Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
How do you measure the sizing of the flying helmet?

Also, did you have to ask for anything custom?

What about those goggle lenses etc? I've always wanted some of those goggles, they were too pricey for me as a kid.

Your B-6 Flying helmet looks totally awesome! I'd wear that with the goggles on a ski trip or something!

Here you go. Note the AN6530's with the green glass were NOT included.

KjWeZpph.jpg

KVWMJM7h.jpg

wZIkGH9h.jpg

WpQRcjLh.jpg

5S9alNlh.jpg

EvilMerlin

New in Town
How do you measure the sizing of the flying helmet?

Also, did you have to ask for anything custom?

What about those goggle lenses etc? I've always wanted some of those goggles, they were too pricey for me as a kid.

Your B-6 Flying helmet looks totally awesome! I'd wear that with the goggles on a ski trip or something!

I just measured my melon and used the chart on Five Star's site. XL works great for me.

I found those goggles at a WW2 vet's estate sale.

You can get GOOD repro goggles with clear lenses for around 100 bucks on Fleabay.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
I can only speak for the horsehide arms on my B-3 and its GOOD leather. Tough, but pliant. Will still need time to break in.

Sorry, two more questions. Do you recall the thickness of the horse hide and has it started breaking in (eg: creases, etc. and not the "rubbery" return to "new" look that some of Shawn's leather sports)? Thanks

EvilMerlin

New in Town
Sorry, two more questions. Do you recall the thickness of the horse hide and has it started breaking in (eg: creases, etc. and not the "rubbery" return to "new" look that some of Shawn's leather sports)? Thanks
The horsehide is a bit over 1mm, like 1.2 maybe (I'll measure later today for you)? And yes, its already started breaking in with some nice creases and color changes.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I'm not sure I follow the size chart, it's just XS,S,M,L,XL

Whether that's 'US' or 'UK' sizing?

I don't know if anyone might be able to help.

I fit a size 7 1/8 hat size, my head measures in around 21.7 inches roughly.

Best I can figure is I'm either a Small to medium...or a Medium to Large size?

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Ah, Yes. Thank you very much for taking time with me once again. I've measured twice and it must be size 'Medium'. After a final head measurement of 22 3/8 inches around.

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
Horsehide. Do you have a pic of it? What’s Shawn’s turnaround time like these days? Has he been able to keep up speedy deliveries?

The horse is kinda what I’m thinking too. The only pics are on 5* website (I copied here a page or two back). We have one member with horse on his shearling jacket and it looks good. He says it’s good quality.
It’s a leap of faith for another unknown to me hide from 5*.

edit: sorry, no idea about turnaround times

3-4 days to ship for a stock jacket on his site. Pretty impressive, given the volume he’s working with. I couldn’t resist so I went back for black steer and a slightly modified version of a stock jacket. Changed the liner to purple nylon, different cuffs. Looking for something similar to my 50’s HH Phillips. Nothing too fancy, just a daily driver Halfbelt. I like Shawn’s house steerhide. It’s thick and stiff enough with nice grain. This model looked pretty good as is, no need to reinvent the wheel.
59A18427-B8E7-481D-84C9-7A61B4BDE83A.jpeg

6A3A10D9-8D05-457C-AEBE-6ED2B39DD0C4.jpeg

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
3-4 days to ship for a stock jacket on his site. Pretty impressive, given the volume he’s working with. I couldn’t resist so I went back for black steer and a slightly modified version of a stock jacket. Changed the liner to purple nylon, different cuffs. Looking for something similar to my 50’s HH Phillips. Nothing too fancy, just a daily driver Halfbelt. I like Shawn’s house steerhide. It’s thick and stiff enough with nice grain. This model looked pretty good as is, no need to reinvent the wheel.
View attachment 396727
View attachment 396726
Let's see... maybe I will copy these then ;-)

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 396727
View attachment 396726
Nice tramp stamp :p

1994ACAE-600F-4437-8E60-F1E7614A702C.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm