Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First hat and first bash. How am I doing?

carter

I'll Lock Up
Rob, It looks too small and has too much taper. Are you sure that hat is your size? It looks like you need a larger size and a taller crown. Have you tried a 7 3/8?

It also looks like the proportions of the hat are out of whack. The crown looks too short for the brim width.

Have you tried opening the crown completely, putting the hat on your head, and creasing/bashing while looking in a mirror?

carter said:
Rob, It looks too small and has too much taper. Are you sure that hat is your size? It looks like you need a larger size and a taller crown. Have you tried a 7 3/8?

It also looks like the proportions of the hat are out of whack. The crown looks too short for the brim width.

Have you tried opening the crown completely, putting the hat on your head, and creasing/bashing while looking in a mirror?

Carter, I'm honored that you chimed in. Usually I'm good for a 7 1/4, it may have shrunk a little over time. I have tried creasing it on my head but no matter the type of crease, the taper thing still gets me. I'll try the shallow diamond and see how that goes.

I've also thought about putting the cattlemen's crease back into it but maybe not so tight.

I'll play it it more and post pics tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.

Al_Ojeda

Familiar Face
It's all about face and head shapes, hats can help correct and cover unflattering characteristics in our face in order to look your best.
Nobody has a perfect face, we can improve some details picking up a hat that enhances or hides certain features.
I think the crown of your hat is way too short, as well as the brim. Wearing it lower in your head would help a lot too.
With a little photoshop I'm showing you how much better you could look.
I'm just trying to be helpfull since I've gone through the same process till I found what I think looks best on myself.

beforeafter.jpg

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Part of the issue may be that you have the camera zoomed wide. That makes your face look larger and rounder and the hat shorter and more tapered because of the distortion from the wide angle.

Just a thought.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
:rage: all this photoshop stuff leaves one gasping for the truth ;)

But I would also opt for trying to get the higher crown; not that I suggest it would be feasible with this hat; you would in fact do well with negative taper and a full, big crown.
My guess is, you need a pretty huge hat for that.

Paul

carter

I'll Lock Up
Rob, I really want to get you in a hat at least one size larger. I'd like to see the hat sitting 1/2-1" lower on your noggin. Rather than buying a vintage hat that may have shrunk, buy a new hat like an Akubra Campdraft (Do you have one?) with a wider brim and taller crown. It appears to me that a 2 5/8" brim and a 5 1/2-6" open crown would fit the bill.

Yes, I have a silverbell campdraft (see my avitar) and I thought it would be siver, not sand / tan, so as much as I love the campdraft, I am still really wanting a light grey hat, and I tried to take the cheap approach and spend $28 on ebay vs, $95 for the grey campdrafts that will be in stock soon from Hats Direct.

I guess the old addage that you get what you pay for is true...

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Camera phones don't provide great shots, evidence the shot in my avatar. The brim looks too small and the crown looks short, but I swear, the dimensions are not that deficient, and my cheeks are not quite that chipmunkish.;)

dean

deanglen said:
Camera phones don't provide great shots, evidence the shot in my avatar. The brim looks too small and the crown looks short, but I swear, the dimensions are not that deficient, and my cheeks are not quite that chipmunkish.;)
dean
:arated: The dude in my phone photos & the dude in my mirror are not even related!!!!

Update for anyone interested...

I tried a couple of things for this hat and I think it's a little better, well, not really, I really abused the hat and I think it's a little better. I knew it was snug so I tried to stretch it, needless to say, the leather band did not like that, so I had to remove it, so then I tried the hat on and thought, this fits pretty good. then I thought well, I can't make this any worse, so I hit it with some steam and shoved it over a trash can to try and get rid of some of the taper, then I steamed the brim and put wood blocks on it to try and flatten it out. finally I couldn't find a leather band quickly, so I just sewed in a piece of grogain ribbon for a sweatband, then I attempted to put a new ribbon on it. The more I looked at the hat, the less silver it looked and the more of a light moss, so I went with an olive ribbon. all in all, it doesn't look any worse, and some may say it looks better, and for those of you who have followed this from the begining, even though it's a camera phone, my cheeks really do look like that
grin.gif

:D

img104-1.jpg

img102-1.jpg

img103-1.jpg

I like the crease job & the ribbon work, not too crazy about the back flip up. It seems to need to start further back for the break point, or maybe not at all. How about a shot of it flipped down in the back? It might not look like it is sitting so much on top of your head...

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
First attempt at rebashing a hat

For some time now I found my Panizza fedora a bit bland. This morning I decided to try a rebash to give it a bit more edge!

Original shape.
41140546a88f9ec8e80148dd8cbd7f16.jpg

Punching out the original bash.
6f633cf0bfe7ee39e4c2c3eb406dff9e.jpg

Tighter pinch, longer, deeper side dents.
5fd40f4121d7f0f38a86fd88cb992a73.jpg

Adding a diamond bash (well, sort of)
a751eb89a4f16b2d119a9bdd441a3439.jpg

Bad pic of end result.
11e88473b9e324670bec6f708614b9a5.jpg

All in all a bit more difficult than I thought, but fun!

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
So see u but! :confused:
Bash it here, bash it there, ain't fragile! Steam it over, all over, nice and humid (don't overheat the leather sweatband, though). Thereafter, the felt feels nice and the hat looks tight...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points