Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Pre AMF Harley CZ -- $299 BIN Lame belt.......S-M

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3637972346...5&toolid=10001&customid=l1tweakgwv0004qa00004

1649638116506.png

Coriu

One Too Many

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
What

What did the back length measure?
22". Pretty short but to my surprise it's wearable somehow.

I'm almost done restoring the jacket, just need to fix a couple of busted seams on the inside of the hem and then it's good to go for another 75 years.

I'm quite pleased with the results. Here's a couple of before - after pics. More to come in the "do try this at home" repair thread.

B853D040-FC97-4282-A85A-592E514E1E21.jpeg
64DFB68A-CC5B-409E-9FF2-E5027424EBFE.jpeg

willyto

One Too Many
22". Pretty short but to my surprise it's wearable somehow.

I'm almost done restoring the jacket, just need to fix a couple of busted seams on the inside of the hem and then it's good to go for another 75 years.

I'm quite pleased with the results. Here's a couple of before - after pics. More to come in the "do try this at home" repair thread.

View attachment 418389 View attachment 418390
Woah! You got rid of those ugly storage creases

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DISCLAIMER: I realize this is an ASKING price we are talking about but I will address it as the price in general. We all know it will go for less.

To me, this jacket is overpriced but not unworthy per se. As I carefully straddle the fence here......

I think that it kinda sucks to ask so much for a jacket missing the chest pulls. I know this is splitting hairs here...... but just my stubborn sense of value with vintage pieces is that this you can ask top dollar when you basically have no flaws. Do the pockets look cool nonetheless??? YESSSS they do!!!! But that's not the point.

Just saying that you can't balk at the price as much when a jacket is fully intact with vintage zippers. They are the hardware.....the bling.....and the hard to find, pricey to buy, just as pricey to replace (or more) parts to the jacket that complete the package----FOR A TOP DOLLAR JACKET. I admit to being too into the zippers and almost, though not quite, a zipper snob. I love the cool old zippers---maybe too much. So maybe I'm a little more disappointed in their being gone on this jacket than some might be.

Now is this asking price considered Top Dollar???? I mean, for vintage, and not a celebrated brand or maker, to me---its up there. I would say it's overpriced currently. I think if its intact with the original zippers and all, maybe its in the $600-650 mayyyyybe $700??? range max give or take.....but valuation is hard with these odd branded garments with no market comps. The condition besides the zippers seems very very good.

The other side of the fence is the WELL, IS IT WORTH IT COMPARED TO NEW REPROS angle??? Which is I think a more Macro question and a well debated one. To me, given the price of quality repros, this original, one of a kind, unable to be purchased elsewhere (most likely) type of piece has its own value that the repros do not (and vice versa). But this larger debate is dead horse jerky by now in the lounge so I think this question will likely fall along the VINTAGE vs. HIGH END REPRO party lines that we have all seemed to dig in on.

Admittedly, as more of a collector than regular wearer, and loving vintage, I think the price is not unreasonable if looked at from the comparison to new high end retro jacket perspective.

Still, personally, its priced fairly substantially higher than what I would be willing to pay for it.

Part of the fun for me is in the hunt for these jackets and finding them, though increasingly rarely, in places that are NOT hipster vintage shops or other places where they are marked up and or exposed to the masses. Don't get me wrong---I love purchasing here in the Lounge if its ever possible to survive the BRUTAL SHARKS in my weightclass!! But the Small shops, flea markets, garage/estate sales, are all still fun to comb thru if I have the time. It's a little less fun, and less satisfying perhaps paying hipster mark up at a shop on Melrose.

All that said, the reality is that a cool true vintage jacket that fits is WHERE YOU FIND IT. You try to buy it when you see it if at all possible or the next time you see it will be in the HOW MANY NEW JACKETS DO YOU HAVE COMING......thread.
Well put, thank you for saying what I think but can not find the right words myself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters