hardware easier that copying an actual garment stitch for stitch. They'll then throw that badging on ANYTHING. So you see the fairly authentic looking badge and many people don't look much further to the quality of the garment to see that its an obvious blatant fake.

So Aviakit with its Lewis Leathers badge just looked like the type of thing that would be ripe to be copied. Then I saw the price and it looked enticingly low---like...sorta too good to be true low (plus I thought it was a BIN price which seemed shocking). So the jacket having signature badging of the kind regularly knocked off, looking A LITTLE off, and the seemingly low pricing had me seeing red flags when I saw the listing. It just came off suspicious. Looking at it now it doesn't seem so.

Thanks for posting that history on the UK jackets. I have seen that Monza look in a ton of UK jackets so I see what you mean and the comparison to the U.S. mainstream popularity of the Schott Perfecto design makes sense and is very relatable and explanatory. Spot on comp.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Something kind of cool about this:
View attachment 406232 View attachment 406233 View attachment 406234
This piece is bitchen. Obviously its posted because its too small or else it would be on the way to @ton312!!! Looks to be in excellent condition. Those Buttons!!!!! What is the purpose of the back zippers?? Is that for additional insulation to be added in cold weather or are those actually pockets for something?? I have a vintage wool hunting jacket that has similar back "pockets". I kinda thought they were maybe to stuff like, dead game birds in or something......... Lol.... I know nothing about hunting.

This piece is bitchen. Obviously its posted because its too small or else it would be on the way to @ton312!!! Looks to be in excellent condition. Those Buttons!!!!! What is the purpose of the back zippers?? Is that for additional insulation to be added in cold weather or are those actually pockets for something?? I have a vintage wool hunting jacket that has similar back "pockets". I kinda thought they were maybe to stuff like, dead game birds in or something......... Lol.... I know nothing about hunting.
I don't think it is too small...I just haven't decided if I need it or not;) I think this is a service station jacket. Looks like old Post Office type but I've never seen one in green.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I used to think that the knock off makers tended to only make copies of things that are high dollar. Like, they'll make fake Rolex's, Breitlings, Tags etc. but they won't make fake Casios.

While travelling in China, I ran across knock offs of so many items I wouldn't assume they would even bother to copy. It made me think maybe its just that some of these items were actually legit made there but were being sold out the sweat shop back door or the labels were stolen or copied to sell on the black market. For example, (this may be an obscure brand to some but Californians, Aussies, and other Coastal type folk will know it) O'Neill, was a brand I saw knock offs of that struck me as an odd brand to choose to copy. Seems to be a niche surfing and coastal lifestyle brand not some internationally renowned fashion brand and not a high dollar brand per se. They also had many GAP knock offs --- which--- The Gap is not high end clothing. Gap isn't Rolex. Another was Timberland. Is Timberland still a big thing somewhere??? I'd see Timberland labeling and zippers etc. on the cheapest--crappiest windbreaker type of jacket you could imagine.

Now another brand I saw many many many knock offs of was Belstaff. There was all kinds of cheesy jackets and crap with a Belstaff badge on it. Belstaff type of products that have a signature badge prominently displayed as their calling card are prime knock off candidates. They can knock off the badging and hardware easier that copying an actual garment stitch for stitch. They'll then throw that badging on ANYTHING. So you see the fairly authentic looking badge and many people don't look much further to the quality of the garment to see that its an obvious blatant fake.

So Aviakit with its Lewis Leathers badge just looked like the type of thing that would be ripe to be copied. Then I saw the price and it looked enticingly low---like...sorta too good to be true low (plus I thought it was a BIN price which seemed shocking). So the jacket having signature badging of the kind regularly knocked off, looking A LITTLE off, and the seemingly low pricing had me seeing red flags when I saw the listing. It just came off suspicious. Looking at it now it doesn't seem so.

Thanks for posting that history on the UK jackets. I have seen that Monza look in a ton of UK jackets so I see what you mean and the comparison to the U.S. mainstream popularity of the Schott Perfecto design makes sense and is very relatable and explanatory. Spot on comp.
They have all kinds of fake merchandise. The most unusual item I have seen is fake a John Parris snooker cue. I know they have fake sports equipment like fake Spalding basket balls etc but never would I imagine finding a fake Parris cue. I used to own a real Parris cue (the cheapest one, plain without any veneers) but it was stolen in UK. My friend lent me a Parris cue (a supposedly more expensive one because it has green veneer) when we played in Hong Kong. The cue felt strange, real strange. Even though the surface is nicely polished, it lacks the feel and power. Then my distant cousin took me to a snooker hall when I was in Mainland and there they were a punch of fake Parris cues with the green veneer. My puzzle solved.

Yamahana

One Too Many
It’s z
Something kind of cool about this:
View attachment 406232 View attachment 406233 View attachment 406234
It’s actually a whipcord type jacket made for the Dept of the Interior which manages federal public lands including wildlife preserves and Native American lands. Being a 40s-50s jacket those back zippers are more than likely game pouches. Pretty cool piece, unique buttons for sure, probably be long while before you see another. I just picked up a similar like new Days Ranger Whipcord just a few days ago and I love it
EFD31AE1-5B7F-461B-8905-77E07F9AFFE5.jpeg

It’s z

It’s actually a whipcord type jacket made for the Dept of the Interior which manages federal public lands including wildlife preserves and Native American lands. Being a 40s-50s jacket those back zippers are more than likely game pouches. Pretty cool piece, unique buttons for sure, probably be long while before you see another. I just picked up a similar like new Days Ranger Whipcord just a few days ago and I love it View attachment 406318
Awesome education! Thank you! Now I’m far more interested!

Claybertrand

One Too Many
It’s z

It’s actually a whipcord type jacket made for the Dept of the Interior which manages federal public lands including wildlife preserves and Native American lands. Being a 40s-50s jacket those back zippers are more than likely game pouches. Pretty cool piece, unique buttons for sure, probably be long while before you see another. I just picked up a similar like new Days Ranger Whipcord just a few days ago and I love it View attachment 406318

Agree with Tony---awesome info. Did you get your Days Ranger on Etsy?? I bought a wool garment from a Seller who had the same garment in a whip cord in a size 40 as I recall. I'm just curious. It was too small for me but really cool and in great shape.

Yamahana

One Too Many
Agree with Tony---awesome info. Did you get your Days Ranger on Etsy?? I bought a wool garment from a Seller who had the same garment in a whip cord in a size 40 as I recall. I'm just curious. It was too small for me but really cool and in great shape.
It was an eBay purchase. Bid started at $150, I expected it to reach $200 and bid accordingly but to my surprise, snagged it for $153.50. I really don't think its ever been washed if even worn. I need to post some pics in the Vintage Outerwear thread. I saw and was watching those on Etsy as well. These vintage whipcords can go for pricey $$ amounts sometimes

Claybertrand

One Too Many
It was an eBay purchase. Bid started at $150, I expected it to reach $200 and bid accordingly but to my surprise, snagged it for $153.50. I really don't think its ever been washed if even worn. I need to post some pics in the Vintage Outerwear thread. I saw and was watching those on Etsy as well. These vintage whipcords can go for pricey $$ amounts sometimes

Nice get man! Yeah these are really cool. I know the Ranger jackets run short (for my taste) like a lot of vintage jackets but there are other Day's Whipcord garments out there too that are longer and yes it seems they can get up there in price. I have seen a couple that sold for close to $200 but frankly, I don't personally know very much about these as I have just sorta started looking at them. From what I have seen, whipcord material was designed as a tough outdoor uniform and workwear material and even the garments I have seen that were clearly worn seem to have held up really well.

I'll check into the Threads of the Past thread and maybe I'll catch a glimpse of your jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran