Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Aero leather jacket - Advise needed

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
But be warned: Get the killer jacket of your dreams (and I'm sure you will), and suddenly you'll want some great and better boots to go with it and you'll get those. Ker-ching!
Then your old jeans will suddenly pale in comparison to the quality of the leathers. So then you'll be looking at selvedge denim as your jacket and boots suddenly deserve nothing less. Ker-ching!
And you'll need a better belt too - a really good one! In aniline leather! Ker-ching!
Oh dear. Hooked. But that's okay. We're all happier around here for all of this gear - as well as less well-off! LOL!
Just don't start looking at the watch sections here on TFL!!! Then it really will be all over! And there's no helping you after that. ;)

So, so true. One day, you'll find yourself standing in front of your wardrobe, thinking 'how and when did I get all this stuff?'. I've resisted the Siren call of watches, so far, at least. Every so often, I look at a Rolex Oyster or a Panerai and go 'Hmm, they're nice', but then I look at the price and say to myself 'It's just a watch!', and return to sanity.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Acquisition of watches is an even bigger sink hole than jackets. Speaking of which, let me tell you about my recently acquired Panerai 190 with buttery smooth JLC 8 Days manual wind movement ... :D I forgot to mention, with its low profile, it fits neatly under the cuff of every jacket I own. ;)
2015-12-04 17.42.57.jpg

Last edited:

dan_t

Practically Family
Hmm, edit; I do have two wrists..... I just wear a watch on one of them :oops:
BTW, that wasn't a post boasting, I just feet that this community would appreciate the nicer things without judging......

Thats a beauty Fanch!
Fortunately my tastes aren't SUPER expensive :)
Heuer Monaco
Omega Ranchero

I eventually settled on an Omega Railmaster 37mm. Sits perfect on my smaller wrist, and the sapphire crystal is a plus as I bang it on stuff. I love the simple matte black face and arrow hands.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
You see what I mean, Desmond? See?! Watches are another gateway drug !

I have two - a Rolex from 1958 (black face Oyster Royal - mechanical) and a perpetual Air King (blue face) - both courtesy of my dad. My dad got the older one for his 21st birthday when he was out in Sri Lanka doing his National Service with the RAF and he gave two RAF pilots the cash (which his parents had given him) to get him one when they flew to Singapore. They could have flown off and never seen him again - but they duly returned with his watch - and he gave it to me when I was 21. The other was a gift (the only thing he's ever bought me). And I know that these two are my only real slices of the high life I'll get - as they're far more money than I could afford on a watch.
But I know how addictive jackets are - and I totally get how much more addictive watches could be (as wearing a variety of watches is easier - I'm not a jewellery kind of guy and don't like necklaces or rings, have nothing pierced) - so a really nice watch is as much as I'd go in that direction and as close I'd get to jewellery - and they are real class. They aren't wasted on me at all. And I get it.
So I certainly appreciate all the cautionary words from the others here who advise an extra degree of care in this field and I completely respect them all! Stay strong, Desmond.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo