Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit Check- 1957 Buco J82 size 46

Gypsymoth82

A-List Customer
I've been spending a lot of time with this jacket. It hadn't been worn in decades, but I''ve put loads of work into it and it just keeps getting better.

ButI still can't help feeling like it's too big. I'm pictured here with a normal weight sweatshirt. The measurements aren't way off from what I normally look for, but it wants to sit too low and only feels good when all zipped up.

I am also keenly aware of my psychology, so I may be panicking as it was a big purchase, and impulsive in thinking of moving on before fully giving it a chance.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers.
IMG_2422.jpg
IMG_2424.jpg
IMG_2418.jpg
IMG_2442.jpg
IMG_2426.jpg
IMG_2416.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
No, it is not the correct size, size too big at least. Did you have any choices in size when you bought it? I know the answer, no. Will you find its' equal in your size? time consuming

Too big=wearable
Too small=sellable

I'm struggling with a Buco now that I think is too big, just like you, so all the questions apply to me. I just bought 2 that are too small.

Gypsymoth82

A-List Customer
couple of questions:

your height and weight, what size do you typically wear? Size label in the jacket, if so?

Hey Terry, I'm 5'10, 175 lbs (but I'm sure that could be 185 in a heartbeat if I get lazy)I usually wear 40 or 42 depending on the cut, This is an original Steerhide, tag size 46.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
On close call vintage jackets I ask myself this:

If I walked into a store and saw this jacket new, in the day, and it was the only one, Would I have bought it?

One reason we see near new very old jackets, they fell in love and bought a jacket that never got worn because it never fit!

On vintage sometime close enough as is close as you are going to get

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
It is a very valuable/desirable jacket in any size, but a bit more as a size 46. If you could wear a 40 you would have better luck finding that size come along, but that could be a long wait.

I feel your pain. I could provide a more "fitting" home, as many others here and abroad. But does a new home ease your pain?

Or simple take joy in owning a rather significant leather jacket... if you find one that fits buy it too!

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
On close call vintage jackets I ask myself this:

If I walked into a store and saw this jacket new, in the day, and it was the only one, Would I have bought it?

One reason we see near new very old jackets, they fell in love and bought a jacket that never got worn because it never fit!

On vintage sometime close enough as is close as you are going to get
Those are words of wisdom.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Hey Terry, I'm 5'10, 175 lbs (but I'm sure that could be 185 in a heartbeat if I get lazy)I usually wear 40 or 42 depending on the cut, This is an original Steerhide, tag size 46.
Friend, Please remember. You are wearing a nearly 70 year old jacket. You are not going to a vendor like Vanson who will have or make the size that will truly fit the way your hard dollars demands. In true honesty, the jacket is a little big, probably a 1/2 of size from perfection. However, that is as good as it gets. I bet a vintage 44 will be tight on you. Or you might just pull it off with a T-shirt. Which will drastically reduces it's usability.

In my book I always prefer to have a bigger size than a smaller size jacket. Personally, with a thicker shirt on you are KILLING IT! In vintage very rarely does it gets any better...

Gypsymoth82

A-List Customer
Friend, Please remember. You are wearing a nearly 70 year old jacket. You are not going to a vendor like Vanson who will have or make the size that will truly fit the way your hard dollars demand. In true honesty, the jacket is a little probably a 1/2 of size from perfection. However, that is as good as it gets. I bet a vintage 44 will be tight on you. Or you might just pull it off with a T-shirt. Which will drastically reduces it's usability.

In my book I always prefer to have a bigger size than a smaller size jacket. Personally, with a thicker shirt on you are KILLING IT! in vintage very rarely does it gets any better...

@photo2u thank you man. It's crushing once you deal with shipping and exchange to Canada, and this one was a now or never shot. When it arrived it was dry, wrinkled and "full of character". Even though it was a solid buy in USD, when the dust settled it was humbling.

I think a mouton collar would take this jacket to another planet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21