Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit check on Aero Sheene please??

ForeverWandering

New in Town
Greetings all! Glad to have stumbled upon the forum and thanks in advance for any help available.

Stats:

6' / 195lbs / 19" shoulders / 26" arms / 33" waist / 43" chest / Daily gym goer

Sheene dims:

Back length--26.5 inches
Sleeve length--26.25 inches
Pit-to-pit--23.75 inches
Shoulder--19 inches
Waist/bottom hem--21 inches

I measured two well fitting jackets to figure measurements out, but fear I missed. I struggled with adjusting a well-fitted shirt collar while wearing the jacket and am unsure if I should bump to a 44.

Carrie at Thurston Bros is absolutely amazing and approves the fit, so everyone is aware. I'm concerned about the ability to wear a collared shirt beneath, as I'm very active and don't anticipate my shape changing much...though I don't know if keeping with the anticipation of stretch is a wise move or not.

I want to develop a lifetime relationship with this piece and need to be 100% on sizing - any thoughts/observations/critiques are warmly welcomed and appreciated!!

Attachments

• 20230330_082611.jpg
    20230330_082611.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 451
  • 20230330_082621.jpg
    20230330_082621.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 460
  • 20230330_082602.jpg
    20230330_082602.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 508
Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think this is good for an otr size.
I just don't like the bulging pockets.
If you were having them made, I would probably go 1/2" shorter. Then +1/2" P2P would also be possible with the same size.
On the right shoulder you have these vertical folds that are found on some Aero models.
How is the jacket worn open? Do the vertical folds become more pronounced?

ForeverWandering

New in Town
Yes, it seems the vertical folds on the right shoulder do get a bit more noticeable when unzipped.

I've had it on for the last 20mins or so, to see if the leather warming/softening might help me decide, one way or the other.

Stretch likely? I'd guess even 1/2" across the chest/shoulder would be of benefit, though I'm not experienced enough to say if it'll happen.

I'd be worried to go any shorter - this length is super unfamiliar to me and I think part of my hesitation.

Thanks so much for your feedback, seriously. I'm fretting!

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I have been around for a while and I have seen only very few who actually went the miles in an Aero jacket to be able to claim some kind of life-time bond with a jacket. That being said, has anyone seen @Dav around lately? His truly worn in Highwayman was a big inspiration for me to buy my first Aero.

Anyway, that jacket will get the job done. Sleeve and body length is good, shoulders look good. If it feels comfortable, keep it. I wouldn‘t worry about wearing a shirt with this jacket, if you want to dress up, this fairly rustic jacket by design and leather choice won‘t be your first choice anyway.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
The fit looks absolutely perfect.

Unfortunately, this often means its half a size too small to wear comfortably. If you feel, the jacket is too tight to wear a light sweater/collared shirt, it probably is too tight indeed.

The leather won’t really stretch either. It will however drape and conform to your body, so stress points will become less apparent, and the jacket will feel more comfortable.

Which size is the jacket? The measurements you posted would indicate a large 44 or small 46.. The Sheene/Board Racer pattern follows the idea of Aero‘s „Premier” range, so it sizes one number smaller than the 1930s patterns. (I’ve had two Board Racers which is the Sheene with a mandarin collar that both had smaller chest and shoulder measurements). I’m just saying that to prevent miscommunication, should you want to size up a bit.

ForeverWandering

New in Town
It's tagged a 42!! I'm a clothing nerd and measured and remeasured like a wingnut trying to figure out if I should order this.

I've been wearing it for the last few hours around the house. While I can wear a button down collared shirt underneath, and breathe, it's not super comfortable and impedes range of motion.

Wearing a tee this feels like body armor when zipped and I'm not at all uncomfortable.

I very much appreciate the very kind reply. I think I'm leaning towards keeping it unless others sound off that I look like a sausage.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Definitely not a sausage. A good fit. Dudewuttheheck is making a good point though - it will be easier to judge if you place the camera more level with your upper body.
And if Carrie approves - she is a true expert and I would trust her judgement, as long as the jacket is not uncomfortable.

Edit - I am late by a few seconds...:). A great fit in my opinion.

ForeverWandering

New in Town
It's Aero's natural CXL front quarter horsehide. While I was a little worried it'd be too stout, that's 24oz denim I'm wearing in those pics and the jacket is a perfect accompaniment!

I wear natty CXL Engineer boots regularly and wanted something that'd match a little bit. I REALLY like this leather - it's a beast but I can tell it'll wear and patina beautifully.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
highly recommend you get zippers on the hand warmer pockets. This pattern + FQHH CXL will cause you a lot of doubt later. It's supposed to fit slim because it's a cafe racer style but with a shirt style collar. So the fit is pretty close and needs to be snug. But the tension will show up on the weakest link, which will be the pockets since there's nothing to keep everything tucked in without the zippers. And that will cause bulging more and more later on.

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
Where exactly is it tight?? Sounds like neck, shoulders and chest across the board. If so, I would seriously consider speccing it out in a slightly wider chest and width.

Carrie goes for a slightly tighter fit than what we are used to in OTR jackets. This makes the jacket look great, but can be a bit of work to get to where it has a nice feel.

I have a Seven in a 44 and I wear a 41/42 in most sport coats. My jacket was initially slightly snug across the chest but very tight in the armpits. While it has loosened up some, it is still a bit snugger than I would ideally prefer In the pits. It has however, conformed very nicely in the shoulders and chest. I do still have to grab my shirt cuffs when putting the jacket on as the allover tightness is still present.

So, my advice would be to accept snugness, but avoid uncomfortable tightness, pain or restriction of motion to the point you are fighting against the jacket to move. If you want to wear more than a thin shirt underneath, definitely size up one.

Knowing what I know now, I would have probably gone with the Sheene for the lower armholes to avoid my problem. However, my wife loves the slim look of the Seven on me.

I have a Thedi on order now to have another easier wearing jacket FWIW.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Looks pretty good but personally, I’d likely be more comfortable one size larger. I prefer to be able to layer a bit underneath. Also, how does the jacket feel when sitting and/or driving?

Aloysius

I want to develop a lifetime relationship with this

People have discussed the details of sizing already so I won’t repeat them. This part tells me you need to upsize or change model.

Having a ‘racing shirt’ type fit where you can only wear it over a tee is fine for someone who has tons of jackets in circulation, not for someone who wants a versatile lifetime jacket.

ForeverWandering

New in Town
When zipped it's ok sitting, haven't driven in it yet.

@Jasonindenver (hello fellow mile high guy!) - I don't know that I'd say it's tight necessarily....more snug. I'm accustomed to wearing brutally thick raw denim for months until it yields, so don't mind putting time into this to get it there.

I'm able to move around with it zipped, and tried layering a long sleeve over a tee...methinks I'll wear this with thinner shirts and will likely keep it unzipped for the most part.

The more I grow accustomed to it's overall snugness the more I find myself liking how it looks. I've just not had/worn a jacket that was this form-fitting before.

MrProper

Thanks dude - here are a few from higher up, and appreciate the reply!
Better pictures :)
The jacket is as tight as I would wear it. From the range of motion is only important to me that I can drive with the jacket. Everyday movements then also work. Sports or other movement-intensive activities I do in other clothes.
If you feel comfortable in it, I would definitely keep it. According to experience, the Café Racer/Sheene model will not be much more comfortable.
However, if you have the slightest doubt, return them. These doubts do not go away

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
When zipped it's ok sitting, haven't driven in it yet.

@Jasonindenver (hello fellow mile high guy!) - I don't know that I'd say it's tight necessarily....more snug. I'm accustomed to wearing brutally thick raw denim for months until it yields, so don't mind putting time into this to get it there.

I'm able to move around with it zipped, and tried layering a long sleeve over a tee...methinks I'll wear this with thinner shirts and will likely keep it unzipped for the most part.

The more I grow accustomed to it's overall snugness the more I find myself liking how it looks. I've just not had/worn a jacket that was this form-fitting before.
Well, if you are in Denver, a snug fit will be good from now until May and then from Sept through early December so you can get great use out of it then. I am in Winter Park every weekend and my snug Seven is perfect over a long sleeve tee shirt during the summer up there as well. However, I tend to run very hot.

As I am sure you are aware, a down puffer gets a ton of use when it drops below 30. I have often thought a slightly roomier fit would allow me to wear a down vest underneath occasionally when it gets a bit colder and still have a nice versatile leather coat that could be worn nearly year round. For that reason I also ordered another jacket.

As compared to wearing heavy denim, the end result is much different as the leather doesn't break down as much mould. Not so much stretch as conform. A lot of people have used the same hot water method to speed the process that they use with raw denim, but I sure cannot imagine doing that with a $1000 leather jacket.

This gets to the direct point that if you are feeling any hot spots (like on shoes that pinch a toe when you try them on) this will only minimally improve, if at all. Every time you put it in, the hot spot will always bug you.

As Aloysius indicated, you may be wandering into dangerous waters here that lead to more than one jacket. It happens to pretty much everyone here. Be very careful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff