Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Aero Jacket - Help!

kronos77

One of the Regulars
I must have an inside pocket. Not for anything bulky, but for papers or an envelope that won't fit in pants pockets. I use it constantly. Does it show through? A touch but I wouldn't notice it unless I was looking for it and with all that's going on with the leather, such as creases, grain and scuffs, it shouldn't look obvious.

Edward

Bartender
You're making a lot of sense to me right now...
If I'm only going to do it once, I might as well do it right, yeah?
We'll see what I can talk myself into. Need to mull it over.

Another newbie question for you folks, I read on Aero's website that they don't recommend adding an interior pocket, how much have you jacket junkies found that this rings true? I'd like the option, but I wouldn't want to ruin the lines of my jacket.

I still ad 'em in mine. I find I don't need one on each side the way I speeced my first jackets, but one on the right breast (as distinct from behind the left breast - works for me as a left, also avoid 'stacking' of pockets) works just fine. Some preferto avoid 'em if they want the jacket super-tight; others have complained to Aero in the past about pockets showing-through. Never been a problem for me, but that's to individual taste. If you have any concerns, talk to Holly (or Carrie if you're gonig through insurrection) - they'll give you all the information and you can take your pick from that.

Only way I can live (barely) with no inside chest pocket is if it has an outer chest pocket.
Nothing I put into them is noticeable. iPhone, cash or card wallet. It's security and I just hate jackets without them. Prefer the single snap. Not a zip and not sans fastener.
YMMV. All personal choice.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Wow that Bronco II went up in a flash, literally! No personal car fires (thank goodness) however have witenssed plenty of them. At the University where I attended grad school, an '88 BMW 2-door car caught fire just after engine start-up in a parking lot - with 4 guys inside. They all got out ok but it went down in a similar, very quick manner.

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
Only way I can live (barely) with no inside chest pocket is if it has an outer chest pocket.
Nothing I put into them is noticeable. iPhone, cash or card wallet. It's security and I just hate jackets without them. Prefer the single snap. Not a zip and not sans fastener.
YMMV. All personal choice.

+1

I miss the inside pocket in every of my jackets without it.

Edward

Bartender
My Highwayman has no inside pocket, but the outer chest pocket it just about big enough form y phone and wallet, so it works. But yes, as a rule I wouldn't want to be without the security of an insude pocket. Like Butte, I tend to prefer a stud-fastening one.

Thnikkaman

New in Town
Thanks for the kind words gents. It sure did go up quick; one minute I was just driving along, listening to tunes, the next minute I wasn't.
But it's not all bad, I get a spiffy new jacket and a chunk of change to put towards a new vehicle.

I'm going to go with 1 internal pocket, on the left side so I can reach across with my right hand, no fastener.
My fit jacket is due to arrive on Wednesday, so I'll make my final decisions on hide and color then.
And I'll post pictures as well, for sure.
So excited! :D

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the kind words gents. It sure did go up quick; one minute I was just driving along, listening to tunes, the next minute I wasn't.
But it's not all bad, I get a spiffy new jacket and a chunk of change to put towards a new vehicle.

I'm going to go with 1 internal pocket, on the left side so I can reach across with my right hand, no fastener.
My fit jacket is due to arrive on Wednesday, so I'll make my final decisions on hide and color then.
And I'll post pictures as well, for sure.
So excited! :D
Very exciting! There is nothing like getting your first custom leather jacket!

I once had an aero with a "homemade" inside pocket sewn into the liner. The problem is the facings. The FQHH is so thick that it creates it's own "entity". Kind of like having a wallet sewn inside your jacket. Wait-a-minute... :)

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I must have an inside pocket. Not for anything bulky, but for papers or an envelope that won't fit in pants pockets. I use it constantly. Does it show through? A touch but I wouldn't notice it unless I was looking for it and with all that's going on with the leather, such as creases, grain and scuffs, it shouldn't look obvious.

I'm in agreement. I often choose to wear leather jackets other than my A-2 as I really an inside pocket.

Thnikkaman

New in Town
Alright gents (and ladies), we're down to the wire here.
My fit jacket arrived yesterday, and I wore it around the house for FOREVER to really get a feel for the CXL FQHH and the jacket in general.
It was a two tone sunburst half belt, regular cut.
Sorry about the camera quality, my buddy took them with his phone.
As promised:
fjt1C8J.jpg

N5HxGLG.jpg
2mSaPPH.jpg

9GFEx0N.jpg

After discussing with Carrie, 36 is definitely my size, and as I move into the premier fit, that extra upper body and sleeve room (read: batwings) should go away. This particular jacket was cut fairly short: 25.5" Sleeves and 24.75" back. I would like the back slightly longer, just a bit overlapping my jeans back pockets, so I'm bringing the back down 3/4", to an even 25.5". Sleeve wise, Carrie said that when I move into the premier fit I will lose about 1/4" on the length due to the higher and narrower arm holes, and then ~1/4" again when it wrinkles with wear. I would like them about half an inch longer than they are now, so I think I'll add an even inch and go 26.5". The CXL FQHH is a bit thick for my tastes, I have decided to pony up for the Vicenza. Color wise, even though it's neat, the two tone is a bit loud for me. I'm going to go with the dark seal, because I usually dress in darker colors, and it'll be a pretty versatile color to match with things.
Tartan I'm leaning towards is Lochcarron Hunting Modern, but I'm definitely open to suggestions :)
lch-m-ctstlochcarronhuntingmodernstrometartanorg__57467.jpg

Here's what I've come up with:
-Premier fit 30's half belt, size 36
-Dark Seal Vicenza horsehide, if possible please pick a darker, smoother hide with as much color marbling as possible
-Wayfarer style yoke (high and slightly curved)
-Whatever main zipper is standard, antique brass
-Ball and chain chest pocket zipper, antique brass
-One open inside pocket on left side (No hardware)
-Lochcarron hunting modern light weight tartan, black cotton drill sleeves
-Moleskin lined pockets
-+1 inch on sleeves (26.5 total)
-+3/4 inch on back (25.5 total)

Only thing I haven't decided on is stitching color. I don't like a ton of contrast, but maybe rust? OD green? Black? Or I might just have regular color matched stitching. Thoughts?

Since I'm leaving for overseas tomorrow morning, I really only have until later today to finalize exactly what I want and send it in. I'm up for any and all suggestions boys, you're the experts here. Any last minute suggestions, changes, or words of wisdom? ;)

All this research and playing dress-up is finally coming together into a real tangible item... I'm excited!
It's going to be a long 6-8 weeks....
and a long, hot summer...

Sounds really good to me..!! Your new measurements seem spot on going by the photos. I think either color of thread would look good.
I say..go ahead and order it. You'll be happy.
Congrats
HD

Olive is subtle, cool, and vintage accurate with dark seal and black.
These jackets are actually meant to ride above the back pockets, so you may need to adjust the belt height a bit. Looking forward to pics.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a great list, and the fit is very spot-on to me. I bought an off the rack 30's HB and wanted just a bit more room then my café racer as I wanted to be able to layer under it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I really wouldn't add length to your jacket. Once you drop far beneath the pocket line, you're into long half belt territory and that's an entirely different design and fit.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I agree with Sloan. My 1930s half belt is 24.5 in the back and I am 186 cm. If you make it even longer than the fit jacket the proportions are messed up and you won't be able to put your hands into your jeans pockets without a fuss.

Thnikkaman

New in Town
I'd have said it's a bit long as is. As @handymike says it's a short jacket and should sit just above the back pockets.

Other than that, all sounds good.

I really wouldn't add length to your jacket. Once you drop far beneath the pocket line, you're into long half belt territory and that's an entirely different design and fit.

I agree with Sloan. My 1930s half belt is 24.5 in the back and I am 186 cm. If you make it even longer than the fit jacket the proportions are messed up and you won't be able to put your hands into your jeans pockets without a fuss.

I hear you guys, I'm just a bit worried about growing another inch and suddenly having a jacket that is too short. I'm in my early 20's and it's not an unlikely scenario...
I'll round the 24.75 up to an even 25 and call it a day.
Maybe it'll be a bit on the longer side, but better safe than sorry right :)

tblay

One of the Regulars
Though absolutely not an expert, I agree with the others about keeping the back length as is.

I must be the only person who's owned an Aero in FQHH and hasn't had any sleeve wrinkle. I rode in a Cossack for maybe 2.5 years, nearly daily, and, when I wasn't riding, I was wearing the jacket while walking around. The sleeves did crease a bit, but they never rode up and rendered themselves arm high waters.

Sorry to hear about your vehicle and your dad's jacket. Good luck with the 2.0 version. Looking forward to pics!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana