Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
hey everyone.

I've seen this brand pop up in a few random threads. Great looking photos, very stylish fits. What am I missing? Are they good for the money or just flat out good?

I might order something to test out, but that D1 Mechanics jacket keeps catching my eye at sub $400. That's quite a discount to any of the higher end bombers from Schott, Aero, etc.

https://www.fivestarleather.us/coll...ilot-aviation-flight-sheepskin-leather-jacket

Also, the sizing seems weird. If you don't mind, post some jackets you picked up, what size and how that compares to other sizing you've done with other brands. TIA.

CBI

One Too Many
My New Five Star A-1 Jacket

I love my jacket

Five Star - relatively new company, workers based in Pakistan. Owner trying to make quality era repro/repro styles at a budget price. NO ONE really does this with leather. As mentioned on VLJ, you get an 80% (to really 85-90%) excellent jacket for 20% of a premium price. So, if you are fine with passing on those last little refinements, these are great jackets. The leathers are very nice and I believe will be super broken in. The craftsmanship/stitching is excellent and good quality materials. Check out the Five Star facebook page where you can see lots of customer jackets. These aren't Good Wear or Himmel jackets but you are paying far less.

I hope Five Star can keep the prices down as no one does as nice a job for these prices in my experience.

Oh sizing, I ordered a stock medium with one change and it fits perfectly. I would normally never order a "medium" so I guess the sizes run large.

if you are a large person, probably the most economical option for a custom XXXXL jacket.

Also great service and communication and FAST - 10 days from order to jacket in hand.

KissMyMuscle

One of the Regulars
I have a few sheepskin jackets from Schott and Cockpit Usa. But they are not sizing like Aero or ELC.
For reference ,
Cockpit Usa B3 Hood 44 PTP 26 Sleeve 26.4 shoulder 22.9 back 27.4
Cockpit Usa B3 Hood 42 PTP 25 Sleeve 26 Shoulder 22 Back 26.4
Schott B3 44 PTP 26.7 Sleeve 26 Shoulder 21.7 Back 27.2

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Looks like you will be the first one here to order a shearling jacket. Good luck with your next jacket purchase.

What I can say about five star with my recent acquisition is that they are responsive with communication, they will accommodate sizing adjustments, they work fast to complete order and ship it out.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
thanks for the info. Yeah, at 6'0 185 lbs, I seem to be coming up as a small on a lot of jackets so it's throwing me off. The suitable for chest vs chest size is throwing me off, because then that doesn't correspond to waist or sleeves. So on paper looks like I'm going to get a perfect chest size, but have way too long sleeves or baggy waist.

On the leather, what did you get? I think some have mentioned the goat being pretty good. The D1 is in Sheepskin, so I wonder if I can swap out. Sheepskin doesn't tend to last as long, ableit is hella soft out of the gate. I might try their suede trucker for shits and giggles.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I'm sure you can switch the leather. They will also accommodate with changing waist/bottom hem/sleeve/back length measurement

Leather options
Steer hide 1.4mm seal/russet
Goat hide 1.2mm black/seal/russet/red brown/cognac
Cape skin 0.8-1.0 mm probably same color as goat
Distressed buffalo
Horse hide (out of stock a small of 9-19-20)

Edit: ordered the premium seal brown goat hide on a trucker

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've had two of these. The service is excellent and the speed of production is insanely quick. The quality is ok - I was not especially taken by the leathers the hardware or knits.

There are many companies like this operating out of Pakistan. And some of them are where the big Western brands get their leather jackets made.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have three jackets and a vest from 5* and think the price/performance ratio is really good. I can't say anything about the sizes, because my jackets are all made2measure.
The sheepskin looks good. I wanted a trucker out of that sheepskin, but Shawn didn't get in touch. He probably wants to focus on the D1 and B3 for now. Or I was too annoying with my special requests. :D
But maybe that's a good thing, because I now have the Coastal Command from Aero and there is the question of how many Shearlings I actually use.o_O

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I own three jackets by them, in seal, russet and black goatskin. Out of these three, the seal brown one is the only one I would recommend. The russet colored one is incredibly flat and very milkchocolate colored, don't like the color at all. The black one has a very plasticy shine. Generally speaking, the patterns and workmanship is decent and very good value for the money. If you go with the seal brown, you'll be good.

MrProper

I own three jackets by them, in seal, russet and black goatskin. Out of these three, the seal brown one is the only one I would recommend. The russet colored one is incredibly flat and very milkchocolate colored, don't like the color at all. The black one has a very plasticy shine. Generally speaking, the patterns and workmanship is decent and very good value for the money. If you go with the seal brown, you'll be good.

I second that with Seal.
Russet is actually chocolate, that's true.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
I'm sure you can switch the leather. They will also accommodate with changing waist/bottom hem/sleeve/back length measurement

Leather options
Distressed buffalo

this is a link Shawn sent me recently about his leathers and customization :
“We Offer different kinds of leathers ( Goatskin, Sheepskin, Cowhide, Buffalo ) in various colors ( Seal Brown, Russet Brown , Distressed Brown ) For the materials and customizations. Please follow the below link”.
https://www.fivestarleather.us/pages/materials-customizations

Bahabp100

Practically Family

Leather options
Distressed buffalo

Shawn sent me this link about leathers and customization I couldn’t find on website
We Offer different kinds of leathers ( Goatskin, Sheepskin, Cowhide, Buffalo ) in various colors ( Seal Brown, Russet Brown , Distressed Brown ) For the materials and customizations. Please follow the below link.

I emailed Shawn this am. Would like this jacket made in his seal brown cow if he can.
I’ll be curious to see what he says.
D447D0F8-43A9-4FFD-8ECC-87EEC9D21FF7.jpeg
DC57A086-B874-446A-BF25-2B40FBB967EE.jpeg

MrProper

I emailed Shawn this am. Would like this jacket made in his seal brown cow if he can.
View attachment 263933 View attachment 263934
I am sure he can.
However, in my opinion it is very important to send detailed photos and to mark the things that are particularly valued. E.g. certain type of seam, pocket and collar shape, etc. My conclusion is that the perception of details and when is good good enough can drift apart very easily. This also applies to the dimensions. It is best to state everything (P2P, hips, waist, shoulder, sleeve length and circumference, wrist circumference, back length, front length etc.) including an acceptable tolerance.

btw this would be a nice jacket for me too :D

I am sure he can.
However, in my opinion it is very important to send detailed photos and to mark the things that are particularly valued. E.g. certain type of seam, pocket and collar shape, etc. My conclusion is that the perception of details and when is good good enough can drift apart very easily. This also applies to the dimensions. It is best to state everything (P2P, hips, waist, shoulder, sleeve length and circumference, wrist circumference, back length, front length etc.) including an acceptable tolerance.

btw this would be a nice jacket for me too :D
He was very quick to respond. Thank you for the tips. Working out the details, size and finishes as we speak!

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
I’ve also got a seal brown goatskin Cossack on order. With all the other gambles (and L’s) I’ve taken over the years on eBay and other forums, 250 seems more than an acceptable risk. I’m not into the military repos but I’m really curious to see what else they can produce.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Shawn sent me this link about leathers and customization I couldn’t find on website
We Offer different kinds of leathers ( Goatskin, Sheepskin, Cowhide, Buffalo ) in various colors ( Seal Brown, Russet Brown , Distressed Brown ) For the materials and customizations. Please follow the below link.

Yes, that's a good starting point. Maybe they also offer some leather not listed on the site

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
many thanks, everyone. Yeah, I reached out late last night and already have a response. It's hard to tell from their photos of the leather (true color, texture, feel, etc.). I've seen some of the facebook photos of actual jackets with outdoor light and definitely agree the Seal seems to be the color. There were a couple of Bronco A-2s that looked really good especially with some break in.

I guess I'm leaning towards the premium goat seal brown. Probably pick up the Cafe Racer or maybe just the Bronco A2 since that seems to be their specialty.

Oh he also noted on the email he sent me he as veg tanned goat. Not sure if that's the premium as well or a different line. Wondering if the feel/color on those are richer. I'll ask more questions.

View attachment 263933 View attachment 263934
What would be really cool on this @ton312 is buttoned pocket flaps on the handwarmers instead of the “false” flaps. Also make sure you get a substantial collar for an easy roll/fold- the RRL collar was longer like Aero’s premier but could use some width.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB