Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Aero purchase....looking for longer length coat with button front....

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
Hi all...I am new to this forum, and new to the world of Aero jackets, but after researching for the past week I am strongly leaning towards putting an order in for a January build. I am pretty certain I'd like a longer jacket (like the Veste de Rallye or Teamster), but without really getting a chance to try them on to see differences in "fit" I am looking for any feedback I can get.

First, any thoughts on which jacket would work best for someone not blessed with much height (I'm 5'7") nor especially trim (I fluctuate between 175-185 lbs)? The Veste de Rallye it seems is "boxier" than the Teamster but I have concerns it may be too boxy so for me.... Any other models that fit the bill as "car length" and button-front?
Also, I was leaning towards CXL Horsehide, but wonder if the stiffness is an issue with a jacket with this much fabric...

Anyway, any and all input (including photos) would be great!

Thanks!

wdw

One Too Many
Hi there and welcome. I've been down this route, having two Stockmans and having once had a Teamster. The Teamster is very different to the VDR, as it's shorter, neater and has a fancier back. It's not a car coat in my opinion.

The alternatives to the VDR are the Stockman and the Cheyenne. Both of these are a bit narrower than the VDR.

It just depends which style you prefer. In any event, Aero will shorten the length if you like. My Stockmans were shortened to 30", about 1" less than a standard 38 .

Don't worry about the stiffness. I never notice it, but others seem to.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Sounds like you're thinking of going through Thurston. Definitely leverage a test jacket to determine if a custom arm/body length will be necessary. I'm 5'8" and standard jackets are usually at the cusp of being a tad too long in the body and almost always too long in the arms. A test jacket will determine sizing and you'll be able to customize length as well as other dimensions. For a longer jacket get one than just covers your rear: I find jackets that go down half way, i.e. covers only a portion of your back pockets, to look either like you're wearing a short jacket that's too long, or a long jacket that's too short. This, of course, is personal preference. YMMV.

Boxier coats work great for layering purposes. If you're in Ohio, I suspect you'll need to layer if you want to leverage your jacket for a longer period of time. Leather doesn't keep you very warm by itself, although Aero does come with some nice, warm inner linings. I typically prefer to get a standard cotton drill/satin rayon type of lining, and then use layers for warmth as needed (I lived in Chicago for 11 years). This extends the usage of a leather jacket to about 10 months out of the year. (The thinner liner allows you to wear the jacket in the spring and early summer.) Of course if you plan to get a variety of jackets for a variety of uses, then anything goes.

I'm sure you'll get more advice from other members with more experience with specific Aero models. Welcome to the Forum.

apba1166

A-List Customer
I had a VDR. I loved the jacket, the fit, the style. It's heavy but sits so well-balanced on your shoulders it does not seem it while wearing. It's really well-done. That said, I wish I had gotten it in something medium weight rather than heavy steer. Buttoning anything in the heavy steer is not something you can do quick when it's cold out. I sold it, always intending to get another. Meanwhile I got a Teamster in tumbled FQHH--very different jacket, as mentioned. Buttons are easier, but still not a great cold weather option. I might try a Stockman, medium weight--or if you're not completely stuck on Aero, LW's Downtown is a great jacket along the same lines. Mine is goat and wonderful.

Last edited:

zebedee

One Too Many
I got a Stockman in black FQHH and asked for a lighter hide- which was found- and requested no inner pockets for a less bulky fit. Got a blue and white tartan lining (forgot name) and scalloped pockets. Result was great and the only thing I'd change is...

...the colour. Given my time again, I'd get brown FQHH. The black is nice (and is starting to show some brown undertones), but I reckon brown would have been better. Or possibly non-bleeding Cordovan.

Jim.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Definitely get Thurston involved early in the process as they can also offer some suggestions and can pick an appropriate fit jacket to send out to you to nail down the dimensions. As others have noted in the past, when you get the fit jacket, take some pictures to email back to Thurston with your comments on what you liked and didn't like in the fit.

frussell

One Too Many
Eggcarton - The above suggestions to go through Insurrection are good ones. Other than some shoulder issues with my Teamster, I think it suits my build just fine. I'm two inches shy of a foot taller than you, but also not especially trim. The cut is flattering, and they will make it in accordance with your height if asked. I have the FQHH, but seem to have gotten a medium thickness hide, so it's definitely not too heavy, and buttonhole break-in was fairly easy, taking only a few minutes of working them with my fingers to limber them up a bit. If I've got you pictured right, it would be a good option for you, and you can get a warm liner like alpaca for the cold Ohio winters. It's also a good jacket for freedom of movement, without all the extra material and bulk of the Long Half Belt, which I owned briefly. Frank.

zebedee

One Too Many
+1 on getting a slightly lighter FQHH- whilst I reckon that the full-weight FQHH is great for the Highwayman and perhaps a Long Half Belt, I thought that it might be restrictive or possibly even painful in a longer jacket. I asked for a medium weight and Aero advised a lighter fqhh. Can't complain about the weight/flexibility.

Jim.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My cold weather jacket in N Central Texas is my brown FQHH Teamster with moleskin body shell and cotton drill sleeves linings. I use either a moleskin or 24oz Mackinaw wool Filson vest for layering. I asked for a slightly shorter body length (28.5") than standard. Pics taken while new as too lazy to take more pics. :D As a point of reference, I am 6'2" and could have easily gone with a 30" back:

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
Thanks all for the quick replies! Lots of great info....I love black jackets, especially when they start fading to brown undertones, but in this case I'm leaning towards the brown fqhh. Seems like medium weight is best suited here, although I do love heavy jackets. I have been dealing with Thurston Bros....it looks like they are the same place/different name as Insurrection? Still have to decide lining, interior pockets, etc...would love to see a more simplified back if possible as well....too many choices!
Thank you all again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24