Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit of Aero Ace Rocker

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
Hello-

It's time to buy another Aero. I was planning on buying a Half Belt in brown FQHH, but then I saw the Rocker. I know that the Cafe style jackets run smaller than the Highwayman/Half Belt, but I don't know if that's just in the waist, or the chest and arms as well. Comments anyone?

BTW, I'm looking for a nice clean simple look - similar to a Luftwaffe jacket, but without all the negative associations.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hi,

as far as I am concerned all Ace Cafe jackets are built on already existing Aero patterns. The ACE is basically an Aero Halbelt, The RACER is a Cafe Racer and the ROCKER is patterned after the Highwayman. I don't think that Aero slimmed down the general pattern of these jackets. Each model fits a different physique, i.e. the Racer being the slimmest of the three. Next comes the Ace (not sure if it's based on the slim 30's halfbelt or on the 50's model) and finally the Rocker which is quite wide and boxy cut.
If you really want a slim fitting Luftwaffe style jacket why don't you just ask Aero about it. They have done similar custom work in the past and I bet they won't charge you much extra.
From my point of view a 1930 Halbelt in black FQHH already looks quite like a Luftwaffe Fliegerjacke. (Please keep the button cuffs!)
I don't think that there is too much negative association about these type of jackets because they were never an officially issued item but were all purchased on a private basis. It's true that many of them were of German origin (sold at department stores) but also quite a number was purchased in then occupied France where they were sold as rugged utilitarian sports jackets. Some of them were clearly bike jackets and they were sold under the term "La veste de (moteur) cycliste".

Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy