Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

TSW

Familiar Face
Lesco jacket size 40 with liner. https://offerup.com/item/detail/44d00615-08d7-3cfc-9169-24b1979fda5d?q=lesco+jacket
1662640069171.png

Bluechel

Practically Family
Not that I enjoy paying Fees (OR SALES TAXES) but I feel like with OfferUp----You get what you DON'T pay for.

I have bought on every platform except Grailed so far and every time I venture into OfferUp...... It leaves a bad taste for me. Poshmark has its own frustrating issues (as do they all I suppose) but with OffeUp---it seems like there are a lot of dead or stale listings and it feels like. the Sellers are often less than motivated to communicate much. Its a BUY IT or LEAVE IT deal in most cases in my experience because the back and forth seems like you're sending Carrier Pigeons compared to other platforms.

I get it. Its FREE. Maybe I have just got spoiled by other platforms or had bad experiences. I DID pick up a cool JL Cafe Racer for a good price one time on OfferUp and I DO look there from time to time to beat the bushes but for the most part, I'm not a fan.
On the very rare instance that OFFERUP works, you can get golden deals. However, 97% of the time it's dipstick alley.

I recently bought an expensive camera off OfferUp, and while the transaction seemed a bit dicey at first I liked that I could see it and test it out in person before I paid. The seller did say that he’d never experienced so many “scammy” messages before, and someone even took out a fake listing using his photos to rip someone else off.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I recently bought an expensive camera off OfferUp, and while the transaction seemed a bit dicey at first I liked that I could see it and test it out in person before I paid. The seller did say that he’d never experienced so many “scammy” messages before, and someone even took out a fake listing using his photos to rip someone else off.
I totally agree. I use OfferUp mainly to purchase local things only. Likewise, I just purchased the sewing machine I have been looking for. I paid 1/8 of the price of the local retailer. The seller was a nice, sweet old retired gent who just does not need this workhorse of a machine. I do often look, however, for building materials that I can easily pick up. I am on the hunt for the old-school fire brick to make an incredible French/Mexican poso for my outdoor kitchen. Newly-made firebrick is just not up to par with the older ones. Besides, the bricks currently are so overpriced. I see OfferUp as a modern recycler.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I can totally understand the benefit of an arms length transaction in the case of something high priced like a camera and I am not surprised to hear of the scammy side of OfferUp. If dudes have infiltrated the Fedora Lounge to scam people on an obscure product like vintage or reproduction leather jackets, then the epidemic of fraud has Jumped the Shark and is officially rampant. I KNOW some of you have seen your OWN JACKETS used in these fake online stores that appear to be out of India. Many of our jackets are posted there and like, every jacket is $58!!!!!!! You KNOW its fake when the jacket advertised is hanging in YOUR OWN CLOSET!!!!!!!!!

What a world!!!!!!

Claybertrand

One Too Many
One cool jacket! This is a style I seek, I have nothing quite like this, but it must fit! This one is very small.

View attachment 449895
@tmitchell59 What do you make of the hide on this jacket?? Calfskin? Doesn't look to be Capeskin.......... I have seen this graining on old jackets and I have a couple with this kind of graining (tho nothing as cool as THIS one). Maybe its just Cowhide. I just wonder what you think of it. I believe it was listed as suede......... its not suede from what I can see.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
What do you make of the hide on this jacket?? Calfskin?
I bought the Californian below in Calfskin to identify the leather on another Californian with a Sears Topline label. The Topline does not identify the leather. It is the same as the Calfskin Californian..so, I had the same issue with this leather. It is unique in look and feel. The Penney jacket does look like calfskin.

1662685151739.jpeg
1662685185377.jpeg
1662685252588.jpeg
1662685313793.jpeg

This is the Sears Topline, made by California Sportswear c.1941, no leather tag, but is the Calfskin.

Until I got the labeled Calfskin jacket I did not know. That Topline is among the finest leather jackets I own, hence my search to identify the leather. It is a style that I also have in Goatskin, also fine leather.

In hand this Calfskin is very soft, the one below is also substantial

1662685508908.jpeg
1662685561037.jpeg

1662685620543.jpeg

1662685964239.jpeg

This is the Goatskin version

1662686199493.jpeg

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I bought the Californian below in Calfskin to identify the leather on another Californian with a Sears Topline label. The Topline does not identify the leather. It is the same as the Calfskin Californian..so, I had the same issue with this leather. It is unique in look and feel. The Penney jacket does look like calfskin.

View attachment 449897 View attachment 449898 View attachment 449899 View attachment 449900
This is the Sears Topline, made by California Sportswear c.1941, no leather tag, but is the Calfskin.

Until I got the labeled Calfskin jacket I did not know. That Topline is among the finest leather jackets I own, hence my search to identify the leather. It is a style that I also have in Goatskin, also fine leather.

In hand this Calfskin is very soft, the one below is also substantial

View attachment 449901 View attachment 449902
View attachment 449903
View attachment 449904
Good work @tmitchell59 --- calfskin seems to have its own unique graining but you just don't see it as often as other hides. Usually I only see it on true older vintage pieces. I used to think it was capeskin but capeskin actually does not have pronounced graining like goat does. When I see this leather---I am always stuck trying to ID it. Calfskin it is!!!! Great pics!!!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

I have not seen a Taubers like this one above. Has the second label used through out the 50s and into the early 60s. Another interesting example from an interesting maker. This Taubers below is an earlier style. I have seen a couple of others like this, one was brown. Top five of my collection.

The jacket for sale is also big, size 46/48

1662751892570.jpeg
1662751929152.jpeg
1662751959540.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko