Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Passaic @Monitor @torfjord

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1843088008...CJi9omFSVa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

91CE5FE1-4E62-4240-BD29-E83D019D1A18.jpeg

Mysteryo

One Too Many

The label says so…
Never seen this configuration for a Durable before, but it has all the features and construction of a Durable. I’d guess a latter model, because it’s Cowhide: in the late 50’s and from the 60’s, with the industrialisation of agriculture, horse was replaced by machines in a bigger scale, and so became scarcer. The predominant hide was then cow. Some say that ins these days, cow/steerhide was better quality than horse itself…

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The label says so…
Never seen this configuration for a Durable before, but it has all the features and construction of a Durable. I’d guess a latter model, because it’s Cowhide: in the late 50’s and from the 60’s, with the industrialisation of agriculture, horse was replaced by machines in a bigger scale, and so became scarcer. The predominant hide was then cow. Some say that ins these days, cow/steerhide was better quality than horse itself…
I was searching for the paperclip Crown. Those stars are definitely an afterthought.

Damon141

Practically Family
Main zipper may be a replacement. Haven’t seen such a Talon zipper before this one, very square shape…
Same for a snap on belt. But with Durable, so many configurations can be seen within the gallery of different models…
Not sure if this indicates a sleeve zipper replacement or probably just a wavering stitch.
That Talon has a bump or hump which is unlike the common boxy talon. 26A7C6B6-2052-4681-866E-B794FB4DABAB.jpeg 7792CC2C-5283-4B9B-8134-F8D94BA580B6.jpeg

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Durable was ahead of their times in many ways. Their older cross zipper jackets had the military #10 with the wide teeth. Those are (to me) the strongest zips available in that size. The particular jacket in the wild one had those mili zips. Harley also started to use the #10 zips in their late 50's jackets. Personally, I think those Talon #10 are strong as hell. Just my view Furthermore, I would take a 50's mili. Conmar over the crown. Personally, I believe that crowns are way over hipped by modern marketing strategies. I would however, take a paper clip #10 crown over a spring loaded one. Regarding #5, zips, that is another would of possibilities. #5 mili conmars are very hard to beat in terms of durability. Looks is all about then nickel crowns NOT very strong but so cool to rock them.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Not sure if this indicates a sleeve zipper replacement or probably just a wavering stitch.
That Talon has a bump or hump which is unlike the common boxy talon. View attachment 477097 View attachment 477098
Those are nice talons (sleeves). Look at the bottom stop. Talon all the way. The main zipper is a strong mili zip. They are all appear original to me. Unless the person who did the job did a pristine job in those replacement including the correct thread used in the process. Back on the day, those jackets did not fail that easy with that beast of a main zipper. Lastly, what makes sense to me based on vintage repairs is that in the old days they were not as careful with cross zips.

Last edited:
Great info all. I knew it was a Durable, albeit a config I hadn’t seen before. The snap belt did throw me off at first, even after seeing the ciggy pocket. I just pinged Marc to see if he was interested in it. I think it’s his size, or thereabouts.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Great info all. I knew it was a Durable, albeit a config I hadn’t seen before. The snap belt did throw me off at first, even after seeing the ciggy pocket. I just pinged Marc to see if he was interested in it. I think it’s his size, or thereabouts.
It's on the small side for me at 22" ptp, sleeves definitely too short if they're indeed 22.5 as stated.

But more importantly, if you ignore the lineage back to the wild one (which I personally don't care all that much about) how special is this jacket really?

In terms of quality to me this jacket doesn't look any better than the Brent I got from you. I actually think the Brent is a better looking jacket. The Windward I got from you is twice as nice, imo.

Anyway, I appreciate the ping. I own a couple of absolute grail pieces thanks to your pings :)

C58E0720-B772-4554-B424-182D5222B911.jpeg
ACB11D10-E9E3-4AC0-AA0F-5016221DF4C6.jpeg

It's on the small side for me at 22" ptp, sleeves definitely too short if they're indeed 22.5 as stated.

But more importantly, if you ignore the lineage back to the wild one (which I personally don't care all that much about) how special is this jacket really?

In terms of quality to me this jacket doesn't look any better than the Brent I got from you. I actually think the Brent is a better looking jacket. The Windward I got from you is twice as nice, imo.

Anyway, I appreciate the ping. I own a couple of absolute grail pieces thanks to your pings :)

View attachment 477115 View attachment 477114
I agree. As far as Durables go it isn’t the nicest we have seen. But, it is a Durable, if different from their “norm”.

That Windward is special. I look at its photos in my archive from time to time.

I should have immediately hit BIN on the beautiful Durable that sold for $350 earlier this year. I just sat there pondering the too-close-to-ponder P2P on a hit the bin now!! grail jacket. Lol. It had a beautiful HH. Amateur move.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The label says so…
The snaps on the belt seems like DIY work. Irregular spacing between snaps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko