Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Al 916

One Too Many
Vanson F Grey

https://www.grailed.com/listings/31...hip_affiliate&utm_medium=partner_post&irgwc=1

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 09.06.02.png

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I really like this 50s Penneys Horsehide Jacket - have never seen on before with the double pouch pockets. From the photos it looks like it’s in incredible condition.

Penneys 50s Horsehide

I owned that jacket, the only one like it I have seen. It has incredible horsehide leather, but so small. The asking price is over 1K! I had a hard time selling it for much less.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I remember the days when I used to be called baldy,, then I looked in the mirror, guess what,I'm bald. , so now I just reply with a friendly "shut up you fat cnut" I've never understood this woke nonsense.:)

I recently read that the term "BALDY" is now considered a term of SEXUAL HARASSMENT in the UK. Maybe you can just sue for Wig money????????!!!! We baldies need to stick together to fight against Sexual Harassment. When a woman calls me BALDY.................... I feel so USED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wish it happened more often!

Claybertrand

One Too Many

I have a brown one of these and its a great fitting CR. I know obviously that fit is very personal but this is the second best fitting Cafe Racer I own just behind the HD Sportster One pocket. I recently did a try on of all my CRs and the Golden Bear is one of the best. I was surprised how much I like the fit. This one looks really cool.

triady

New in Town
I owned that jacket, the only one like it I have seen. It has incredible horsehide leather, but so small. The asking price is over 1K! I had a hard time selling it for much less.
Very cool. I’ve never seen anything like it either. I like the suede leather at the top, and the pouch pockets with side hand-warmer pockets. If it wasn’t so small I’d consider buying it, even at that price. It’s just so unusual. Do you know anything about its history? Wondering if maybe it was meant to be a women’s jacket?
1659820701100.jpeg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Very cool. I’ve never seen anything like it either. I like the suede leather at the top, and the pouch pockets with side hand-warmer pockets. If it wasn’t so small I’d consider buying it, even at that price. It’s just so unusual. Do you know anything about its history? Wondering if maybe it was meant to be a women’s jacket?
View attachment 443008

Yes, it is a ladies jacket size 18. Here is an album with measurements.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JMBKtnv8lhiRq9ot2

The album below is the nicest Windward I have seen. This style was also done with other labels. Was also seen in steerhide with a detachable collar. They were a popular style.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6pap3Yk4WuEn0NZz1

I don't know anything about the black horsehide. This label is typical for the 1950s. Some list "made in West".
The Black jacket is striking. I have not seen another in this style in black.

This has the made in West label. I was mistaken saying "made in California". West? Where?

1659822005180.jpeg
1659822214332.jpeg
1659822214764.jpeg

Claybertrand

One Too Many
View attachment 443008

This style is not super rare although it's not seen as often as some others. I have seen this in Windward, and Aldencrest for certain. Not sure if Hercules (Sears) made one too. So the design itself is not what is special here to me. Might have even all been made by the same maker and just tagged per each retailer---that is how prevalent the style was across different brands. What is special here is the Hide and the fact that its in great shape and is older than most. That graining looks like early horsehide.

@jonbuilder currently has a brown Windward in this same style for sale in the Classifieds here in the Lounge. Its a size 44 Horsehide but the hide is not like this one. Then again, neither is the price. These run SHORT in the back as I recall..... but that may be just to a certain point. What I mean is, it seems they are all like 23-24" long in the back regardless of size.

Here is the link to jon's listing......

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...orsehide-leather-jacket-brown-size-44.105629/

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Yes, it is a ladies jacket size 18. Here is an album with measurements.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JMBKtnv8lhiRq9ot2

The album below is the nicest Windward I have seen. This style was also done with other labels. Was also seen in steerhide with a detachable collar. They were a popular style.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6pap3Yk4WuEn0NZz1

I don't know anything about the black horsehide. This label is typical for the 1950s. Some list "made in West".
The Black jacket is striking. I have not seen another in this style in black.

This has the made in West label. I was mistaken saying "made in California". West? Where?

View attachment 443013 View attachment 443014 View attachment 443015
I have this same model jacket in a Hercules. It is not the Palm Tree Label that we associate with the California Sportswear made jackets though. I wonder who made these??? COULD they be California Sportswear??????? Way to narrow it down to a mere DIRECTION Penny's!!!!!!! MADE AND STYLED IN THE WEST!?!?!?!?!?!?!? WTH!?!?!?

triady

New in Town
Those are all awesome jackets. I really like the brown Windward in the photo album tmitchel. I agree Clay, how many makers, how many labels, or all one maker and many labels.
In the end, though, just having these great jackets still out there in such amazing condition is a real testament to enduring design, quality of materials and amazing workmanship. No matter who the maker, they’ve stood the test of time.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I remember the days when I used to be called baldy,, then I looked in the mirror, guess what,I'm bald. , so now I just reply with a friendly "shut up you fat cnut" I've never understood this woke nonsense.:)
I do not mean to be picking on you I just chose your post as an example. I do not believe all the references to our man down under and name calling belong on this thread.

Craig from Craigslist

One of the Regulars
Yeah I know I keep posting trucker jackets but here's one I know basically nothing about.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115487340197?hash=item1ae394f6a5:g:0MUAAOSwg81i7zyJ

Looking up this brand "US Cavalry" in Radcliffe Kentucky brings up a now-closed military surplus store. If anyone knows who could have made this jacket for them (tags show it's made in the USA) this could be a find and deal at $100.

1659886297864.png

stook1

New in Town
This appears to be a size 40 Aero Board Racer for [potentially] a good price.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
This appears to be a size 40 Aero Board Racer for [potentially] a good price.

[/URL]

The lower price is because the tag indicates this jacket was APPRENTICE/TRAINEE MADE.......... I'm not scoffing at it. Just pointing out the reason for the seemingly deeply discounted price. I think its cool that Aero trains its people and sells the products that they make like this. Just be advised, the Archer label is the Trainee Label.

stook1

New in Town
The lower price is because the tag indicates this jacket was APPRENTICE/TRAINEE MADE.......... I'm not scoffing at it. Just pointing out the reason for the seemingly deeply discounted price. I think its cool that Aero trains its people and sells the products that they make like this. Just be advised, the Archer label is the Trainee Label.

Good call out --- clicked through the pics a bit too fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot