Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

calvin006

New in Town
I’m gonna make my first purchase through classifieds today. What’s the usual safest transaction method; PayPal?
It's a matter of trust. Check the seller's history and reputation on their profile. If still unsure, you could ask for references to previous buyers.

Paypal F&F (friends and family) is popular because there are no fees. And also no PayPal buyer protection. If you want the buyer protection, then typically you would cover the fees.

calvin006

New in Town
You can, and maybe should, ask for buyers protection. But you also are new. I wouldn’t give it to you lol. I’ve never had an issue with established members, nor newer bubbas. Good luck.
This is a good point. A seller can get screwed by an unscrupulous buyer using PP buyer protection.

The trust door swings both ways. Start a conversation, get some info, and go for it if it feels good.

Nacho

Practically Family
Ever since we had that jersey fresh incident here, I've been playing it safe. I only buy from established members. Sure, I might miss out on some cool stuff but it isn't worth the hassle of being ripped off and the likes.

Truth is, there are so many nice jackets out there. Just have to know the proper search terms or the right connections. And a bit of luck. They're all parts of the hunt that makes this hobby fun and rewarding.

Last edited:

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a good point. A seller can get screwed by an unscrupulous buyer using PP buyer protection.

The trust door swings both ways. Start a conversation, get some info, and go for it if it feels good.

Ha I brought something from a fake shop online, seeming to be in Germany, using PayPal. The 'seller' quickly–within hours–added a USPS tracking number (I think there must be a website where you can pull tracking numbers that delivered to a given city) for someone's Amazon order that delivered to my city that day.

When I filed a dispute with PayPal, it was rejected. I had to call them, get through to a person, and explain what happened. Then I got my refund.

calvin006

New in Town
Ha I brought something from a fake shop online, seeming to be in Germany, using PayPal. The 'seller' quickly–within hours–added a USPS tracking number (I think there must be a website where you can pull tracking numbers that delivered to a given city) for someone's Amazon order that delivered to my city that day.

When I filed a dispute with PayPal, it was rejected. I had to call them, get through to a person, and explain what happened. Then I got my refund.
Oof that’s a good scam to get a “real” tracking number. Glad that you got it sorted, and getting an actual person at Paypal is not easy. But at least you got the right outcome.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Oof that’s a good scam to get a “real” tracking number. Glad that you got it sorted, and getting an actual person at Paypal is not easy. But at least you got the right outcome.
Getting a real person at PayPal and at eBay are both a lot easier now than they used to be. Typically the wait is less than 5 minutes. 15 years ago, it was a completely different story, with the path to contact a real human deliberately hidden, and grossly insufficient staff resulting in hold times as long as two hours. Those days it was a nightmare to try to seek arbitration, and they would place a considerable burden on the buyer, requiring them to get appraisals, repair estimates, etc. from third parties such as repair shops to support their case. It's a LOT different from that now. You can initiate a help chat and take it to a live agent chat or phone call in minutes.

jeo

One Too Many

Just realizing I saw this exact jacket at Inspiration LA. Was for sale by Berberjin and as you can see they were asking $950. Tried it on and it fit but was way too crispy for me at $950. Now I’m very interested to see how high this will go.

IMG_9259.jpeg
IMG_9260.jpeg

Same seller has this early Penney’s car coat, which I also saw at Inspiration. Looks like he bought both for resale.

IMG_9258.jpeg

pjs

New in Town
lookn to sell my 70s schott brothers is674ms,brown, jacket is in fantastic condition,size 44,asking $400 australian dollars, plus shipn,will ship world wide,a true collectors jacket

Attachments

• 20220923_130101.jpg
    20220923_130101.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
  • 20220923_123237.jpg
    20220923_123237.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 20220923_130001.jpg
    20220923_130001.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
  • 20220923_130144.jpg
    20220923_130144.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 47
  • 20220923_130122.jpg
    20220923_130122.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47

Edward

Bartender
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23506255...CPWR5TVx/0bvT1E9bnzfQBaA==|tkp:Bk9SR77Wn8efYg

Lewis Bronx going on eBay here. Be interesting to see what this reaches. Small size (38" chest), but looks in nice condition. Leather gone from some of the front buckle - common on these. Notably, this is a first half to the Sixties model, so not only no logo patch on the chest, but no forearm zip pocket (first introduced with the Twin Track Bronx in 1966, and rolled out across the range thereafter). That forearm pocket quickly became something of a Lewis signature, though for me it always looked a bit cluttered - nicer, cleaner, without it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot