Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Will the buckles even work the way they are mounted? That's not how they are supposed to work.
IMO they are mounted backwards and i don't think they will hold without the double back.

EJMFod4.jpg

Saying that you could do the double back towards the front like on @Marc mndt 's jacket above...
But the straps are very short.
I don't think they know how these buckles work.
All my halfbelt are mounted like this 5*. The only exception being my field leathers.
A595F676-88D3-4FC3-9631-3E44DADBDEDB.jpeg

75B743BB-AB26-477D-BBF7-02765377A8D2.jpeg
A0F36D13-90D9-4FCA-8908-FE7C45D31821.jpeg
96684150-0D2A-430B-8104-A559FB6CE679.jpeg
42748AE5-8E22-4DEE-8DE1-3F35C40E5A36.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Eastman didn't add stitch lines to the loop, looks pretty sloppy tbh. (Brown d-ring)

Apparently that's by design. Same on my black elmc californian.
7D1F9797-7B4A-460F-A3FF-52345699C545.jpeg

I'm pretty confident this is the only place in the world where people discuss these kind of trivial details :p

abone

A-List Customer
Eastman didn't add stitch lines to the loop, looks pretty sloppy tbh. (Brown d-ring)

View attachment 308955

I'm pretty confident this is the only place in the world where people discuss these kind of trivial details :p
Ha, yeah its easy to go down rabbit holes, but it is enlightening too. I'll be much smarter for my next custom build.
Nice collection you have there!

dlite90

Familiar Face

View attachment 308955

I don't think it's sloppy, that gives it a craftsman vibe. Leather jackets are supposed to feel utilitarian.
3-Michelin-star restaurants will chop up vegetables unevenly or leave big leaves in their parsley to make a dish feel rustic.

Pandemic

One Too Many
I'm not a big fan of suede leather but I like that golden brown.

I'm still kicking around ideas for a suede jacket as my next order. Maybe a half belt or a slim and simple HWM type design, bit I really want a thick, rough-out leather and not a flimsy skived mall suede. Also, I keep going back to the rust color of the Aero Majestic and then feeling less inclined to compromise on these sandy browns.

edit: Shawn says it is 0.8mm thick.

Last edited:

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I'm still kicking around ideas for a suede jacket as my next order. Maybe a half belt or a slim and simple HWM type design, bit I really want a thick, rough-out leather and not a flimsy skived mall suede. Also, I keep going back to the rust color of the Aero Majestic and then feeling less inclined to compromise on these sandy browns.

edit: Shawn says it is 0.8mm thick.

Yes! A roughout in cow/buffalo would be cool to see. Suede looks nice but a little fussy and it can't get wet (right?)

Pandemic

One Too Many
The only suede jacket I've owned was black, but I have never understood the 'you can't get suede wet' thing. I don't think it shows water damage and it doesn't shrink anymore than similar hairless hides. You can spray it with silicon as a protectant and water proofer if you want, but usually a good brushing gets it clean again.

abone

A-List Customer
Received my fit pics from Shawn overnight. Jackets on its way, but I might have an issue with the front drop. I spec'd 2" drop, he confirmed via photo that it was exactly 2" but something is off. Either 2" is too much, or the shape of the drop is wrong, or a combo of both.
I am taller and a bit bigger than Shawn I think, and I'll never do up the bottom button, so it might not be as prominent as is looks. Will know when it arrives but a visit to a leather tailor might be in order.

D4DD13C1-CDDE-44C6-9EBD-DC66DBC3BB12_1_201_a.jpeg 9F5A40AB-C6AF-40DA-B241-3DA9B6DD1E5C.jpeg 693A28D2-FBC9-488A-AD9D-DA85E3EB6229.jpeg CB48E8B7-019A-45B4-92A7-7376768ECCCC.jpeg

air

One of the Regulars
Yes! A roughout in cow/buffalo would be cool to see. Suede looks nice but a little fussy and it can't get wet (right?)

The only suede jacket I've owned was black, but I have never understood the 'you can't get suede wet' thing. I don't think it shows water damage and it doesn't shrink anymore than similar hairless hides. You can spray it with silicon as a protectant and water proofer if you want, but usually a good brushing gets it clean again.

Maybe because it's thinner there's more risk of breakage when it's wet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk