Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Wildhorses

Practically Family
Not sure if this was posted already.

It's a size 38. Seller won't send photos with measurements... I received an offer at $250, may be worth it if it fits someone.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
It's a size 38. Seller won't send photos with measurements... I received an offer at $250, may be worth it if it fits someone.
The measurements vary depending on the platform where you ask lol

7CF204FA-A7E4-48D1-8D25-D0DF89475BF1.jpeg
17F05B43-F2D8-446B-BCA3-9B457B91F70C.jpeg

Wildhorses

Practically Family
The measurements vary depending on the platform where you ask lol

View attachment 426085 View attachment 426086
Some sellers don't understand what I need. I don't want numbers, but photos.
Last time I did trust a seller about measurements I received a jacket 2 sizes too big.
This seller says "medium large" with 19,5' PtP... Something must be wrong.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Cool HH Rich Sher in very good condition. Knits are a little ragged but the leather is excellent and the tags including the union made tag---are all intact. Larger vintage size but it has a super SHORT back (23 1/8") or I'd have snatched it up. Decent price and offers could always be made................... Seller very responsive to queries.

1652734701212.png

Wildhorses

Practically Family
Last edited:
I’ve been told by sellers they don’t do pictures of measurements. One recently.

Ok, but if you are going to ask $600 for a vtg wool jacket, you probably should lol.
In my experience a seller who won't do this is not worth doing business with and likely lying about the size, which will all but guarantee the item gets returned, for any reason the buyer selects from the drop down menu of options. I can't understand why any seller would invite this hassle over posting a simple series of pics.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I am SO happy you got it. It looks to be in great condition and if indeed it is, this is an incredible find. I was shocked when the seller sent me the offer for $300. I hope that is what you got it for. If I am not mistaken, this one is a bit larger than the one you posted years back. This one is roomy through the shoulders. To get a motorcycle jacket by this iconic company is just mindblowing. I wonder how many are around?

I found this write-up on the company.

On a side note, I find it interesting that a number of famous leather companies were started by Jewish immigrants, ie Schott, Grais, Roughwear, etc. We owe a lot to the skills many Europeans and Russians brought with them to the US.

Thanks for posting that link on the RoughWear history. I had not seen that. A great write up. At one point making 12,000 A2 jackets per week!!!! Interesting my new RoughWear comes from Pennsylvania not far from the factory

Their civilian jackets do not show up for sale. No idea why. I do suspect they did make jackets with no label or other store labels. Their high quality materials and workmanship are there with or without a label.

Taubers were also of Russian descent.

Thanks again for you research!

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Thanks for posting that link on the RoughWear history. I had not seen that. A great write up. At one point making 12,000 A2 jackets per week!!!! Interesting my new RoughWear comes from Pennsylvania not far from the factory

Their civilian jackets do not show up for sale. No idea why. I do suspect they did make jackets with no label or other store labels. Their high quality materials and workmanship are there with or without a label.

Taubers were also of Russian descent.

Thanks again for you research!
Irving Schott was also of Russian descent (the son of Russian immigrants)

Peacoat

Bartender
In the Eastman blog about Roughwear, it was stated, "In 1935 Mike Jacobs transferred to the New York office and went on the road. In 1938 Mike and Eleanor Kirschenbaum were married and the following year Mike returned to Middletown as vice president of the company. He had started at the very bottom, but through hard work he now found himself near the very top of this thriving business."

Yes, through "hard work" he made it to near the top of the business, but I imagine it didn't hurt him any by marrying one of the owners.

In the Eastman blog about Roughwear, it was stated, "In 1935 Mike Jacobs transferred to the New York office and went on the road. In 1938 Mike and Eleanor Kirschenbaum were married and the following year Mike returned to Middletown as vice president of the company. He had started at the very bottom, but through hard work he now found himself near the very top of this thriving business."

Yes, through "hard work" he made it to near the top of the business, but I imagine it didn't hurt him any by marrying one of the owners.

The marriage may be the hard work they reference. Lol.

chollie

One of the Regulars
Brooks 42 looks in good condition, different main zipper than the talons on pockets and sleeves??
I've been looking for one this size at a good price for a little while. Mine was the only bid.
My guess is that the main zip was replaced at some point?

Last edited:
Kehoe Brown Steerhide CR Size 42 Auction ends in 15 hours $29 opening bid
I don’t know why these Kehoe jackets are so cheap! The brown ones may not be the same amazing leather as the black ones, but they are equal to Brooks in hide quality. The design and build surpass Brooks IMHO. Truly a steal if you can get them under $100 (and you can). The common problem is that some sellers can’t find the size tag (it is in a pocket) and tend to advertise them incorrectly.

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I've been looking for one this size at a good price for a little while. Mine was the only bid.
My guess is that the main zip was replaced at some point?

Looks great! This is an earlier Brooks from the 60s. I am not familiar with this main zipper. I think it is original. From the sewing tracks it doesn't look like a redo. These are great jackets, Congratulations! I need to get mine out, so nice and light.

Coriu

One Too Many
I don’t know why these Kehoe jackets are so cheap! The brown ones may not be the same amazing leather as the black ones, but they are equal to Brooks in hide quality. The design and build surpass Brooks IMHO. Truly a steal if you can get them under $100 (and you can). The common problem is that sellers can’t find the size tag (it is in a pocket) and advertise them incorrectly.
Sold for $76 with $11 shipping. That's just silly.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Also is the mention of the jackets for the Admiral Byrd expedition. I'm thinking they made the Admiral Byrd line of jackets, some were sold with a catalog label attached others were not. I have one with both and it is high quality.

chollie

One of the Regulars
NIce grab. Straight up classic.
Had one forever in a 40 but got a little tight and moved it along. These are great easy to wear jackets. My Vanson PLU3 in the old comp weight will always be my favorite cafe, but I always found myself reaching for the Brooks more.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ