Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit of a Fedora?

Castor Dioscuri

New in Town
Hi all,

I recently purchased an Art Fawcett custom fedora which looks wonderful, but I'm not quite sure how the fedora should fit?

When it arrived, the center crease had popped out, so I tried to crease the fedora by hand. However, I'm not quite sure how deep I should make the crease? Even more confusing is that since the fedora has no pinch, I'm not too sure how far the fedora should sit on my head.

The only other fedora that I have is a factory Dobbs, and it sits fairly high up, that the brim is about 2 or 3 fingers above my ears. The crown height is the same, but I think it's the pinch that makes all the difference.

As for the Fawcett fedora, it sits so low on my head that the brim is either a finger above my ears, or it touches my ears (which happens more often than not). I've tried to deepen the center dent so that the brim is about the same distance as my factory Dobbs, but either the dent looks too dramatic (and doesn't look too healthy for the fedora either), or it pops right back out due to the soft felt.

Does anybody know if the fedora is a bit oversized for me, or if this fit sounds about right? My apologies if I come off as being vague.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
That actually sounds about right. As for the shaping, just shape it yourself to whatever way looks good. There's a thread on it.

I know from experience that I used to wear my first hats much smaller till I got a true fitting hat and it looked and felt a lot better.

But it will take a bit of time to get used to a full brimmed/crowned fedora compared to more modern ones.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Talk to Art

I suggest calling Art. He is extremely patient and helpful.

I returned my 1st fedora from Art after speaking with him and describing what I was experiencing. The fault was mine as I had applied the conformer by myself and it wasn't as tight as it should have been. Art adjusted the size and that fedora now fits perfectly as do three others that I have purchased from Art.

Do yourself a favor and contact Art. Once the fit is perfect, you'll never have to worry about the fit of another fedora from VS Custom Hats.

KObalto

One of the Regulars
I just got a hat from Art

and am also new to wearing fedoras. I, too, thought my hat was too big and emailed Art about it. Meanwhile, my wife looked at me and asked "Why are you wearing your hat so far back?" She pulled it much farther forward on my forehead than I would ever have thought to do. Voila! My hat fit perfectly and looked great. 50 years old and it turns out I didn't know how to wear a hat. Pull it forward and snug on your forehead and I bet your problem is solved. They're should only be a finger's width or so between your ears and the brim. It sounds like your other hat is too small, BTW.
P.S. That is the hat in my avatar and I am wearing it too far back.

tm3

Familiar Face
sounds similar to my experience, only yours is too large and mine is too small. should we trade? :)

if it were just the size that was off, you might try wearing it for a while and see what happens. i've read that too large hats sometimes shrink down a bit to fit.

since the bash is off too, it sounds like a return may be necessary. talk it over with art.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
tm3 said:
since the bash is off too, it sounds like a return may be necessary. talk it over with art.

huh? It takes less than 30 seconds to pop a good one in- doesn't seem like that much of a problem.

tm3

Familiar Face
Dinerman said:
huh? It takes less than 30 seconds to pop a good one in- doesn't seem like that much of a problem.

he says it pops out and/or does not look right. probably not what he expected on a $300+ hat.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
TM3, in this case the hat was a Savoy, simple center dent with no side creases. With a soft hat it can sometimes fall during shipping but only needs to be creased again with the side of your hand and it should return to it's memory. Castor, give me a call & we'll take care of it.

Art

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner