Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

He doesn't show a sample of the Buffalo hide. Have you seen it? Is it an eastern water buffalo with the graining or?

Jin431 likes this.
  2. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman Practically Family

I've had a few 5 star jackets. What I can say is to chose your leather wisely. I got a russet goat that felt really plasticky and a sheepskin (advertised as capeskin) that is pretty characterless, but really soft and comfortable. The last one I got was the distressed buffalo which is pretty great for the money, feels luxurious and has lots of character. Of the latest ones I've seen I'd say the premium steerhide looks great and I've heard great things of the premium goathide as well. I'm thinking of having a A2 or a G1 made in the new steerhide they have.

Marc mndt and Jin431 like this.
  3. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

What was the grain like on the buffalo?

4. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Had a custom G-1 made by 5 Star...great bang for the buck (I supplied the mouton, knits and Conmar zipper). This jacket is somewhere around a 46/48 chest in dimensions. Super communicative and easy to work with are 5 Star and a fast turn around.

6D66BF77-A8C3-41E2-AE21-97C491AB1E1B.jpeg

5. CBI

CBI One Too Many

I think Five Star continues to make some rapid progress on their jackets. Based on jackets posted and on their FB page, there is a big difference in what they can offer now vs. say a year ago. Their higher end hides are the way to go and I know Shawn is working on new quality hides at a low price point (as much as that is possible). It was not until I saw photos of a jacket with premium steer that I decided to bite.

bn1966 likes this.
  6. CBI

CBI One Too Many

Hey Ice Cream, it that the 5 Star Premium Goat? Oh, I see, it the Buffalo -WOW!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    jonesy86 likes this.
  7. jonesy86

jonesy86 My Mail is Forwarded Here

You send him enough photos, he will get the pattern. Not sure about the leather but I bet he can come close. I like my Sunset goatskin knockoff just fine. I have another in dark seal lambskin coming. I may play with the finish on that one myself.

ton312 and bn1966 like this.
  8. CBI

CBI One Too Many

that Buffalo looks incredible. Yep, WEARING a jacket can often be a great leveler.

9. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead One of the Regulars

Continued thanks. I'm definitely leaning towards the premium goat, most likely Seal for an A2. Still trying to figure out all the differences in the Werber, Bronco, etc. models. Looks like small changes to pocket shape and maybe the Bronco doesn't have the buttons for the collar? Their sizing seems all the same, but from a different website I found last night, there's also supposed to be differences in the fit. i.e. the Bronco seems to be the more athletic/slim of the bunch, at least historically.

But seeing that buffalo picture gives me hope and maybe a reconsideration of the leather. Shawn mentioned veg tanned options now, but not sure if that is the premium goat, or there's premium goat and semi veg tanned goat. If they spent like $500 on their website on better pictures and some more info, I'd bet they'd cut the questions down 90%.

10. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

The premium goat skin i ordered is semi vegetable tanned from what Shawn mentioned to me. I'll get the jacket by Monday and will post photos of it.

11. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

how long he took to finish your jacket?

Jin431 likes this.
  12. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

It took 1 day to make the jacket, 2 days to ship out. I ordered a stock trucker jacket with minor adjustment to length/waist/bottom hem so it was done pretty quickly.

ton312 and Hh121 like this.
  13. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 Familiar Face

How much did it cost to ship materials to Pakistan ? How long did it take? What shipper did you use? Thank You

14. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 Familiar Face

How much extra did he charge for those changes ? Thank You

15. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

The base price of the jacket was $160. I don't know the additional cost for the premium goat hide and I don't think they charged much for the sizing changes. I also don't know the weight of the package but I'm sure it must cost a pretty penny to get the jacket to CONUS. I paid $230 total for my jacket with shipping included.

Bahabp100 likes this.
  16. Ayeteael

Ayeteael Familiar Face

Shipping to US is $30.

Jin431 likes this.
  17. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

$30 dhl delivery from half way across the world sounds like a great deal to me.

belfastboy likes this.
  18. CBI

CBI One Too Many

yes, I think the basic A-1 price as something like $160-175, I didn't ask.

I DID ask for horn buttons, premium steerhide, etc and with DHL from Pakistan to the US, etc, all totaled $250.

I inquired about a women's extra small A-2 for my daughter and it was $210 shipped with premium seal goatskin, $230 with premium seal steer shipped.

Really excited to surprise my kid but ended up showing her a photo before ordering and she said "no thanks" ....argh.

the Buffalo hide (broken in) a few posts ago looks great and certainly a contender I would think as a hide option.

I am enjoying the heck out of the fact that someone is making such awesome stuff at these price points. I know it won't last forever but it's really kind of a first.

I can't imagine COVID not affecting many people's budgets so 5 Star's offerings seem very timely and appropriate.

19. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

Looks like pricing is consistent no matter the size of the jacket.

The A1 you had them made is nice. How does it wear and what do you think of the leather? Lots of us here are interested in the seal steerhide.

The buffalo does look appealing (lots of grain) but hopefully they offer it in seal/black non distressed version.

handymike likes this.