Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Thank you very much for thinking of me, Monitor!:)

I hope it fits you great!:cool:

Well, I spotted this police jacket. I don't know the maker (Taubers?), but its corduroy at collar suggests 40s-50s to me. Maybe the price is a little too high: 690€...

Vinted.it

1648730282.jpeg

Nice looking police jacket. I don't think Taubers, but San Francisco Bay area with that salmon inner hem piece. Can't tell if the collar buttons down. Looks like an All Weather jacket from the bay area. Taubers also used this color inner leather hem.

Coriu

One Too Many
Same here on knits. Had a few, I feel/look like Michelin tire mascot. No longer have one and pass on them
Completely respect that. I'll share a perspective. Forgive me if it's too much information LOL. Some of us out there have/had builds like Olympic sprinters...tiny waists, huge thighs and huge glutes...what I guess some people today call a bubble butt. Add on top of that being well endowed in front, and...well, let's just say I was very sensitive about drawing attention to my waist/crotch area growing up.

I was sensitive about length of garments because certain things really accentuated ":the shelf" in back and "the bulge" in front. Knits, be it on jackets or sweaters, with some "blousiness," helped "soften" the transition from upper to lower body.

The way some wear their jackets draws the eyes straight to the crotch, especially when wearing tight fitting pants. Looks great on some, but it is not a look for all. For professional functions, especially with an older crowd at stodgy companies, the knit or a longer length coat has its place. Personally I could care less what people wear, but I learned the hard way that people often judge you by your clothes in the business world.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Interesting jacket. Crown zip?

View attachment 414298
Love the grain and over all appearance

Claybertrand

One Too Many
The knits.

Just me Knit Pickin the Knitty Gritty here...........

I don't prefer the knits to the leather gauntlet style cuffs or the snapped/buttoned cuffs but if a jacket style really calls for knits, so long as the sleeves are my size and the knits are in good condition, I can live with them. For me, I have a couple that are in my collection----I actually have a Knopf HH like the subject jacket, and an old goatskin Langlitz both of which fit me well and have good knits. I think the subject jacket has darn good knits for the age. I didn't see any issues with them.

Since I collect mainly vintage jackets, the clear issue is that Knits are very often thrashed with older jackets. Luckily its a pretty typical and not TOO costly repair to have new ones (and waist bands) put on. That said, its a cost that isn't necessary with non knit jackets and this is my main reason for steering clear of them most of the time if the knits are shabby. The knit jackets I do have were bought because they had no knit issues.

So I think they are acceptable on the right jackets but I totally agree though with the overall distain for the BLOUSY look. I have one vintage jacket that is pretty cool and has new knits but they're not broken in enough and are so snug that the sleeves are a bit blousy. Me no likey!!!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

What a Beast of a jacket. This is the 3rd of this Peters style that has come out the last 1-2 years. I think the other 2 were around this size.

There is that salmon colored inner leather hem, all those bay area makers used this.

1648873122326.png
1648873161772.png
1648873228235.png

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

What a Beast of a jacket. This is the 3rd of this Peters style that has come out the last 1-2 years. I think the other 2 were around this size.

There is that salmon colored inner leather hem, all those bay area makers used this.

View attachment 415249 View attachment 415250 View attachment 415251

This is the one from the classifieds a couple of weeks ago :

Wildhorses

Practically Family
Thank you very much for thinking of me, Monitor!:)

I hope it fits you great!:cool:

Well, I spotted this police jacket. I don't know the maker (Taubers?), but its corduroy at collar suggests 40s-50s to me. Maybe the price is a little too high: 690€...

Vinted.it

1648730282.jpeg

I have seen the jacket on ebay, and sent some offers. The seller wants too much for it.
Terry had a similar one, All weather, with no laces at the waist. If the seller changes their mind, who knows...

Zoltan

New in Town
Recently purchased this jacket. An early Eastman with a made up contract number and style? The last owner had it for 15 years and he purchased the jacket from an old gentleman. The inner pocket was probably added at a later time? There is something written on the lining but can't make it out. The lining around the neck is in bad condition and the zipper will need changing at some point. Still functioning with care.
I was thinking of sending the jacket back to Eastman and have re lined and a new zipper fitted. Or just leave it as it is? Still wearable in the present state, a bit big for me but I could use it on the motorbike with armour. It is quiet heavy at almost 2kg. What does the community think?

Attachments

• E2.jpg
    E2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 51
  • E3.jpg
    E3.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 51
  • E5.jpg
    E5.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 58
  • E6.jpg
    E6.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 59
  • E11.jpg
    E11.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 56
  • E10.jpg
    E10.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 54
  • E12.jpg
    E12.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 46
  • E7.jpg
    E7.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 44
  • E8.jpg
    E8.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 48
  • E9.jpg
    E9.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 44

Coriu

One Too Many
Just me Knit Pickin the Knitty Gritty here...........

I don't prefer the knits to the leather gauntlet style cuffs or the snapped/buttoned cuffs but if a jacket style really calls for knits, so long as the sleeves are my size and the knits are in good condition, I can live with them. For me, I have a couple that are in my collection----I actually have a Knopf HH like the subject jacket, and an old goatskin Langlitz both of which fit me well and have good knits. I think the subject jacket has darn good knits for the age. I didn't see any issues with them.

Since I collect mainly vintage jackets, the clear issue is that Knits are very often thrashed with older jackets. Luckily its a pretty typical and not TOO costly repair to have new ones (and waist bands) put on. That said, its a cost that isn't necessary with non knit jackets and this is my main reason for steering clear of them most of the time if the knits are shabby. The knit jackets I do have were bought because they had no knit issues.

So I think they are acceptable on the right jackets but I totally agree though with the overall distain for the BLOUSY look. I have one vintage jacket that is pretty cool and has new knits but they're not broken in enough and are so snug that the sleeves are a bit blousy. Me no likey!!!
The style with the knits (flight jacket) is just as not as popular as other styles imo. I routinely see vintage horsehide flight jackets for half the price of more popular styles in HH such as biker or HWM or whatever. I mean style generally, I don't refer to rare flight jackets; these of course command high prices.
Thank you for the responses. That makes great sense (and I agree) that knits can be a huge liability on an older jacket. I am not particularly a fan of knits, but believe they have their place in a wardrobe. I've noticed people here tend not to prefer them, but once in a while I will see some excitement generated over a jacket with them and wonder what it is about that particular jacket.

Concerning the style being "not as popular," precisely who are we talking about, ie the general population? As a high school teacher, I get to see thousands of teenagers and what they where. Living near a large university, I also get to see many college students. Outside of goths and kids who ride, I cannot remember the last time I saw a kid with a leather jacket that did not have knits. Over the past 40 years, American youth have clearly favored knits. There is a subculture built around Pelle Pelle leather jackets. That's why I thought it somewhat funny when marc called a certain flight jacket one for "old men."

Concerning flight jackets....many of the guys I see on TFL are in great shape. Likewise, airmen who wore them (my father was a Korean War Air Force vet) historically were in fantastic shape and didn't have to worry about looking like the Michelin man. I understand why some might not like them, but it puzzles me why some would think of them as an "old man jacket"...no different than saying a DR is a young man's jacket. By the way, I love being an old man..one can always put the "crazy old man" card and get away with much more.:)

Coriu

One Too Many

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
This is the one from the classifieds a couple of weeks ago :

Peter's Tailor Made...only $4500
That one was bought in TFL Classifieds for a grand a few weeks ago, as discovered by @Marc mndt . A quick flip, pretty ambitious. I'd be curious who bought it and whether the flip will be successful. $4500 is very rich.

Coriu

One Too Many
Didn't think this justified a thread, so just a bit of news...maybe a new source of future leather for UK? Rangers Donovan Wright and Tom Gibbs will be introducing a herd of European bison (Bison bonasus) into 500 hectares (1250 acres) of primeval woods in southern England in a $1.4 million project run by the Kent Wildlife Trust. The ancient woodland is filled with broadleaf oak trees, birch and hazel. It has been ages since UK had wild bison.

The bison reintroduction has been so successful in Yellowstone in the US that they are now allowing hunting of the animals...a great source of meat and skins. The horsemeat trade in the UK is becoming more contentious. I think we sometimes forget that those skins on our backs come from a critter.:)

Wildhorses

Practically Family
Recently purchased this jacket. An early Eastman with a made up contract number and style? The last owner had it for 15 years and he purchased the jacket from an old gentleman. The inner pocket was probably added at a later time? There is something written on the lining but can't make it out. The lining around the neck is in bad condition and the zipper will need changing at some point. Still functioning with care.
I was thinking of sending the jacket back to Eastman and have re lined and a new zipper fitted. Or just leave it as it is? Still wearable in the present state, a bit big for me but I could use it on the motorbike with armour. It is quiet heavy at almost 2kg. What does the community think?

Eastman A2 are well made jackets, generally historically correct, and nice today with their recent warhorse leather. But they cost at least 1000£ for the cheapest ones, and more than 1200 or 1300£ depending on customisation. Your jacket is not an original contract, but their "Home" A2 jacket, that was costing less than 499£ at the time, and using a midweight HH that was hard to get some aging with. The Home A2 was baggier than the Orig contracts ones. There was no inside pockets in these A2. I know that cargo pockets were added in some A2 jackets, for paras needing space for their maps, but it's always strange looking in an A2. The great thing in this Home A2 is that the leather gained some grain with wear.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 415249 View attachment 415250 View attachment 415251

I missed this in the classifieds, must have been sleeping. Sold for $1k. Ebay price is unrealistic. A most impressive jacket, they didn't hold back when they designed this beast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24