Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Jin431

Jin431 One Too Many

Follow up on the modified type 3 deerskin. It got up to 84F here and the jacket got a little warm but not hot enough to take it off.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1731.jpg

El Marro, TG3, JustinW and 9 others like this.
  2. PilotJens

PilotJens New in Town

Can anyone tell me how good the black goatskin is ? Is Shaw's leather a fast tanned hide / very loose fibres on the flesh side or something in between because it is semi veg tanned leather? Also I guess after looking at his hides that they are dyed on top/ spray finished and not dyed through .If someone could give me a picture of the grain that would be wonderful .I hope the AliExpress seller will ship out my front buckle .I searched for ages for a 40mm square slim design . I might ditch the front buckle design if they can't ship it and do the most common photographed luftwaffe design with just the latch and snap button .

I determined four basic Luftwaffe/French cycling jacket cuts .I call them Long/short Commercial Cut and Long/Short Propaganda cut .The jacket I will send him is a commercial cut.

3. Riu

Riu One of the Regulars

Jin431 likes this.
  4. PilotJens

PilotJens New in Town

I am also working on some reproduction zips for Shawn .But I would need some input if they are of interest or if I need to register a business for myself and start a limited run of jackets myself .

5. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

I just ordered black goat.
    I've only had Seal and Russet so far. Seal is great, I don't like russet that much. There seems to be too much top coat on it.
    CA325E96-DA59-4409-AD6E-3E2F773E3F5E.jpeg 89B6EC74-700C-4194-9B31-32F5E7B1A873.jpeg

Jin431, Riu and PilotJens like this.
  6. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

Info from Shawn: black and conic are dyed through

Jin431 and PilotJens like this.
  7. PilotJens

PilotJens New in Town

Thanks for reaching out to him .I didn't want to spam him with questions on WhatsApp before sending him my package.

8. Jin431

Jin431 One Too Many

Thanks man, definitely the trimmest jacket I have. Just enough for a shirt. I think this will pass for what I wanted it for, a spring/summer jacket.
    I hope the weather is just cool enough for jacket weather!

Riu likes this.
  9. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Currently ordering type 3 trimmer (inspired by yourself & Mr Proper)/ unlined for summer, wouldn’t have a jacket on with your temps though

Jin431 and MrProper like this.
  10. Jin431

Jin431 One Too Many

Anything new to your order aside from a trimmer look? Keeping with the deerskin? I know it was warm but I wanted to test it out. I walked for a mile and was fine, the silk rayon was comfy.

bn1966 likes this.
  11. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Going Tan goat suede, type 3 design same as the black deerskin jacket, inch less pit to pit (won’t be layering) and an inch shorter in body (mostly worn open). Snap fasteners, no side pockets & unlined to cut down further on weight....almost a suede shirt :)

Jin431, JustinW and MrProper like this.
  12. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

any update on this jacket, I like the design quite a lot.

13. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 One of the Regulars

Thank you, I like it too!
    The jacket doesn't get as much wear as my 5* CR...by a long shot. The CR has a quilted lining which is warmer but the main reason is that this jacket is just a little too snug for me to wear with anything other than a T-shirt +/- thin wool layer. Even then, the arm holes are a bit too small so adjusting the shirt sleeves is required every time I put it on. This is on me, as it was my first custom type order and I just didn't get the measurements correct. My CR fits exactly as I wanted it...maybe a hair larger but better than too small.

This Sheene style jacket, otherwise, feels great. The leather is nice (steerhide) and the jacket feels well made to me. There are a couple small areas where the topcoat has chipped, more than wore down. I wish I had also gotten a heavier main zip than the Talon repro...I'd guess it's a #5 and the #10 on my CR is more to my liking.
    Do you have any specific questions?

Hh121 likes this.
  14. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

Thanks, I want have Shawn to make "Highwayman like" jacket based on this model, I was hoping to see a fit picture (not selfie). Does this jacket has front drop?

15. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 One of the Regulars

I don't have any other pics of me wearing it, except what I posted. I'll have to get it out and look at it to see about front drop. I didn't specifically order a front drop.

16. Jin431

Jin431 One Too Many

Nice! That looks like a great plan, trimmer/cleaner look with lighter weight to boot. Hope to see it soon

bn1966 likes this.
  17. abone2010

abone2010 One of the Regulars

Trimmed the front back and sides. It’s not perfect, but mostly doesn’t look like I’m wearing a shirt anymore. Am I happy? Nope, but this is as good as I’m going to get.
    My 5* exercise is now over, Aero Sheene fit jacket arriving soon!
    1C3AA477-D04C-447A-BB2D-62ECFC6922A6.jpeg 8099FDB7-7125-422B-B02E-44F910779266.jpeg 7DA41EC5-FEE0-4CA0-B507-EFE2EEC4B0DD.jpeg 83D3C39B-D7AE-45EA-85C9-577231E8411B.jpeg

Bahabp100, Fonzie, Riu and 10 others like this.
  18. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

JMax and abone2010 like this.
  19. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

20. ton312

ton312