Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
Might need a little more than a spray bottle can provide. I soaked mine whilst shoveling the last dump of snow we had and it really helped!
Duly noted
IMG_20220218_081040.jpg
IMG_20220218_081044.jpg
IMG_20220218_081616.jpg

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
I appreciate the kind words from you and others. I like the jacket, it's warm with the wool lining in the body and the quilted in the sleeves. there will need to be just a bit of break-in I think but mostly this jacket just feels nice right out of the box. Temps are dropping starting tonight so I hope to be able to spend some time in it this weekend.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you and others think as more of this hide gets out in the wild and I hope everyone feels as good about as I do. Cheers!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
looks like wearable soft CHL. How is the thickness? Same as premium goatskin?
Here are some fit pics. Poor quality, I know. But you can see for yourself how the jacket drapes. Cheers!
Leather and jacket looks really good. I think you might be the first one here with the new brown horsehide. It appears to be depleted and out of stock for now.

Zippo molded

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
looks like wearable soft CHL. How is the thickness? Same as premium goatskin?

Leather and jacket looks really good. I think you might be the first one here with the new brown horsehide. It appears to be depleted and out of stock for now.

Zippo molded
Shawn told me 1.2mm thickness on this HH. On my scales, the jacket is about 4 pounds in weight. I'd say it's similar in weight to the Premium goat jacket but I'll heft them side by side and see.
I'm just glad this jacket doesn't hurt to wear :)

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
Hey everybody--So, if we want to make a customized jacket, is the current best protocol still to just order one of the stock models off of the site and then wait for an email confirmation to start making the tweaks? I really want to make a jacket based on their HB, but with a few of the modifications people have suggested here, and in brown. I sent a FB message with pictures and questions, but haven't heard anything back. I'm just a little worried about ordering an HB off of the site in black (the only color listed) and not getting a chance to modify it....

Hey everybody--So, if we want to make a customized jacket, is the current best protocol still to just order one of the stock models off of the site and then wait for an email confirmation to start making the tweaks? I really want to make a jacket based on their HB, but with a few of the modifications people have suggested here, and in brown. I sent a FB message with pictures and questions, but haven't heard anything back. I'm just a little worried about ordering an HB off of the site in black (the only color listed) and not getting a chance to modify it....
You’ll hear back. I haven’t heard back since I was screaming take my money after Hobbes jacket. Give it a few days and then poke again if you do t get a response, but I’d be surprised if you didn’t.

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
I finally placed my order yesterday and specified what I wanted in the little box in the shopping cart section. I've followed up on Whatsapp but haven't heard anything back yet. I'm not sweating it since I know they're busy etc. Unrelated, but does anyone know how thick the goatskin is on average?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@hughesovka
I took the sleeves off one of my older goatskin jacket to make it a vest. And I was able to measure it without the lining. It's about 3oz. The extra half oz thickness could be the very thick pigment coating. But the premium goat is solid 3 oz plus. Make sure you request premium goat. I also have a 5star goatskin jacket that feels significantly thinner. Always remember to note all the details, no matter now small.
IMG_4844.jpg

IMG_4845.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
To be honest, these horsehide swatchs now have me even more confused. Hobbes horsehide jacket looks like aniline finish with pull up but Bahapbp swatches looks like pigment finish (like the goatskin?) I can't wait to see it for myself. Should have one finishing tomorrow if I understood Shawn correctly.

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
@hughesovka
I took the sleeves off one of my older goatskin jacket to make it a vest. And I was able to measure it without the lining. It's about 3oz. The extra half oz thickness could be the very thick pigment coating. But the premium goat is solid 3 oz plus. Make sure you request premium goat. I also have a 5star goatskin jacket that feels significantly thinner. Always remember to note all the details, no matter now small.
View attachment 403360
View attachment 403365
Pardon my ignorance, but is 3 oz considered thick?

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
To be honest, these horsehide swatchs now have me even more confused. Hobbes horsehide jacket looks like aniline finish with pull up but Bahapbp swatches looks like pigment finish (like the goatskin?) I can't wait to see it for myself. Should have one finishing tomorrow if I understood Shawn correctly.
I think i posted some other HH pics/description a few pages back. There are a lot of variations in the hides that Shawn has these days. Give my posts a search and you'll see what i mean.
A couple of months ago, Shawn sent me (poor quality) pics of about 25 variations on his hides: red, blue, green, etc and said they would be available "soon". I could never get more info from him and i deleted the pics accidentally when i removed whatsapp from my phone awhile back. Sorry about that.

abbaralph

One of the Regulars
I have heard a lot about the premium goatskin and asked Shawn about it.. he told me everything ordered from the website in goat is the premium goatskin. But if you order off eBay or Amazon or something it’s not

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the info, guys. I guess I'll be patient for a few days...

Thank you for posting the swatches. Picking a hide is the trickiest part, I think. My only experience with horsehide is the 1940's Hercules that I've been wearing for the last 20 years. I'm trying to get as close to that as possible in a daily beater jacket. Were the 1930's-40's horsehides mainly aniline dyed or pigment dyed?

The "Midbrown" HH is intriguing. I'd like to see a picture of an actual jacket made out of it in natural light. I want a good, darkish, chocolatey brown that isn't too orange-red. Most of the pictures of the 5* seal browns make them look almost black. On the VLJ forum, there were some pictures of a Russet HH that Shawn was using that people were saying was too dark for an A-2, more of a lighter seal brown. That is almost exactly what I'm looking for.

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the info, guys. I guess I'll be patient for a few days...

Thank you for posting the swatches. Picking a hide is the trickiest part, I think. My only experience with horsehide is the 1940's Hercules that I've been wearing for the last 20 years. I'm trying to get as close to that as possible in a daily beater jacket. Were the 1930's-40's horsehides mainly aniline dyed or pigment dyed?

The "Midbrown" HH is intriguing. I'd like to see a picture of an actual jacket made out of it in natural light. I want a good, darkish, chocolatey brown that isn't too orange-red. Most of the pictures of the 5* seal browns make them look almost black. On the VLJ forum, there were some pictures of a Russet HH that Shawn was using that people were saying was too dark for an A-2, more of a lighter seal brown. That is almost exactly what I'm looking for.
it doesn't help that colorwise the pictures of the leather samples on the website are demonstrably not anything like what they actually seem to look like in real life

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy