Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

jeo

One Too Many
@ton312 hmmm really?

I'm seeing the following:

Width (underarm): 58 cm/22.8"
Width at the waist: 54 cm/21.25"
Shoulder: 50 cm/19.6"
Length: 73 cm/28.7"
Sleeve (shoulder to cuff): 64 cm/25.2"
Sleeve (armpit to cuff): 44 cm/17.3"

Looks like a 44 or an XL to me.

jeo

One Too Many
Levi's. Says 50's.

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/u1083044625?conversionType=search_suggest_buyee_top

i-img768x1024-1677296043hgkd1d519230.jpg
i-img600x800-167729604317mluh460813.jpg

Claybertrand

One Too Many
What's a good price on these? Looks close to my size...
This listing is interesting because the size is so out of 99% the range of most Japanese potential buyers and its listed on their sales platform that is not frequented by the entire Western market. I would think there would be less competition for this jacket certainly among Japanese buyers but also among Euro/US buyers who are not regular purchasers on Japanese platforms. Sure it only takes one to drive up a price but this one might be a SLEEPER that doesn't go as high as one might think.

Something to keep an eye on. Also, regarding Schott, I believe they have re-created many of their classic labels and use them in more modern jackets. Not sure about the Cactus Label...... but I have seen Perfecto and also the Schott Crest labels that originally came on 60s jackets on much newer models. Again, not saying this is NOT an orignal Cactus Label........ I am just pointing out that they are re-using some of their vintage labels or at least, they were for a time. It would be crappy to THINK you are getting something NOS and legit OLD but ends up is a modern version with a remade vintage label. Perhaps look into this if its a concern.

Kinda like the State of California re-issuing Black and Gold license plates that only before were on older (60s-70s) cars and WERE something of a Vintage Badge on cars that still had them. NOW you got all kinds of clowns in electric rides rocking the Black and Gold NEW PLATES. There is nothing the State of California cannot ruin. NOTHING.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
This listing is interesting because the size is so out of 99% the range of most Japanese potential buyers and its listed on their sales platform that is not frequented by the entire Western market. I would think there would be less competition for this jacket certainly among Japanese buyers but also among Euro/US buyers who are not regular purchasers on Japanese platforms. Sure it only takes one to drive up a price but this one might be a SLEEPER that doesn't go as high as one might think.

Something to keep an eye on. Also, regarding Schott, I believe they have re-created many of their classic labels and use them in more modern jackets. Not sure about the Cactus Label...... but I have seen Perfecto and also the Schott Crest labels that originally came on 60s jackets on much newer models. Again, not saying this is NOT an orignal Cactus Label........ I am just pointing out that they are re-using some of their vintage labels or at least, they were for a time. It would be crappy to THINK you are getting something NOS and legit OLD but ends up is a modern version with a remade vintage label. Perhaps look into this if its a concern.

Kinda like the State of California re-issuing Black and Gold license plates that only before were on older (60s-70s) cars and WERE something of a Vintage Badge on cars that still had them. NOW you got all kinds of clowns in electric rides rocking the Black and Gold NEW PLATES. There is nothing the State of California cannot ruin. NOTHING.
Thanks for the info mate, It's interesting sometimes they are sleepers on Japanese auction sites, and sometimes they go for ridiculous amounts, maybe because of scarcity of these types of items in Japan.

52 watchers on this listing, hoping they're all here to kick rocks and try get something for dirt cheap, they usually are, especially on auctions with low starting bids (this one started at 1 yen bit less than a cent!)

Hopefully it will stay relatively low and within my budget. Will give a look into the label, the jacket itself looks to be in quite good condition, so I'll check if they have reissued this label.

Nacho

Practically Family
King O Fur grizzly jacket. One hell of a thing, ain't it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354192837714?hash=item527789cc52:g:PeEAAOSwucxi3vhz

s-l1600.jpg

Legend has it that King O Fur used to sell blankets back in the days under a different name. But time changed and people stopped buying blankets as much for some reasons. So that company switched to the King O Fur name and started selling these grizzly jackets. Unfortunately, this maker only lasted for a few years due to the death of its owner. Who knew if this company continued on and became some sort of the California Sportswear of the Midwest?

IMG_4820.JPG

IMG_4822.JPG

Last edited:

jeo

One Too Many
What's a good price on these? Looks close to my size...
I've seen these cactus label perfectos go in Japan up to $1500-$1700. I think that's way too much.

I've even seen the later ribbon labels go for a lot of money in Japan as well. I'm actually looking at one now, but it's $1500. It's pristine condition, but still too much.

I had the opportunity to buy a ribbon label one from a local shop here in Philly (saw it on IG), not great condition for $299, but someone beat me to it.

You can find the ribbon labels for less but you have to be patient and lucky.

The earlier cactus labels don't show up much. When they do they go for less on Ebay in the US than they do in Japan.

I'll tell you what I would do....If this was a 36 I would be biding on this up to anywhere around $500-$700. No more. And that's only because this one looks in great condition. If it was local and I could go see it in person, I would potentially pay a little more.

There are new Schotts w/ that old label that go for more than that.
Something to keep an eye on. Also, regarding Schott, I believe they have re-created many of their classic labels and use them in more modern jackets. Not sure about the Cactus Label......
Yes, they absolutely have recreated it. Many in the Japanese market. You always need to do your due diligence, especially with this one and especially since this one is coming out of Japan

I think this one is an original.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I've seen these cactus label perfectos go in Japan up to $1500-$1700. I think that's way too much.

I've even seen the later ribbon labels go for a lot of money in Japan as well. I'm actually looking at one now, but it's $1500. It's pristine condition, but still too much.

I had the opportunity to buy a ribbon label one from a local shop here in Philly (saw it on IG), not great condition for $299, but someone beat me to it.

You can find the ribbon labels for less but you have to be patient and lucky.

The earlier cactus labels don't show up much. When they do they go for less on Ebay in the US than they do in Japan.

I'll tell you what I would do....If this was a 36 I would be biding on this up to anywhere around $500-$700. No more. And that's only because this one looks in great condition. If it was local and I could go see it in person, I would potentially pay a little more.

There are new Schotts w/ that old label that go for more than that.

Yes, they absolutely have recreated it. Many in the Japanese market. You always need to do your due diligence, especially with this one and especially since this one is coming out of Japan

I think this one is an original.
Thank you for the advice, I would not pay up to $1500-1700, I will sit tight see where this one goes. I have seen many listed for about that much, but those are the listings that just sit around, I personally have not tracked any low start auctions before. I've always been interested in vintage Schott, but too many to look at, too many models, no clue where to start with them. Thank you for sharing and also letting me know reasonable pricing, fingers crossed on this one.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
1950s Buco J-24 with collar and belt size 36

i-img900x1200-16811833550yui1j296430.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic