Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine Old Linen Handkerchiefs - READY - Pictures

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Recently, at the brick-and-mortar auction of the estate of a distant relative, I made a bit of a find.
It seems that the old gentleman was a school teacher, retiring some 25+ years ago. For every gift occasion, his students apparently presented him with boxes of fine handkerchiefs... hundreds of students. He would have begun teaching in the '30s.
I purchased them all.
There are many of very fine Irish linen, some silk, some cotton. Some monogrammed (L or M), most not. Some are accented with color, most are white. A very few had to be tossed. There are several still in the presentation boxes.
I am still sorting and laundering them (not the ones in boxes - though all are musty). Once I get through that process (distinguishing linen from cotton is not as simple as it sounds), I'll post another note. As it is, I'm set for hankys for awhile!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
About halfway

The no-monogram bunch are sorted, laundered and ironed. Next are the monogrammed ones. I'll see how many M's and how many L's we end up with.

I'll keep you posted! :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Something about a fine, dandy hanky in the top pocket...

That just sets a suit apart from the rest of the rat-race. Ironic really that I say that, as I was looking at a photo of the RAT PACK today, and was thinking, how sharp those guys looked in their suits, dark ties and straight hankies in the top pocket! As I dashed through Newcastle City centre (in the UK), I was the only guy I saw who had a jacket and hankie and even a shirt tucked into my belted trousers. Everyone else seemed to wear jeans (many with rips) and shirts hanging out over them. Is this really the slob society that so many of our former generations fought for..? or..is this a sign of me getting older, more crotchedy, less open minded, more formal..? I really hope not. I honestly try to keep an open mind on things and strive to live and let live. But generally speaking, there does seem to be a real slob culture developing in the UK and I dare say it is reflected in other western countries and cultures.
Maybe I do need to get my head out of the sand guys! When recently speaking with a friend in the US, I was talking about if ever I got across, staying in some nice little hometown villages and going to some little country churches painted in white and made from wood, ...etc, and I was told that my image of the US died many years ago, and villages disappeared after the Civil War, if not the post Revolution years! "wake up PADDY RUMPLESTILSKIN, you've been asleep for over 200 years!" LoL..!!!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Not true....

There are still PLENTY of little villages like you would like to see, Paddy. Most of them happen to be in the South, Midwest, and New England. There are villages around me with the old white clapboard-sided churches and village mentality.

android

One of the Regulars
I am interested in plain Irish linen. Please PM me also when you get them sorted out.

My daughter's name is Lauren, so if there is anything monogramed with an L that would be suitable for a young lady, please let me know.

Thanks,
Andy

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Ready

It has taken some time to get these ready to go and to determine what I have. If any of you gentlemen or ladies are interested in some of the hankies shown here, please send me a PM or email at scotrace at mac dot com.
Sizes are 18 - 20 inches. All are laundered and ironed unless noted; you may want to redo as you desire as they wrinkle very easily as you see here. These are linen. I'm not 100% sure some of these others are silk. They may be just unbelievably fine linen and I don't want to accidentally misrepresent anything.
Prices are as follows:
Plain handkerchief with cutwork edge, $8 each.
Handkerchiefs with white-on-white stitching/design, $12 each.
Monogrammed (M, some L), $6 each (unlaundered)
Monogrammed L in box (3, unlaundered), $15.
If you want one of the few that retain their stickers "Fine Irish Linen," "Pure Irish Linen,"(these are unlaundered and somewhat yellowed), $24 each.

They are all very fine and finely made. I've been wearing them in my coat pocket and they look very smart.
As a side note: I have a stack of those little cardboards with the silk partial hanky at the top given out by dry cleaners as premiums. If anyone wants them they're $5 for the lot.
Shipping $4.
Quantities limited.
Thanks!

hank1.jpg

hank_lin1.jpg

hank2.jpg
hank_mon1.jpg

hank_mono2.jpg

hank-mono3.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Oh yes -

This forum makes the world seem much more accessible. Everyone seems like a neighbor.
So I forget you're not. Heh.

Paddy, you're on. Shipping amount holds for anywhere - even Yerp.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran