Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

jadub

A-List Customer
Find and a deal here

IMG_0858.png

https://grailed.app.link/VNhQLkfeiBb

jadub

A-List Customer
This actually may work for someone. I like the idea of unlined but am not sure if the flesh side would leave bits all over your shirt. Id also worry about dye running in the rain or when sweating. If those issues are removed it seems like a decent starting price. I’m reluctant to buy from many countries listing on Grailed due to a bad experience. It seems there’s been a summer slump in interesting leather jackets so I thought I’d post a couple, one seriously
IMG_0859.jpeg

https://grailed.app.link/UB1ZK9yeiBb

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I agree with your assessment completely, Tony.
Your images demonstrate perfectly the vintage half belt conundrum.
I’ve noticed here over the years here that it seems the taller one is the less apt to find that “good look” in vintage half belts. Shorter people tend to have better luck then taller or longer torso’d folks.
Then there is the placement of the half belt itself in relation to the torso length. Total came changer. High rise low rise trousers, such a fickle, folk to folk.
Just my observations.
B
@jeo, @ton312, @AbbaDatDeHat, @handymike, @Will Zach You guys are all making valid and strong points in explaining your experiences with vintage half belts and in particular, their lengths. For reference, I am 6'0 currently 168lbs. (going to a BBQ this afternoon so that number is likely gonna trend upward some). As I have said, the fatality measurement for me in most cases is the back length.

I think @ton312 is obviously explaining his own experience with vintage jackets and no doubt--we all know the man has had his share of experience in this hobby. What he is also illustrating and @AbbaDatDeHat just touched on it too is the sad truth about vintage is you take the jacket as it comes vs. bespoke jackets where you can fine tune the fit and details to your heart's desire. We all have different body types and preferences/tolerances and if the jacket fits, it just fits or it doesn't. Like you guys, I cannot tolerate the short jackets. The shortest I am willing to buy for a jacket style I really want would be 24" and that is more of a collector jacket that I know will not get much if any wear. In most cases, I am looking for 25-26" back length.

I will admit that I have an oversized collection and that not all of my jackets are perfect fits. 99% of what I have is true vintage so I have a range of jackets some of which are a bit large on me and some fit perfectly. I got rid of most of the jackets that are too small because those were lost causes. The ones that are a tad large I keep around because --- I COULD get larger at some point. But what I'm saying is @AbbaDatDeHat hit the nail on the head---FIT IS FICKLE and especially with Half Belts. I agree that the position of the Half Belt is another fit factor in these styles. Even if the length is right, the belt height can make for an awkward look.

My main motivation here was to try to keep @ton312 from giving up on Vintage jackets. I was just trying to talk him down and say that there ARE vintage finds that will absolutely work but they just don't come around that often. I feel like the VINTAGE vs. REPRODUCTION factions are really 2 sides of the same coin. I am not trumpeting one over the other. Both have their rewards. One you may pay more for but the other you may pay for in time spent hunting--swinging and sometimes missing.

Anyway, if I have learned anything here---I'm confident the vintage market hasn't seen the last of @ton312

Keep hunting in the vintage jungle boys!!!! PLEASE keep me from buying more jackets. I can't help myself!!!

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
This actually may work for someone. I like the idea of unlined but am not sure if the flesh side would leave bits all over your shirt. Id also worry about dye running in the rain or when sweating. If those issues are removed it seems like a decent starting price. I’m reluctant to buy from many countries listing on Grailed due to a bad experience. It seems there’s been a summer slump in interesting leather jackets so I thought I’d post a couple, one seriously
View attachment 531240

Pretty cool! Never heard of the brand. Anyone with insights on it?

Craig from Craigslist

One of the Regulars
I can’t speak too much for this jacket specifically because I’m not familiar with the brand but I wouldn’t be worried about suede bits getting all over your clothes. The Mister Freedom Campus is similarly unlined with the suede on the inside and the one I owned didn’t leave fibers on my clothes. Even if that was the case, I’m sure it’s something a lint roller could handle

View attachment 531240

Last edited:

ojaw

A-List Customer
I can’t speak too much for this jacket specifically because I’m not familiar with the brand but I wouldn’t be worried about suede bits getting all over your clothes. The Mister Freedom Campus is similarly unlined with the suede on the inside and the one I owned didn’t leave fibers on my clothes. Even of that was the case, I’m sure it’s something a lint roller could handle
Even if it happens it quickly declines over time/usage.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
$500 for a jacket with an unintentionally detachable sleeve?
View attachment 531804
Damn man!!! I didn't miss this innovative detachable sleeve!!!! I saw the first photo and then gazed $71 for shipping and I didn't even look at the other photos. My bad for suggesting this as a potentially high priced purchase worthy jacket. I would like to hereby officially reclassify my post as simply A FIND based strictly on the looks of the front. The price was already stupid high but with the sleeve issue its downright insulting!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran