Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Man... I'd be showing this in "How many new jackets do you have coming" if it was smaller o_O

This Guide Master for only $90: eBay.com ... That's ridiculous.

s-l1600.jpg
Fidelity?

It's indeed a fidelity as mentioned above.

Are they all this long? (27" back length on a size 42?

They generally are longer than most other vtg MC jackets, but not that much longer. My Fidelity is just over 24” and is a 44.

I no longer have the later steerhide version, like this one. But it had a 25” back length in a 44. Search for my old ad in the classifieds.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
A very different brown Schott here with a collar, zip-sleeves and 4 zippered pockets. Size 40, looks like very nice dark brown leather here:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Never seen anything in this color from anyone of the catalogs. I love that collar and the color. Looks like someone didn't like green and chose not to wear it. This jacket is from the 1950s.

I ask for measurements.

I assume it will be sitting there for some time.

Pit2pit: 22.5”
Top 2bottom (center):29”
Top2bottom (shoulder) 21”
See photo for reference in measurements

and this comment in the sale

If it doesn’t sell It will NOT be reposted anytime soon, so get it while it’s available. Unique vintage in great condition, whoop whoop!!!

Nothing like a threat to stimulate sales!!!

Pit2pit: 22.5”
Top 2bottom (center):29”
Top2bottom (shoulder) 21”
See photo for reference in measurements

and this comment in the sale

If it doesn’t sell It will NOT be reposted anytime soon, so get it while it’s available. Unique vintage in great condition, whoop whoop!!!

Nothing like a threat to stimulate sales!!!
Soon can mean so many different things lol

Coriu

One Too Many
Avirex made jackets for old men. This one is the exception to that rule. (I hope I'm not offending anyone)

https://www.vinted.nl/uomo/vestiti/...he/giacche-in-pelle/1730256903-montone-avirex View attachment 414577

View attachment 414576 View attachment 414575
Concerning Avirex jackets...these were very popular with youth in the US for many years. Their varsity jackets were dope gear in hip hop culture when some on here were in diapers. And US kids wore bomber-type jackets over the decades... more so than moto jackets, especially during the 70's and 80's..

Over the past century, youth in the US have worn with gusto every type pf leather jacket imaginable. For instance, there was a time when car coats and the like were very popular. So, at least from a from a historical perspective, I don't think there is such a thing as a jacket for old men.

Aloysius

Concerning Avirex jackets...these were very popular with youth in the US for many years. Their varsity jackets were dope gear in hip hop culture when some on here were in diapers. And US kids wore bomber-type jackets over the decades... more so than moto jackets, especially during the 70's and 80's..

Over the past century, youth in the US have worn with gusto every type pf leather jacket imaginable. For instance, there was a time when car coats and the like were very popular. So, at least from a from a historical perspective, I don't think there is such a thing as a jacket for old men.

Wearing a trim jacket in the 90s or a narrow tie in the 70s was the mark of a square.

Coriu

One Too Many
Grais S $225

View attachment 414808
I posted this same jacket back in February. I think we may underestimate the historical significance of this company and its motorcycle jackets (they also were well known for varsity jackets). As best I can tell, they were one of the earliest companies to bring such jackets into the mainstream of American society (based upon their level of production). In that sense, having an early Grais jacket like this in one's collection is a no-brainer.

Aloysius

I posted this same jacket back in February. I think we may underestimate the historical significance of this company and its motorcycle jackets (they also were well known for varsity jackets). As best I can tell, they were one of the earliest companies to bring such jackets into the mainstream of American society (based upon their level of production). In that sense, I think having an early Grais jacket like this in one's collection is a no-brainer.

I've been seeing them a lot and trying to learn more about the brand.

Coriu

One Too Many
I've been seeing them a lot and trying to learn more about the brand.
From what I understand, Ruben Grais, a Russian immigrant and shoemaker, sewed the leather jackets while his nephew made the varsity jackets. I believe Ruben Grais had a contract to make jackets for the Chicago PD.

Grais made a wide variety of pieces to appeal to different customers. Their jackets were very popular amongst young people in the Midwest at one time. So, I am guessing they made some lower price point jackets to appeal to the kids.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

You guys are right, I just did a search and found quite a number of nice Avirex jackets. But I also found this one which is the type of jacket I think of when talking about old men's jackets. But maybe this was cool too at one point in time.

2091DB7A-AEB1-43FC-9334-81B20145E09B.jpeg

Coriu

One Too Many
Wearing a trim jacket in the 90s or a narrow tie in the 70s was the mark of a square.

Below is an article about an important piece of leather jacket history in the US.

A lot of the guys in hip hop were bigger-than-average guys, and they wore BIG jackets. Like it or not, these big jackets helped perpetuate the leather jacket's popularity amongst the youth at the time. Back in the 80's, you'd see guys in their 30's at the clubs wearing BIG clothes, ie Cavaricci jeans.

Recognizing young people today highly value comfort in their apparel, ie hoodies, I would think looser fitting leather jackets would appeal to a broader segment today.

I think some put too much emphasis on a "proper" fit. Leather jackets have always been about the vibe, not the fit...whether one was a leatherman, a biker or a rapper.

Aloysius

Recognizing young people today highly value comfort in their apparel, ie hoodies, I would think looser fitting leather jackets would appeal to a broader segment today.

Oversized leather jackets are the trend now. That's why it was so funny when a poster came on here accusing us of being fashion victims beholden to a brand we'd never heard of, for preferring trim leather jackets. What he was looking for is the actual trendy thing!

Coriu

One Too Many
You guys are right, I just did a search and found quite a number of nice Avirex jackets. But I also found this one which is the type of jacket I think of when talking about old men's jackets. But maybe this was cool too at one point in time.

View attachment 414849
That's great you looked it up. There was definitely a time when young people would wear stuff like this. We went through these homophobic years in the US during which people were sensitive about experimenting with leather. I think a jacket like this has always been considered "safe," and hence popular, for all ages.

I grew up in an area with a large homosexual population and the leatherman culture was present, and much misunderstood. As homosexuality was coming out of the closet in the US, a lot of straight guys went out of their way to "look straight," which meant only wearing the most conservative leather jackets. Or, if you had the traditional biker look/vibe, you would wear a moto jacket. But there was not much in between.

If a guy walked into a straight club in my stomping grounds in the 70's-80's wearing a tight-fitting moto jacket, skinny jeans, pointy boots and a fedora, they would have gotten very funny looks, or even rolled. Even the biggest, toughest guys were sensitive about it....lots of homophobia. It may be difficult for younger people to understand because we thankfully moved past that in the 90's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24