Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fishermen's sweaters site

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
As soon as I get home tonight I'll take some pics of the sweaters my wife has made for me. She's a very proficient knitter and I love the wools she has made . She also makes me tons of hats!! I know, I know..you're all jeolous!!

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Wow, lots of visitors to this thread since I was here this morning. Well..here it is, the sweater I love most. Hand made by my wife.
img2641f.jpg

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Good afternoon gentlemen, Belated Happy New Year! Well that's my new year resolution gone after about one month, to reduce my buying..!,

I have just ordered another chunkie from SWC, went for a black round neck this time. Rgds.

The black Chunkie I ordered only last Friday arrived today, it is superb, many tks to SWC for their prompt and efficient service. Rgds.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Reading this thread in December prompted me to order this sweater. It was made-to-measure at no extra cost, £22 plus £8 postage to Germany.
1920_3031663061316632.jpg

I opted for a gray gansey, not for one of the chunky ribbed sweaters posted before, and asked it to be a trim fit. Because of the slash neck there is no front or back, it can be worn both ways.

The first few minutes it fit, then the sleeves started getting shorter by the minute. I e-mailed Peter for advice and re-blocked the gansey like he suggested. Since then it fits fine.

What struck me was Peter's dedication to customer orientation. He really went out of his way to satisfy me. He even offered a price reduction for the gansey because of the re-blocking (which I didn't accept as it worked out fine and I didn't understand anyway how he managed to make it to measure in the quality it has for only £22) and didn't charge postage for my second gansey.

After my Mum saw the sweater she decided she wanted one, too. I ordered two other ganseys for me, again made-to-measure. This time I had the bodies of the ganseys shortened even more and went for 12 cm waist bands and 10 cm double cuffs. I ordered a charcoal turtle neck with flecks and a wine red crew neck. Here they are:

Charcoal nepp turtle neck gansey
1920_3162373935343063.jpg

The colour is pretty realistic.

Here's a closeup showing the coloured nepps (this one's lighter than the original colour).
1920_3266323866393164.jpg

Same gansey with unturned double cuff and neck:
1920_3066333462336665.jpg

Wine red crew neck. The colour is much more beautiful in reality.
1920_3130373637303131.jpg

Close-up of the waist band
1920_3236663134353331.jpg

Me wearing the charcoal gansey
1920_6665333863303961.jpg

Me wearing the wine red crew neck
1920_6232366661303462.jpg

Peter is willing to change the designs offered on his website. Also, ask him what colours are available at the moment. The colours I chose weren't listed on the website. Where can you get this quality and degree of customization at this unbeatable price?

Dav

One Too Many
They look very nice Rudie, you're right Peter is a great chap to deal with:eusa_clap. But how he does them for the money is beyond me.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Rudie, those Sweaters/Ganseys look really great, I especially like the Roll Neck, I have bought a couple of the Chunkies fropm Peter, that firm are a delight to deal with and I only came accross them by accident via this FL Website. Rgds.

souwestchunkies

New in Town
just another great comment fom ITALY

Dear Peter,
The chunkies arrived here this morning! They are great and the fit is perfect. There was no invoice in the parcel. I assume that you will now let me have payment details and final cost.

Thanks for your assistance. Yours is a great service and a really good product...you may rest assured that I shall be publicising Sou-West Chunkies although am not sure that the name translates particularly well over here! "Le Maglie Pesante della Sud-Ovest"!

All the best and thanks again for a great service.

Regards,
Nigel

ANY INFO FOR SWC PLEASE !!
Does anyone work for the Customs or USPS, UPS, FEDX or DHL, or can anyone in the USA tell me what is going on with mail,
Parcels posted to the USA, one order of 2 went January 5th and another order went on the 13th January
both orders have not arrive so I duplicated the orders, and they have not 'surfaced 'yet.
Plus i have sent 6 other seperate orders to seperate States and they have not arrived yet , am I clothing the Customs or Postage staff ??

Last edited:

souwestchunkies

New in Town
You maybe right but there is no one to ask , last year no problem 10 days max £11 max but i have to keep my hopes that they will get there peter for swc

ps you look great, the gansey's fit, the colour's (both) great, ever thought of taking up modeling

Last edited:

souwestchunkies

New in Town
this was meant for you dav no, tracking by USP DHL or FEDX to the States 1 KILO £53 over double what a Chunkie cost

I COULD SEND A BOX WITH 6 BUT THEN THE RECIEVER HAS TO PAY IMPORT DUTY.

BEFORE CHRISTMAS I COULD POST A CHUNIE TO THE USA OR CANADA FOR AS LITTLE AS £11 BUT NOT NOW
SHAME peter for swc

Dav

One Too Many
this was meant for you dav no, tracking by USP DHL or FEDX to the States 1 KILO £53 over double what a Chunkie cost

I COULD SEND A BOX WITH 6 BUT THEN THE RECIEVER HAS TO PAY IMPORT DUTY.

BEFORE CHRISTMAS I COULD POST A CHUNIE TO THE USA OR CANADA FOR AS LITTLE AS £11 BUT NOT NOW
SHAME peter for swc
That is one big price increase, I can understand why you are peeved.

souwestchunkies

New in Town
I THINK I WILL TAKE THE NEXT ONE, AN UPDATE YESTERAY SUNDAY THE 20th FEBRUARY EMAIL FROM EUGENE, OREGON SAYING:-

To: "SouWest Chunkies" <souwestchunkies.one@virgin.net>
Subject: jumper!!!
Date: 20 February 2011 16:43

Well, finally! This very fine sweater has arrived and I like it very much.
This one was mailed on 12.1.11 - maybe this IS the first one I ordered?
At any rate, by what method may I pay for it?

Many thanks,
Kathryn

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Looks good to me, good timing too - I rooted out my jumpers recently to discover moth caterpillars have been lunching on them over the summer. Gits!

Especially since I've spent hours plodding round Manchester trying to find something similar to no avail.

You seem a bit of a jumper enthusiast - if you can recommend some nice cardis too???

EDIT: Order placed, nice site, ta.

Good afternoon Methuselah, I don't know if this is too late, but as well as the Great Sou'West Chunkies site for their excellent pullovers, if you a still looking for cardigans, have a look on the outdoor knitwear site, they are based in Leicester and do have some cardis, I recently ordered their wool work wear cardigan, it is great, similar to the nato woolly pullies, of which I have several, It also has patches & pockets. It zips up. Another firm you could try is Woolovers in Sussex, or White of Hawick, there are a couple of threads on this forum mentioning Steve MacQueen style cardis, that may be worth looking at. Rgds Steve.

Sweaterguy

New in Town
Hi Nick
Fantastic sweater. lm looking for one like that. did you ask for any particular type of wool? l want it chunky.
looks great on you. black works. what other colours did you order? lts hard to find authentic, proper knitted jumpers like that.
hope you dont mind me asking. l just discovered this site and saw your comments and pics.
cheers
jonathan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana