Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Leather - The Real McCoy's Buco J-100

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Indeed it is, and I'm very happy with my choice!

Also forgot to show... just to get you interested in The Flat Head, here's my cordovan mid wallet received the same day, complete with sterling silver ring.

ZuUkhss.jpg

gAvm2S6.jpg

9pPJ8yE.jpg

3VWrwbm.jpg

I love that wallet. Was that ordered directly from FH?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I'm too big for that style jacket but I doubt I could do any better than you did. Outstanding man, looks great, fits great and that hide is stunning!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Worf

I'm built all wrong for that style, or any other slim fit style jacket, but yeah, plus one on what Worf said. This is a perfection of a slim fit. Beautiful hide, too. But man you won't be able to layer up in this one...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I really like the minimalist design of the Buco J-100, whether this excellent example from RMC or Aero's Board Track Racer. I don't think this style is meant to be layered underneath though.

Benj

One of the Regulars
I love that wallet. Was that ordered directly from FH?

No; fortunately, a retailer had it in stock. Specifically: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/2nd/item/fh-fow-40c-brxbkxye/?s-id=borderless_recommend_item_en

Incredibly expensive, yes, but I believe it's well worth it, considering it'll last forever and you use it every day. They also have a cowhide version that's about 200 cheaper, FW-40C.

Thanks again for all the kind words guys... I agree it shouldn't be layered too much. If it was a highwayman, then I'd reconsider. Even then, I live in Southern California, it makes no sense for me to layer. It doesn't even make sense to have a leather jacket since it's so hot, but I'm not a creature of practicality... My arms hurt real bad from breaking it in, flexing with it the whole night. Like really bad! Luckily they're okay now, and I'm not sure if it looks different, but it definitely feels different. Here's some more fit pics!

Aby7FjU.jpg

vSxkKjx.jpg

iVxQ6CG.jpg

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I'm built all wrong for that style, or any other slim fit style jacket, but yeah, plus one on what Worf said. This is a perfection of a slim fit. Beautiful hide, too. But man you won't be able to layer up in this one...

Great fit, but I wouldn't risk it myself as I am approaching a point where I just cannot burn enough calories to stay slim.

There is also the stark difference of the much slimmer sleeves than the Diamond offering.

RMC makes a great jacket, and yours is a terrific example.
Looks sharp!
The Shinki horsehide is much better in SoCal than the heavy stuff IMHO.
Wear it well and often (not just in the home's AC).

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Wear it well and often (not just in the home's AC).

That's the only place in LA where he can wear it. Same with me 10 months out of the year where I live. My entire family is convinced I am insane when I wear my jackets inside the house. :D

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is also the stark difference of the much slimmer sleeves than the Diamond offering.

Yes I noticed that too, also the angle between the shoulders and neck is much flatter on the RM. In fact the RM pattern looks more like the Aero Board Racer just with the Horizontal chest pockets and obvious differences in the back.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I *think* the narrower sleeves are more accurate in comparison to original Buco J-100s. Himel's Kensington also has very narrow sleeves.

also the angle between the shoulders and neck is much flatter on the RM

This is my one gripe with the RMC J-100 . . . the shoulder has a bit of a peak . . . I would prefer it a tad more rounded.

Benj

One of the Regulars
Exactly, I'll post a picture so that people understand. For some reason it's really not talked about. I was afraid it would bother me, but I've actually come to like it. It seems unique to the RMC and, considering none of their other jackets do this, I'd imagine it was an intentional design feature.

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
Beautiful jacket and I think the fit is just about perfect...and as it breaks in and molds it will become a second-skin for sure!
Beautiful wallet as well...definitely will look into the Flat Head stuff...

My arms hurt real bad from breaking it in, flexing with it the whole night. Like really bad!

But it's a sweet pain. :) The jacket looks even better now, and not as tight as on the first pics. I wish I could pull off a look like this...

Benj

One of the Regulars
The first time I saw this jacket it was from another forum member on IHUK that bought a Kensington. My thoughts about the jacket instantly went from "who is going to wear this" to "I need this jacket". If you're comfortable in it you can pull it off!
Here's the peaking...

1bddff2989090097da5a32c2a5d353ba.jpg

234adb80b21b918f818ca157b360850d.jpg

Last edited:

technovox

One Too Many
The nicest and best fitting J100 I have seen here is this one worn by Technovox:

View attachment 31432

This one wasn't mine (Technovox.)
Although I wish it belonged to me!
The closest I have to a J-100 is my Himel Horsehide Kensington.

And, to follow up the comments about J-100 fit , the slope of the angle between the shoulder seam and neck on my Kensington is relatively steep compared to my other cafe racers.

Last edited:

technovox

One Too Many
So I thought it might be helpful if we could list the basic differences between the various J-100s offered (nice to have options to fit various body types.) I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but since we're on the subject...here’s what I’ve got so far, gleaned from your fit conversations and experiences out there. Feel free to correct, add, or modify:

RMC- Shorter style body, narrow sleeves, peaked shoulder seams, flat angle between neck and shoulder, zippers on top of sleeves, offers smooth Shinki Horsehide

Diamond Dave- longer style body, wider sleeves, steep angle between neck and shoulder seam, zippers on top of sleeves, offers grainy Shinki Horsehide

Goodwear-- longer style body, wider sleeves, steep angle between neck and shoulder seam ( I think), zippers on bottom of sleeves, offers grainy Shinki Horsehide,

Aero Board Racer- Shorter style body, narrow sleeves, flat angle between neck and shoulder, zippers on top of sleeves, offers Italian Vicenza Horsehide

Himel Kensington- Longer style body, narrow sleeves, drop front, steep angle between neck and shoulder, zippers on top of sleeves (exposed wrists), offers grainy Shinki Horsehide.

Sound about right?

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Although I am relatively new to all of this, the whole concept of the cafe racer / Buco J-100 is very interesting. I am certain that many on the Lounge have forgotten more about this subject than I will ever know. So my first question is how does one define exactly what is a Buco J-100? It seems to me that John Chapman's iteration is derived from the cafe racer model made by California Sportswear rather than the Buco J-100? Both John's and Aero's cafe racer designs have the zip sleeves in the back, whereas the Buco J-100's in front. I think that Aero's Board Racer is a derivative of the Buco J-100 (sort of) and has its zip sleeves in front rather than the back. Expert input anyone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran