Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit check on my first leather jacket

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I just got myself a schott 118 perfecto jacket which I've wanted for some time, but I wasn't sure whether the fit is right or not. I've not owned any leather jackets before, so I'm unsure as to how it should fit prior to being broken in.
The jacket is snug to put on, and snug in the chest but not painful. The arms are very snug and somewhat uncomfortable at the elbow area when moving or when reaching up. It's a tight fit to zip up but once not painful. I'm a size 39 and downsized to a 38 as is pretty common for that model, but I was worrying I should switch it out for a 40. I wanted a slim fit (which is why I went down a size) but I'm worried it won't end up that comfortable. Here are some pictures of it, I apologize for the bad styling but they were taken when I had just woken up.
aDWR3XX.jpg

oIMnLYx.jpg

j8ovGA6.jpg

RGiSyPZ.jpg

lDnaqAE.jpg

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
when worn with just a T-shirt it looks just about right. Hard to gauge how uncomfortable it is but being brand new I’d expect it to feel better with some time and wear.

From the pictures, the next size up would be too big, but it shouldn't be uncomfortable either. The key is to wear it a lot, even out in the rain and until it dries. This should allow it to conform better to your body.

Yeah, size-wise, 38 was a perfect call for you, I've no doubts there. If this is your first serious leather jacket, some getting used to is required. Schott Perfecto is a pretty tough jacket by any standard and it is perfectly normal for a brand new one to feel a bit uncomfortable and/or restrictive at first. It's all down to wearing the jacket and breaking it in from this point onward but you definitely got the right size.

Fit looks great to me. I just wish Schott would lower (or eliminate) the belt. As it is I think it sits a bit too high. I realize this has nothing to do with the question at hand. As stated I do think the fit is spot on.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think this is the right size and the best Schott model for you but you may find better fit in another brand like Lewis Leather. The 118 though a slimmer fit with narrower shoulder still have too huge a chest to waist drop on you.

Aloysius

Fit looks great to me. I just wish Schott would lower (or eliminate) the belt. As it is I think it sits a bit too high. I realize this has nothing to do with the question at hand. As stated I do think the fit is spot on.

Well, if OP thinks so too (since it's soon enough to exchange, per the question in the post) he could get the 613S which is very similar except the belt is lower like it is on vintage models. For this same fit he would get that in 40.

Aloysius

The 118 though a slimmer fit with narrower shoulder still have too huge a chest to waist drop on you.

Good point about the V-shape but the 118 is also V-shaped (same pattern as 618, just graded with the size number marked one lower).

626 is a slim-straight cut, so it might work with someone without a V shape.

Blackadder

Good point about the V-shape but the 118 is also V-shaped (same pattern as 618, just graded with the size number marked one lower).

626 is a slim-straight cut, so it might work with someone without a V shape.
Nice to know. Never seen a 626 in person.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I think the jacket fits great. But a heavy weight Schott is a tough first jacket. It’s not going to be comfortable ‘til you’ve broken it in, and that’s going to take some time.

A few years ago, many of the posts were about how to speed up the break in process (with much debate if it should be sped up at all).

As far as the favorite brands here, I feel like Thedi has the most comfortable fit brand new.

Disclaimer: It’s also good to know: If you hang out here much, you’ll quickly realize the minute imperfections of any jacket, even one that you thought was perfect.

Lorinz

Familiar Face
Thanks for the feedback!

Having worn it some my only point of the concern is the collar, which is very thick and feels like it's pushing on the back of my neck. Will this eventually give out, soften, break in or whatever? Judging by responses it seemed I picked a very ambitious jacket, especially because of the break in, so I hope I can get the problem areas comfortable.

Would using a leather conditioner help me any? If so, could anyone suggest a good one or point me in the direction of where I might out for myself.

Thanks a bunch

Don’t condition it for a couple years! If you want, get the collar wet with hot water and then wear it / shape it until mostly dry.
Do a search on Hot Water Treatment or HWT.

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
This. Leather is very pliable and stretchable when wet. If the collar were pushing against my neck, I'd thoroughly soak it in water, and wear it, zipped up, until dry, pushing with my neck against it, hard, from time to time. Should loosen things up. The collar may be cut that way to accomodate a rider position without letting drafts in. Regarding the back, I don't love it, but again, this is a motorcycle jacket and not a fashion item. The overall fit is good.

Aloysius

Thanks for the feedback!

Having worn it some my only point of the concern is the collar, which is very thick and feels like it's pushing on the back of my neck. Will this eventually give out, soften, break in or whatever? Judging by responses it seemed I picked a very ambitious jacket, especially because of the break in, so I hope I can get the problem areas comfortable.

Would using a leather conditioner help me any? If so, could anyone suggest a good one or point me in the direction of where I might out for myself.

Thanks a bunch

Based on my experience of an (even heavier/stiffer) Perfecto last year, it's going to both fit more closely and get beautifully soft once it's broken in– and that break in needn't take all that long.

I did something probably unadvisable (though I liked the results…). Simply getting the jacket wet and wearing it around wasn't doing it fast enough for me… so I draped the jacket over a plastic chair and ran a hot shower over it for a bit, before putting it on and going on a walk. That was quite the jump start.

You can probably get the same results with a normal shower or (given this is the right season for it) a walk or two in the rain.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Forget about how other people think the jacket looks on you.

The important thing is that the jacket is comfortable. You need to be able to move in it. You should be able to raise your arms, and reach for things. It should not be a struggle to zip up. The jacket is useless if you have to suck it up, hold your breath, zip it up, and your biggest worry is how other people think you look.

It's a motorcycle jacket. Go ride. You will know. It has to feel good. And you need to be able to wear an extra layer or two for warmth.

That jacket was built using fit models who do not have the same body as you. If you are obsessed with the way a jacket fits your body, you need the jacket to be made for your body.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks a bunch

The most simple option IMO would be to just massage and manipulate the areas that bother you most with your hands. This is nothing but an expediated break-in in the literal sense of the word. You can also roll the jackets up into various forms and sit/kneel on it (zippers open, pls.).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112