Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

RiteStuffBryan

One of the Regulars
Here’s some examples of J.C. Penney’s Sterling label, but as far as I know Sterling was a house sub-brand used by Penneys:

906D4A0B-409B-4292-B546-7228D1B925D1.jpeg

2BD657B7-D66B-4B8F-9725-527D8F947674.jpeg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I’d say it probably is, the cuffs too are the ‘30s Hercules ones, this is a nice sort of cross between a car coat and the Herc double-breasted style:

View attachment 500336
I have this jacket in Black, one is for sale in Japan in Brown, also pictured above..there is another on ebay maybe 2. One I asked about. The Brown one looked very nice. Mine is striking nice Horsehide, I commented on first feel. Notice in the ad they mention Chrome tanning. I you wear that brown one check it out closely, these are fine jackets.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Here’s some examples of J.C. Penney’s Sterling label, but as far as I know Sterling was a house sub-brand used by Penneys:

View attachment 500382

View attachment 500383
Excellent! Yes, most probably an in house brand, seems I have seen it paired with the skier. The long "barnstormer" styles were in the catalog every year, they were the most expensive outerwear garments. Lot of leather.

RiteStuffBryan

One of the Regulars
There was a very nice Sterling horsehide and sheepskin barnstormer on eBay for a while but I never bit and now it’s gone, oh well! Always seemed a bit too small but I don’t see them lately.

RiteStuffBryan

One of the Regulars
I have seen several JC Penny jackets in a barnstormer look with a label that says manufactured by Sterling. I do not have a pictured of this label at the moment. The lovely "'skiing label" One of the nicest labels, from mid to late 30s.

I believe several companies made these, Monarch, Roughwear, I would think all the big makers had some spin on this.

The single breast styling will bring money. I thought about this one, but these jackets are boats. I do like the look.

I hopefully have this coming in the mail tomorrow or Wed. I will be able to date this jacket by the Talon zipper, probably 1939

View attachment 500379 View attachment 500380 View attachment 500381
Also, I don’t want this one to get buried, what a wool half-belt!

RiteStuffBryan

One of the Regulars
I have this jacket in Black, one is for sale in Japan in Brown, also pictured above..there is another on ebay maybe 2. One I asked about. The Brown one looked very nice. Mine is striking nice Horsehide, I commented on first feel. Notice in the ad they mention Chrome tanning. I you wear that brown one check it out closely, these are fine jackets.
Definitely would love to handle that brown one in person and would love to see how the chrome tanned leather feels.

Jasonissm

Practically Family

Observe

Practically Family
Hope it's OK to post this here.

Just wanted to let you all know I have a few CHP style cross zips I'm going to be posting here in classifieds and/or on ebay in the coming days, once I get around to measuring and photos. 2 Golden Bear and 1 Johnson, all 46, but the GBs are more like a 42. JL definitely larger with about a 26.5" chest. If you've been on the hunt for a decently priced CHP, here's your heads up. You can trust that I will do my best to provide accurate measurements and an honest description. Cheers.

Claybertrand

One Too Many

soybean

New in Town
Even for an old 50s piece, that is an odd placement for the badge holder IMO. I get that its crowded on a CZ but even so.......that Belly Badge is strange to me...... I don't think I have seen one in that location on a jacket before.
I agree with you and btw it's my jacket. Lol. Bennie Goodson at Langlitz thought it was a weird location also. I posted a thread about the one piece back on this one but couldn't get anyone to venture a guess about its significance.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I agree with you and btw it's my jacket. Lol. Bennie Goodson at Langlitz thought it was a weird location also. I posted a thread about the one piece back on this one but couldn't get anyone to venture a guess about its significance.
Interesting jacket regardless. That one piece back is beautiful and grainy!!

I was initially thinking the badge holder was perhaps covering a hole or some other flaw. When I first saw it, it looked perhaps like it was not original and was possibly added to the jacket at a later date. The leather seemed somehow a bit different. But now looking at it a few more times that isn't jumping out at me. I wonder if Bennie could determine if it was originally installed by them??

Either way, cool jacket. GLWS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ