Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Dates

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I've only done one "pick her up at her place" date, and only because she was car-less and lived in the capital of boredom.

That's something worth expanding on - How come men don't pick women up anymore? I find one of the first questions a guy asks you is "Do you have a car?" Before I owned one, I would answer no and my dates would have to pick me up, but they would complain, and a couple of them asked me to take the bus: "Gas is expensive, you know." This is before prices went through the ceiling like they are today, but my guilt complex would still kick in, and I believe it was intentional on their part.

Women who are impressed by money were never my type of woman. A simple date would always tell me if the woman in question liked me for me.

When my boyfriend and I were deciding where to go on our first date, I told him if we played pool on a Tuesday night at a local pool hall, it would be half price. He later told me that he was so much more attracted to me for that, because he knew I wasn't after him to spend a ton of money. :)

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
That's something worth expanding on - How come men don't pick women up anymore? I find one of the first questions a guy asks you is "Do you have a car?" Before I owned one, I would answer no and my dates would have to pick me up, but they would complain, and a couple of them asked me to take the bus: "Gas is expensive, you know." This is before prices went through the ceiling like they are today, but my guilt complex would still kick in, and I believe it was intentional on their part.
If I had a car I would definitely always pick the girl up at her place, and drop her off at the end. As it stands, I will metro over, meet her, go to wherever we go, metro back to her place, walk her back, say goodbye, walk back to the metro to go home.

When my boyfriend and I were deciding where to go on our first date, I told him if we played pool on a Tuesday night at a local pool hall, it would be half price. He later told me that he was so much more attracted to me for that, because he knew I wasn't after him to spend a ton of money. :)
That is a fantastic first date. Pool is a lot of fun and that is the perfect balance of something to do (less nerves with a task) and opportunity for conversation. (Also, thank God for girls who, like you, are not going after money, because I don't have any.)

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up

And the fact that you are a pool shark that can put money in "daddy's" pockets. :D

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

I always would drive when I was out on a date, and for some reason, Gas, was never an issue!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
And the fact that you are a pool shark that can put money in "daddy's" pockets. :D

You betcha - I'm even getting the hang of the trick shots ;)

I've always had a car so I have never, and would never, ask a woman to drive. That was always, and continues to be, my responsibility, and gladly so.

I think that's sweet, along the same lines of opening a door for a lady :) Mine likes to also, even if it's my car. I don't mind, gives me a chance to look out the window!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

I think that's sweet, along the same lines of opening a door for a lady :) Mine likes to also, even if it's my car. I don't mind, gives me a chance to look out the window!

I try, when I remember, to open car door for my wife. I don't always get there first, though. And if I don't, she doesn't stand there and wait for me.

And it's different today. In the old days, if you wanted to open a locked car door, you had to physically put a key in it. Today, we have remote controls, and my last four cars didn't/don't even have a key slot in the passenger door. When I had to physically insert a key, I'd always go to the passenger door first. Now, if we're walking towards the car, I hit the button, and she opens the door. The physical barrier between her and the car of me putting my key in the door is gone. It's a subtle but different feel.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

One should always open a door for a lady, no matter what. And it should be that way for you to have your boyfriend or date do so for you.

Do you ever reach over and unlock his door after you are in the car? Just asking!!!!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Do you ever reach over and unlock his door after you are in the car? Just asking!!!!

My car doesn't have a key remote, but it does have power locks, so once I open my door I can just press a button and all the doors unlock. Sometimes I get in and leave him standing there while I fiddle with my purse just to annoy him :p His car was a different story (it was totaled), because it was even older than mine, so he'd have to reach over and unlock my door. If he had let me in the car first, I would reached over for sure :)

He got a little too used to driving an automatic when he went away for a month in August, and the first time he drove my car when he returned, he ground the gears, which didn't make me very happy. I told him if he does it again he loses his privileges, and he hasn't driven it since lol Poor guy.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
My car doesn't have a key remote, but it does have power locks, so once I open my door I can just press a button and all the doors unlock. Sometimes I get in and leave him standing there while I fiddle with my purse just to annoy him :p His car was a different story (it was totaled), because it was even older than mine, so he'd have to reach over and unlock my door. If he had let me in the car first, I would reached over for sure :)

He got a little too used to driving an automatic when he went away for a month in August, and the first time he drove my car when he returned, he ground the gears, which didn't make me very happy. I told him if he does it again he loses his privileges, and he hasn't driven it since lol Poor guy.

That is nice, oh and the auto trans against a manual, I get myself in a jam due to that at times, I have several cars that are a manual, and two that are auto, but one has "shifter paddles" and going from one to another, I am always trying to find the "clutch" when there is none! Makes me feel like a complete idiot, moron, brain dead, loon! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee lolololo hahahahah (o.k. I am a bit in orbit, but hey, I really love being me)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran