Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Leather - The Real McCoy's Buco J-100

Benj

One of the Regulars
I've wanted a leather jacket for a few years now, but for obvious reasons (price, so many options) I held off... I wanted to wait until I knew exactly what I wanted, had the money, and saw it for a price that I was willing to pay. That perfect storm took a while, but I'm happy to say that as of today I've got a leather jacket!

I'd been trying to decide between two styles: The Real McCoy's Wayward and a J-100. Since the Wayward was made years ago and discontinued, I narrowed into J100's. There are many options, but with each jacket, save for one, there was a problem: price, attention to detail, leather used, etc... My entire wardrobe is filled with Japanese clothing, so I had my eye on the RMC from the beginning. My favorite brand is The Flat Head (look 'em up), and I tried their take on a BUCO, but it was too slim and the shoulders were enormous.

I was lucky enough to try on the RMC at Inspiration Los Angeles earlier this year, and while I didn't take it home (it was navy), it did light the fire, and I've put that fire out today!

Without further ado...

EV99YkN.jpg

CAyMIJv.jpg

AVMUolp.jpg

ibdTC70.jpg

rmnneCW.jpg

When I first got it I was afraid I'd have to sell it since it looked small and it felt very constrictive. I'm happy to say that it's already gave a lot in the few hours I've worn it in the house (california is hot!), and it's starting to feel like a second skin.

Any and all comments would be appreciated!

Sorry for the enormous pics, never had that problem before. Leather looks damn good though!

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That's great. A very disciplined approach. I was never able to keep on hanging on. I always crumbled and bought whatever I could afford at the time, or something " close enough" to what I wanted. I've spent the last 6 months getting rid of everything to start again. That's a great jacket. It's a close fit, but that's how they are meant to be. You are able to pull it off. Congrats on the new jacket. Now....I wonder if you can pump the brakes with one and one only!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket; I'm assuming you wanted to go for the tight, Japanese-style fit. I think I'd want another inch in the chest and couple extra on the sleeve but it looks like you've got quality there.

technovox

One Too Many
Beautiful jacket. This one looks like a very tight fit, but taking into account that the leather is going mold to your body over time, it should end up being absolutely perfect...and probably like these jackets were originally meant to be worn.
There's been some gorgeous J-100s repros on the FDL lately. It's fascinating to see so many variations...each different, each very individualized. If I had to own just one jacket, the J-100 is at the top of my list. Good choice!

pawineguy

One Too Many
Very nice fit and jacket for a first attempt. As has been noted, most of us are not that disciplined and go through many jackets searching for that perfect one.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congrats Ben!!! The RMC Buco J-100 is one of my all-time favorite jackets.

Like you, I also love -- and pine for -- the RMC Wayward. In fact, I conduct a daily Google search in the hopes that one might become available some day. I also regularly pester RMC to remake the jacket. One day . . .

Enjoy your new J-100 . . . you done good!

Benj

One of the Regulars
Thank you for all the comments guys.

I've learned that, personally, I'm just not one to settle. Of course I won't spend ten thousand on a jacket, but if the difference between one I'm 80% happy with and the one I'm 110% happy with is a few hundred... well, considering it's for a lifetime, I think it's worth it to wait!

For the fit, I'm a firm believer in a one size fit or nothing at all... Clearly a size down would be insane, but imo, the length, shoulder, sleeves (for my short sleeve taste) would be completely off with one size up. I like my sleeves to end right at the end of my forearm, which they do. More chest area would be nice, but given the amount that the sleeves have already stretched, I'm hopeful that eventually the chest will stretch too.

The only thing I'm unsure of are the creases that form from the top of my shoulder to the armpit, evident in the pictures. I knew about the peaked shoulders of the RMC and while they do raise when I lift my arms, I'm fine with it. I even think it looks kind of cool and hardcore. I'm hoping that the creases above the breast disappear as the jacket relaxes and stretches... Thoughts? Like I said, I think that the size 40 would just be sloppy, especially for a tight-fitting jacket like the J100.

Benj

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately it's not possible, but when I was first interested in Japanese clothing I made A LOT of mistakes in getting things too big, and realized that I like a more "just" fit. Like with the jacket... It really has gotten a bunch more comfortable since I put it on, which is interesting, since it's a real hardcore leather!

For instance, if I had a Himel Heron that fit like this, I'd agree it was way too small. But considering the J100 chest zips up nice right out of the box, I figure I done good, as Superfluous said!

Benj

One of the Regulars
Indeed it is, and I'm very happy with my choice!

Also forgot to show... just to get you interested in The Flat Head, here's my cordovan mid wallet received the same day, complete with sterling silver ring.

ZuUkhss.jpg

gAvm2S6.jpg

9pPJ8yE.jpg

3VWrwbm.jpg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I like tight fit too, just make sure you don't over grow it :)
I think your creases so far look very nice, tighter jacket will form more organic looking creases.

Benj

One of the Regulars
Yeah, his is a great fit for sure. Come morning I'll post another pic, like I said, i'm surprised by how comfortable it's become :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's interesting to me how many people are now digging this pattern and buying them. I always thought it was one of the best. If I didn't own 4 cafe racers already I'd probably buy one by Aero in a jerky horse hide. Hmmm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy