Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I see CSC too. I figure it will come down in price eventually. If he did pay $1500, only way I see that is via a huge mark-up at some designer store (Fred Segal?). Or is Fred just some dude that fleeced this guy?

I searched the name. You need to visit too. Don't bother to bring a jacket, I loan while in town.

Yes, CSC it may be. the back especially. they liked to play with the front configuration, so like factory! The were probably one of the largest makers in their day, maybe the largest. They sold nationwide with their label and shop label plus making jackets for the big retailers. I have found nothing on the company. That is a challenge: What about this company? better sleuths here than me.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Has signs of a California Sportswear jacket from the early 50s,
It looks identical to my csc Montgomery Ward. Mine has lining though lol.

989C9AC7-648C-4006-9683-14F9AA730188.jpeg
F18EA690-6503-43D2-AEC2-137253FC9A1E.jpeg
0DDA2609-6EBD-454B-B8B8-8FF6A88F8877.jpeg
D71BA482-7F30-4CCA-A276-6321DD6E46F5.jpeg

Last edited:

Claybertrand

One Too Many
You have to come and visit. I insist. you are killing me
I'd love to trek out to @tmitchell59 's FIELD OF LEATHER JACKET DREAMS!!!!!!!!!

It would be great to have meet ups with members. @photo2u and I recently talked about the idea of doing it regionally/locally some day. Dreaming of the big NATIONAL MEET UP---it should be some place in the middle of the country. Galesburg IL, generally meets that criteria. Terry says if you show up driving a Miata, you can camp in his yard!!!! Lol (BTW---I still throw LOLs because my emoji's don't seem to post) If I happen to be able to get a hold of a Miata, I will need to trailer in my jackets though..........

@Marc mndt , @Mysteryo, @Wildhorses, @Robbie79 , @MrProper, @Carlos840 , @Monitor anyone I missed AND ALL THE BLOKES IN THE UK, where would the Euro Meet Up take place???????!!!! We gotta PLAN this stuff out!!! Don't tell me somehow we are meeting up in QATAR for some reason!!! You can't play football OR wear leather jackets there!!!!!!

Last edited:

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Thanks to this thread---my compact sized buddy just scored this gem for $100........... I think like $108 all in with taxes.... I am demanding an in person jealousy inspection of this fine looking garment when it gets here in the next few days. Royal Mail is quicker than domestic shipping it seems. Anyway, if it fits him, I shouldn't have to pay for beers for awhile.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165669079727?ViewItem=&item=165669079727

I know the original “original Herc” is a highly valuable piece but man I’d have a hard time parting with $200 for that jacket. You can almost hear Satan’s symphony of split seams without even attempting to put it on. I remember the $600 Herc Barnstormwr I had that did just that. Actually made me run away from vintage for a good long while.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I know the original “original Herc” is a highly valuable piece but man I’d have a hard time parting with $200 for that jacket. You can almost hear Satan’s symphony of split seams without even attempting to put it on. I remember the $600 Herc Barnstormwr I had that did just that. Actually made me run away from vintage for a good long while.
Its a risky proposition for 4 digits.. I was messaging with the shop owner and he was like, "Well I can't set a price. It's not my jacket." Then he texted the guy and came back and told me he wanted to start at $1500 but that if I wanted to make an offer I could.. I asked for measurements anyway---Though its asking price is too rich for my blood!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Then he texted the guy and came back and told me he wanted to start at $1500 but that if I wanted to make an offer I could..
I might consider $1200 for one in mint condition but $1500 for this basket case? That guy or his "consignor" are nuts. Let's not "waste their time" lol.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I might consider $1200 for one in mint condition but $1500 for this basket case? That guy or his "consignor" are nuts. Let's not "waste their time" lol.

I have a basket case and this is much better. LIke the guy says, make him an offer and go from there. No one is going to pay $1500 for this jacket without a lot of questions and pics, no one.

They don't know anything about vintage leather jackets, just like most people. They pick a crazy price, so what? you don't have to pay it.

If you think a mint one is worth $1200 then make him an offer for this one based on that.

Tell me, if you owned this jacket what would you ask for it?

for comparison; a basket case
https://photos.app.goo.gl/n2J3p18MBdz3iGW77

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Tell me, if you owned this jacket what would you ask for it?
That's a good question. I guess what one's willing to pay depends on the type of buyer/collector.

Personally I only buy jackets that I can wear without having to worry about them falling apart. I like to wear them on a night out, to the gym, to the office, even when running errands. Therefore most of my jackets are in near mint condition. If not I'd have to baby them which would take the fun out of it for me. Therefore I'm not willing to pay much for a jacket like this.

Now from a collector's standpoint this is a crazy rare jacket, a holy grail in reasonable condition. You could search all corners of the internet for years and not find another one like this. If I were that kind of collector and this would be the missing piece from my collection then yeah I'd pay whatever the guy is asking.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner