Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First hat and first bash. How am I doing?

pils

New in Town
Hello everyone!

My first proper hat arrived this morning (yay!). It's a grey Akubra Federation, which I ordered after reading the many good reports on it from users on this forum. It was delivered from Oz in only five days -- that's what I call fast!

Just out of the box:
IMG_0445.jpg

After playing around with it for a while I settled on this bash:
IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

On the noggin :fedora:
IMG_0464.jpg

For a first attempt at shaping a hat I don't think it is too bad, but what do you guys think. Can I wear it in public?

/Niels

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic job you did on the hat! And it's pefectly proportioned for you, as the first thing I noticed was how natural it looks on you.

Good job!:eusa_clap

Brad

Duck

Practically Family
Great job!!!

Niels, Very nice looking hat! You did a fantastic job on the bash.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap It looks right at home on you.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
[QUOTE
For a first attempt at shaping a hat I don't think it is too bad, but what do you guys think. Can I wear it in public?
[/QUOTE]

You should be heading out the door right now. The side view shows that classic 40s rake that so many like. I used to have a grey federation, they are great hats, enjoy.

regards fedoralover

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Now I'm gonna have to get another akubra! I did a center dent on my new one but that looks great! How did you go about bashing it? Is that harder to do than a center dent?

pils

New in Town
Thanks guys!

Indycop: I started by trying to do a diamond crease as shown in Dinerman's video in the hat creases thread. From there I kept fiddling with it (lowering the crown more and more and smoothing things out) until it looked right in the mirror.

/Niels

indycop

I'll Lock Up
pils said:
Thanks guys!

Indycop: I started by trying to do a diamond crease as shown in Dinerman's video in the hat creases thread. From there I kept fiddling with it (lowering the crown more and more and smoothing things out) until it looked right in the mirror.

/Niels
Duh! I completely overlooked that thread!

fatwoul

Practically Family
pils said:
...My first proper hat arrived this morning (yay!). It's a grey Akubra Federation, which I ordered after reading the many good reports on it from users on this forum. It was delivered from Oz in only five days -- that's what I call fast!...

Was this from HatsDirect? They usually are impressively fast.

If I may ask, what size Federation is this?

How did you feel when you first saw your open-crown hat? Excited? It's a great feeling seeing that, and all the possibilities.

pils said:
...After playing around with it for a while I settled on this bash...

...For a first attempt at shaping a hat I don't think it is too bad, but what do you guys think. Can I wear it in public?

Absolutely you can. You've done a tremendous job. I might even go as far as to say that it's the best first-time bash I have seen on here. Seriously. Good job.

Not only does the bash suit you, but you're wearing it well, too. I mean, you're wearing it with that air of confidence that makes DOUGLAS such a natural hat-wearer.

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:
if his box looked like mine did, I bet he felt panic!lol

Ah stop being such a baby about that box. Federations are tough! I bet you won't worry when you get your Fieldmaster. Those babies are supposed to be cast iron.

Legend has it Fieldmasters are felted in the fires of hell by the devil himself, made from hair ripped from the heads of a choir of screaming banshees.

Being a lawyer, Ken makes weekly trips down that way, so that's when he picks up his hats. lol

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
pils said:
Hello everyone!

My first proper hat arrived this morning (yay!). It's a grey Akubra Federation, which I ordered after reading the many good reports on it from users on this forum. It was delivered from Oz in only five days -- that's what I call fast!

Wear in public, surely you jest! That bash is aces, and looks top notch on you to boot. Wear it with pride!

Marc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner