Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Thanks and will do. I went with cotton for the shell and satin sleeves, for a more fitted look. The first thing I noticed is it's incredibly squeaky when compared the the JL goatskin I have. Also I should have been more precise with ordering the 1.2mm goatskin as some panels feels thinner than some panels but still pretty well built I'd say.

Also sample of the seal brown cowhide (steerhide/cowhide the same according to shawn)
View attachment 264513

View attachment 264514
Can you do scratch tests with key/coin/whatever on the sample to see how hard wearing it is? My seal goatskin has some blemishes already which I wouldnt have expected from goatskin, so I'm curious how the cowhide performs. Thanks!

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Well done! Extremely impressed! What I want ask you is how long it takes from the day you paid to day the jacket ship out?
Paid last week Friday, jacket completed Saturday, shipped Sunday, received on a Thursday lol so I would say it is a pretty quick turn around

Can you do scratch tests with key/coin/whatever on the sample to see how hard wearing it is? My seal goatskin has some blemishes already which I wouldnt have expected from goatskin, so I'm curious how the cowhide performs. Thanks!

You bet I'll do that for ya no worries

Reactions: Zoo

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
This is crazy.....
I'm sure it will take a longer production time if they are making a jacket they don't have a pattern of and have to do by eye, jonesys jacket I believe took a week to complete if I remember correctly.

The sample I have does not have a lot of pull up. I scratched vigorously using the coin & key, the jagged edge of the key obviously did a lot of damage but I was using a lot of force and you have to deliberately try to damage the hide. I made a slit on a piece of the hide and tried to tear it apart and I was not able to do anything to it. I'd say it's plenty tough and can probably stand a beating.

IMG_3875.jpg

IMG_3873.jpg

IMG_3874.jpg

IMG_3877.jpg

Edit: tried to see how water repellent the sample hide is, it didn't bead water but it didn't completely absorb it either

IMG_1407.JPG

Last edited:

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I'm sure it will take a longer production time if they are making a jacket they don't have a pattern of and have to do by eye, jonesys jacket I believe took a week to complete if I remember correctly.

The sample I have does not have a lot of pull up. I scratched vigorously using the coin & key, the jagged edge of the key obviously did a lot of damage but I was using a lot of force and you have to deliberately try to damage the hide. I made a slit on a piece of the hide and tried to tear it apart and I was not able to do anything to it. I'd say it's plenty tough and can probably stand a beating.

View attachment 264701

View attachment 264702

View attachment 264703

View attachment 264704

Edit: tried to see how water repellent the sample hide is, it didn't bead water but it didn't completely absorb it either

View attachment 264705
Hey Jin, based on the cowhide sample vs your actual coat in goat, what do you think? Which leather would you pick? And just overall, you think "good for the money" or "just plain good"

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Also for those who want to know how the sam
Hey Jin, based on the cowhide sample vs your actual coat in goat, what do you think? Which leather would you pick? And just overall, you think "good for the money" or "just plain good"

It is difficult to make a judgment based on a little sample swatch of the cowhide but if the particular batch of cowhide was richer/darker and had more texture in the grain then that might do it for me.

Don't get me wrong the jacket I have is appropriate for what/how I want to wear it so I'm perfectly happy with it.

I’d be curious to hear the answer here as well. Which hide feels thicker? I would assume the cow but maybe not? I sent my spec sheet to Shawn this AM ala Mr. Proper style. Haven’t heard back with a price or eta yet...

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I’d be curious to hear the answer here as well. Which hide feels thicker? I would assume the cow but maybe not? I sent my spec sheet to Shawn this AM ala Mr. Proper style. Haven’t heard back with a price or eta yet...

The sample of the premium goat they sent me is thicker than the cowhide. It's close, I don't have something to properly measure it but definitely goes to the goatskin. The goatskin feels denser, not a lot of stretch. The cowhide feels softer, more pliable but not weak. THe cowhide can be requested to 1.4mm though if you guys want a heavier piece.

Goat on the left, cow on the right.
IMG_1409.JPG

IMG_1410.JPG

The sample of the premium goat they sent me is thicker than the cowhide. It's close, I don't have something to properly measure it but definitely goes to the goatskin. The goatskin feels denser, not a lot of stretch. The cowhide feels softer, more pliable but not weak. THe cowhide can be requested to 1.4mm though if you guys want a heavier piece.

Goat on the left, cow on the right.
View attachment 264733

View attachment 264734
Great info and pics! Thanks Jin. I did request heaviest, thickest hide available. I kind of lol’d at that but figured I should in this case. I won’t do that with Aero or any of the makers I’m familiar with anymore, as I know the tolerances they have and I suspect they know mine.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Great info and pics! Thanks Jin. I did request heaviest, thickest hide available. I kind of lol’d at that but figured I should in this case. I won’t do that with Aero or any of the makers I’m familiar with anymore, as I know the tolerances they have and I suspect they know mine.

You bet, just want to help fellow members out to what little info I can share. I'm also excited to see how yours will turn out as I want to get a FCL inspired jacket made for less. I hope it is less squeaky than the goat, please do let us know lol

Also checking w/ shawn as well when the HH will be available.

yep, I should have been more specific to the hide thickness I really wanted but my jacket turned out fine so I've no qualms about it.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
This is crazy.....

Mine took about 2 weeks from payment to shipping. I believe that they had a fair amount of work, to create the pattern and while my jacket has taken longer to construct than some here, it seems remarkable that is was done this fast. Considering how slow some mfg produce a jacket (4 months to 4 years wait!) I feel 5* are turning out their products with incredible speed.
I'm wondering why more manufacturing of jackets isn't a bit speedier....oh well, it is what it is.
My jacket is scheduled for delivery via DHL on 10/5 for some reason... That seems long compared to what I'm hearing others in the US are experiencing. I'm content to wait though.

Mine took about 2 weeks from payment to shipping. I believe that they had a fair amount of work, to create the pattern and while my jacket has taken longer to construct than some here, it seems remarkable that is was done this fast. Considering how slow some mfg produce a jacket (4 months to 4 years wait!) I feel 5* are turning out their products with incredible speed.
I'm wondering why more manufacturing of jackets isn't a bit speedier....oh well, it is what it is.
My jacket is scheduled for delivery via DHL on 10/5 for some reason... That seems long compared to what I'm hearing others in the US are experiencing. I'm content to wait though.
It is remarkable. I just knocked one week off my 16 week Aero order. So a couple two three, Hell even 4 weeks is like nothing. Those little benchmarks are good though because as they pass I get closer to what I’m really wanting above all else. I’ve actually been dreaming about the Aero. Which is weird. And maybe a little sad? LOL. True though.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
I emailed Shawn on 9/21/20 with measurements. He responded and we finalized details the next day. Pictures seems to match the measurements I sent pretty closely.
Back.jpg
chest.jpg
Hem.jpg
Shoulder.jpg

He emailed me this morning with the attached photos and DHL estimated delivery is Monday 10/5/20. Pretty amazing turnaround time. Will upload fit pics on arrival. Like many others, I ordered premium seal brown goathide. These jackets seem to be incredible value. Will confirm on receipt.

Attachments

• size.jpg
    size.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 308
  • sleeve.jpg
    sleeve.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 296
  • waist.jpg
    waist.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 385
I emailed Shawn on 9/21/20 with measurements. He responded and we finalized details the next day. Pictures seems to match the measurements I sent pretty closely. View attachment 264859 View attachment 264860 View attachment 264861 View attachment 264862
He emailed me this morning with the attached photos and DHL estimated delivery is Monday 10/5/20. Pretty amazing turnaround time. Will upload fit pics on arrival. Like many others, I ordered premium seal brown goathide. These jackets seem to be incredible value. Will confirm on receipt.
That looks fantastic! Just finalized mine over email this AM. Cautiously optimistic!

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
That looks fantastic! Just finalized mine over email this AM. Cautiously optimistic!
Man, if they can produce a jacket based on the photos/specs you sent that isn't part of their catalogue, that opens a whole world of possibilities. I'm also rooting for you and hope they nail it (or get close enough to retain the value proposition).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana