Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Riu

Practically Family
CXL Leather is coming in a few weeks. I've already signed up for the first jacket.

I've asked Shawn and he said he cannot do the piping on that leather. What are you getting? :)

@Riu looks like a great start man. Which leather did you go for?

@MrProper sweet! what's the news on the aniline 5*?

Thank you! I'll get the 1.3mm goat for this one, I'm really excited to see it coming together!

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@Riu looks like a great start man. Which leather did you go for?

@MrProper sweet! what's the news on the aniline 5*?

I just asked Shawn today. He thinks 5 jackets are necessary for aniline to pay off.
However, I fear that no one has seen the aniline before. So buy a pig in a poke.
Maybe try with CXL first? or CXL in aniline?

Reactions: Riu
I'm thinking this would be cool in SXL (ShawnExcel) Delete epaulettes and use riveted doughnut hole buttons instead of having the sewn on type for worry free operation.
tnw900-Jeans%20button.jpg

bay front.jpg

Not sure this design will be so clean in a heavier hide, but I really like the jacket.
Maybe skive down the pockets so they aren’t as thick.
I'm curious to see how heavy it actually is. I was surprised at the weight of my last one. If it's too much heavier than that I may go in a different direction, something much less intricate.

I like it too with Tons recommended changes...but what color rivets? Brass? Bronze?
Good question. Have to see what colors hides he ends up having. I like the copper and the antique brass for browns. Black leather would be harder and I feel like this jacket would look better in brown anyway. It’s not too dissimilar from this JL but with Shawn I can tweak the fit. This jacket was too short for my tastes. Not by much but enough to where I thought about it and that’s the kiss of death in my closet.
24AE07A3-63FC-44A6-A32C-7582BCA5FAD5.jpeg

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
Too short is a deal breaker for me too.
My last purchase was a bit short for my taste but heavily inspired by the fit of 1940-1950 workwear.

I hope my Cossack comes out good .
Back length 65cm and 2cm drop .
61-62cm sleeve length .
IMG-20210415-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20210415-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20210415-WA0001.jpg
Thick russet steer .Real horn buttons .
Inspired by the modified Cossack from Himmel Bros/Heron.

Attachments

• IMG_20210415_181014.jpg
    IMG_20210415_181014.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I'm thinking this would be cool in SXL (ShawnExcel) Delete epaulettes and use riveted doughnut hole buttons instead of having the sewn on type for worry free operation.
tnw900-Jeans%20button.jpg

View attachment 327246
cool battledress, I like slim sleeve, but for this model perhaps slim sleeve like that make it too denim like? perhaps a slightly fuller one with pleat on the cuff like original? just my own feel though
I like that donuts button, but also like the one on your JL. good luck with the project

Too short is a deal breaker for me too.
My last purchase was a bit short for my taste but heavily inspired by the fit of 1940-1950 workwear.

I hope my Cossack comes out good .
Back length 65cm and 2cm drop .
61-62cm sleeve length . View attachment 327274 View attachment 327275
View attachment 327276 Thick russet steer .Real horn buttons .
Inspired by the modified Cossack from Himel Bros/Heron.Looks a bit square to me
That 5 Star is cut nothing like the Heron. Himel's is quite beautiful looking when laid flat. More like a Peninfarina to 5 star’s Volvo 240.
You really need to be specific with Shawn about curvature. This is the big weakness with 5 Star IMO. @ton312 got it right with just a little bit, and calling it out loud.

2304BB26-F7F1-4136-8859-945325B4ADC1.jpeg
8AA36EDB-E91C-474A-BF2C-BC00C6FF8F4C.jpeg

Last edited:

PilotJens

One of the Regulars
They bend the sideseam until your requirements are met.
But I have a weired body .I have the body of a Crossdressing woman so it might fit perfectly.

Himmel is a perfectionist and a bespoke maker .

That 5 Star is cut nothing like the Heron. Himel's is quite beautiful looking when laid flat. More like a Peninfarina to 5 star’s Volvo 240.
You really need to be specific with Shawn about curvature. This is the big weakness with 5 Star IMO. @ton312 got it right with just a little bit, and calling it out loud.

View attachment 327291
View attachment 327292

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think your cossack shoulder is a bit too flat, and the body is a bit long for the type, I have a cossack that well covering my belt at size 36, and the body length is 60cm measured from the center back from collar seam to hem, hmm seems like 5* didn't "save" the knowledge gain in successful pattern and everytime back to scratch :)

Corky Corcovado

Practically Family
Good question. Have to see what colors hides he ends up having. I like the copper and the antique brass for browns. Black leather would be harder and I feel like this jacket would look better in brown anyway. It’s not too dissimilar from this JL but with Shawn I can tweak the fit. This jacket was too short for my tastes. Not by much but enough to where I thought about it and that’s the kiss of death in my closet.
View attachment 327264
DM me if you decide to move this on!

Hh121

Banned

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana