Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. CBI

CBI One Too Many

edit - see below

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  2. CBI

CBI One Too Many

my A-1 is premium seal steerhide

Ha, love Poppers instructions.

My instructions:

A-1 jacket (I referenced a 5 Star photo from their FB page).
    Size medium (based on their sizing guide), take one inch off the sleeve length (my short arms).
    Seal brown thread and knits
    horn buttons
    brown lining "like the picture".
    How much?

bn1966 and Zoo like this.
  3. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

Man, this is it. That's just the way to do it now. I should do this next time. Thanks for sharing

4. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead One of the Regulars

thanks for info. Someone referenced a picture of your jacket on page 3. So glad you confirmed it's premium steerhide. the plot thickens. Looks like we have positive votes for buffalo, premium steerhide (Seal) and premium goat (Seal).

How thick/tough you think that steerhide is? You projecting a long break in or you think there's some give right out of the box?

5. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

Received early delivery (only took 5 days from Pakistan to Northern CA) of my premium seal brown goat trucker. I'll take better photos in the morning as it's too dark already. Packaging could be better but I guess it is $30 shipping from across the world so it's not a big deal.

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

ton312, MrProper, navetsea and 5 others like this.
  6. jonesy86

jonesy86 My Mail is Forwarded Here

The stitching is clean and straight, light weight Talon main zipper works for a light jacket. Pocket pull on chest pocket could be better. It’s goatskin, so wasn’t expecting great grain, but it is soft and comfortable right out of the box, and the dark seal brown is almost black. The photos of his premium goat looked better, but I was going for light weight.
    The fact that he made a new pattern that came out fitting well with the usual given measurements is cool. I gave him P to P, shoulder, back, sleeve, and bottom hem or waist and he mostly hit it.
    I bet Shawn will upgrade his leather when he sees the demand. 7A685CCA-90C2-46C5-B0CB-6637B02F6DD1.jpeg 451D7462-BCA6-47B2-B67A-058B46D6ED9B.jpeg 123EEEF4-F05B-4784-B175-BB369C27EECB.jpeg 77E48FC0-4C4E-4F2F-9636-BC75E4CE0E10.jpeg 4647C983-47B6-43D6-AED5-5ABB9A00C3EF.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    bn1966, Hh121, Mysteryo and 10 others like this.
  7. CBI

CBI One Too Many

don't know the exact thickness of premium steer, its heavy but soft. it seems to be graining up a bit but I need to wear it more. Still a bit warm here. i think it will break in nicely

8. ton312

ton312

Can’t wait to see some daylight pics! Is yours lined in quilted nylon? I would amend my spec sheet if that’s available!

Jin431 likes this.
  9. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

I had a lovely lightweight goatskin Luftwaffe-style one last year. Workmanship (especially stitching) was of a high caliber, to my untrained eye equal or superior to the Unfortunately, the jacket had a really pungent chemical smell to it, so I ended up passing it on. The thing was created ground up and shipped to me halfway across the world in under a week, so perhaps it was "hot off the press." Packaging remains sub-par (yet economic) but I believe Shawn could ship in a proper box if asked. I'd do so myself if ordering again.

This said, Shawn offered a complete remake (I don't recall him even asking for the jacket to be shipped back) and it's a testament to his service. That should be said again.

With maybe one or two other exceptions, the VAST majority of customers don't have that issue. I'd still perhaps try my hand at another one at some point. There have been some really excellent examples and happy customers here and on VLJ.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    jonesy86 and handymike like this.
  10. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

Thanks and will do. I went with cotton for the shell and satin sleeves, for a more fitted look. The first thing I noticed is it's incredibly squeaky when compared the the JL goatskin I have. Also I should have been more precise with ordering the 1.2mm goatskin as some panels feels thinner than some panels but still pretty well built I'd say.

Also sample of the seal brown cowhide (steerhide/cowhide the same according to shawn)
    IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

jonesy86 and ton312 like this.
  11. ton312

ton312

Yes! That’s what I’m using. Looks fantastic!

12. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead One of the Regulars

heard back from Shawn on a couple things. The premium goat is avail as Chrome or Veg tanned. The Veg tanned is 1.1mm, the Chrome is 1.2-1.3mm.

I saw this photo on the FB page and asked him which leather it was as it looks like it's breaking in nice. And he confirmed Premium Goat Chrome. He also confirmed Mr. Proper's Amelia Earhart is Prem Goat Chrome (he remembers his experience very fondly with him :)

[​IMG]

Lastly, as a follow up, I straight out asked him, what leather I should pick to make sure I get the best representation of what his company can do. So I'll report back when he answers, but from an earlier email I have from him, he was basically leading me to premium steer or premium goat.

Cornelius and ton312 like this.
  13. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

Type 3 trucker jacket (seal brown premium goatskin). Beige cotton lining with satin sleeves, feels okay but there is more extra fabric than I would have liked. Measurements are good to my request. Hardware needs to be replaced, the button fasteners jiggle a lot. Anyone knows a good brand of button fasteners?

Color is really dark brown, a little shine, even color all over. Smells good, like new leather car interior, no bad smell that I can tell. Top coat feels a little plastickey now but hopefully will go away with wear. Leather is pebbly as with goat, mixed smooth and grainy texture in different panels, squeaky for sure but that may also be because there's a lot of stitching involved with the jackets design. Hope to naturally break it in soon to get the squeaky sounds out, if not I'll try the talcum powder/leather conditioner method.

Stitching looks straight all through the seams, no wobbly stitch that I can see, a few loose threads but that is minor to how well built the jacket is.

I would say it is very well made, production time is nuts (took 1 day to complete), delivery was fast (received 4 days earlier than expected) but maybe request for your item to be boxed up so the jacket doesn't get folded into quarters.

IMG_3856.jpg

IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_3854.jpg

IMG_3853.jpg

IMG_3850.jpg

IMG_3855.jpg

IMG_3852.jpg

Someone said it before but the logo could be better, I should have requested to have the genuine leather part be cut out.

IMG_1397.JPG

Marc mndt, Hh121, bn1966 and 4 others like this.
  14. MrProper

MrProper A-List Customer

I've changed all of the buttons for this one.
    https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B01C...tton&qid=1601058621&sprefix=prym+butt&sr=8-13
    776E71E2-9DAE-404B-AA9D-A255958700B0.jpeg

bn1966 likes this.
  15. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

16. MrProper

MrProper A-List Customer

this one is fixed. I don’t like the wobbling buttons.

17. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

Got it, thanks. So it's 17mm buttons, would it make a difference if I go with a smaller 15mm button?

18. MrProper

MrProper A-List Customer

I think the stock buttons were 16.6 mm and I took the risk with the larger buttons. Tight, but works. Smaller ones should definitely go. It just has to be visually pleasing.

Jin431 likes this.
  19. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

I agree, thanks for your help. I'll try to find a sturdy brass replacement for it.

20. Jin431

Jin431 A-List Customer

Fit pictures. Jacket fits good, i really like it. Hope to break it in quickly so it drapes better.

IMG_3859.jpg

IMG_3865.jpg

IMG_3871.jpg

IMG_3861.jpg

IMG_3863.jpg