Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First post - Ribbon color recommendations?

scottcw

New in Town
I am working with John Penman on my first custom hat - an Eno model.

168859_10150919615648450_333701189_n.jpg

I was going to order whiskey rabbit felt with rust ribbon, but came across a Penman Howard Hughes Spruce Goose on eBay in the same color combo with a price too good to pass up. So that will be my "earth tone" hat and I want the Eno to be my hat to wear with blues, grays and blacks. John suggested Granite felt. Now I looking at ribbon choices. John has navy ribbon, which I think would be a good choice, though I would prefer something even darker, almost a blue/black.

Then I came across this picture of a Penman hat in Granite.

29086_397835678449_7990768_n.jpg

I love the contrast of the copper ribbon.

All that to solicit opinions on these two ribbon colors to pair with Granite rabbit felt.

Navy

il_570xN.381792605_3p0i.jpg

Copper

il_570xN.292792987.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I like the copper. Should be a very flexible colour in terms of what it can be worn with. Also has a very vintage 'feel', plus it's not a colour you see on production hats these days. If you're going to spring for a custom hat, I think it's worth picking some detail you wouldn't get rtw.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
It depends largely on what clothes you want to wear with the hat.

You wrote:
I want the Eno to be my hat to wear with blues, grays and blacks.

For blue, gray and black clothes the navy ribbon is the sensible choice.
The copper is good for lighter tones and earthy colors.

Last edited:

philosophy101

A-List Customer
Since you'll be wearing blues and blacks, I'd say go with dark navy. I recently got an Art Fawcett VS in pecan, which has a dark gray ribbon that has a dark navy-ish cast to it, and it works really well with my black and navy jackets (see the Vintage Silhouettes Custom Hats - Official Affiliate Thread from a few days ago). I find the dark ribbon really "pulls together" the relatively light colored felt with the dark colored clothing. Good luck with your choice!

scottcw

New in Town
It depends largely on what clothes you want to wear with the hat.

You wrote:

For blue, gray and black clothes the navy ribbon is the sensible choice.
The copper is good for lighter tones and earthy colors.

Since you'll be wearing blues and blacks, I'd say go with dark navy. I recently got an Art Fawcett VS in pecan, which has a dark gray ribbon that has a dark navy-ish cast to it, and it works really well with my black and navy jackets (see the Vintage Silhouettes Custom Hats - Official Affiliate Thread from a few days ago). I find the dark ribbon really "pulls together" the relatively light colored felt with the dark colored clothing. Good luck with your choice!

Agreed, the navy would work with blue, gray and black. I do love the pop of the copper, but it would probably not look as good with those colors. I'm keeping a look out for midnight blue ribbon as I don't think of navy as dark enough for what I envision.

RJR

The above suggestions re navy make sense for your stated purpose.HOWEVER,I suspect with two of John's hats,you're now hooked so if you like the "pop" of the copper ,go ahead!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy