Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

KBlake

One Too Many
Two questions for the 5* gurus:

- has Shawn figured out better jean/tack buttons to use for trucker jackets? I hate the "flexible" ones that he uses, where the post is on a bearing or wtv. I know a few folks here just ended up getting theirs without buttons at all and used their own.

- what is the lightest color leather that 5* carries? Is it the conic brown goat? I'm trying to get a light tan color, like a gently aged natural veg tan or something.
Yes!

Attachments

• E5F33607-22E5-44EC-9357-048BED8A7508.jpeg
    E5F33607-22E5-44EC-9357-048BED8A7508.jpeg
    706 KB · Views: 160

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Thanks! I asked for donut buttons. You can send him the photo I attached.
Get it in horsehide like I did and you'll be a happy customer. I'm wearing this jacket as I type and it's one of my favorites.
Is there another reliable way to communicate with Shawn besides facebook? I don't do facebook.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
In this photo, the surface pattern of the leather is different to the right and left of the zipper. I don't know what it's called, but these are different properties of the leather. It looks like different density and elasticity. Do you think with wearing this look will be the same on both sides?
I understand that this can be called "character" too. But nonetheless. Is there a chance that both sides will be the same?
Steerhide will be your friend. Horsehide is gonna be like this no matter what maker. There are corrected grain horsehides (printed) but they cost a lot of money. Cross hatch like Russian Calf leather. I don't know why they are expensive but they are. If uniform is what you are after, Steerhide is your best bet. Or Calf. But I don't think Shawn has good calf. Good calf again are extremely expensive and really are for high end shoes.

I just got my half belt from 5* and have some reservations about the pointy collar. I'm sure this is a period correct design choice that is coveted among aficionados but to me it is not as flattering as the spread collar found on other 5* civilian jackets. I'm very tempted to take this to a seamstress who has helped me with my custom leather motorcycle seats to have 1" taken off the point. The fear of course is that it won't come out looking right.

My other gripe with this jacket is too much material in the armpit area. Does one just ask for higher armholes to prevent this going forward?
This is black steerhide right? Looks good.
There are some experimental horsehides you could ask about. I nearly jumped on the second from left.
View attachment 407320
Finally! Your pull up is the second from left right? That almost looks battered seal or worn brown CXL. The other three not that great, maybe except the plain seal on the right, but the other two looks off. The second left is the obvious winner.

We have a new 5Star Whisperer in town! The reason I stayed away from the truckers was because of the buttons. I did mine in snaps to avoid the old buttons. It's great these new donuts are available now. Thanks for posting.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Shawn.fivestarleather@gmail.com

FWIW, I created a FB and Insta account just to communicate with jacket makers. Seriously. There is no need to post anything. But these seems to be the means of communication these days over email. But Shawn also answers emails. FB messenger is just faster. And you can see if he is on it or not so he would answer your msg.

KBlake

One Too Many
I just got my "ready to ship" message and photos today too! I went the Seal HH route, but man, @ton312 the hide you chose looks fantastic! Is that the pull-up HH or the distressed? The Seal I ordered looks really dark-- almost black in the photos he sent me. Guess we'll see when it gets here! The grain looks like it should be interesting.

@ton312 -- moving the pockets in-- genius! That really balances things nicely and should be the standard from now on. I chose a different pocket configuration entirely, based on some vintage examples and one another lounger had made.

I also requested the sleeves trimmed: 8" 7" 6" bicep, elbow, cuff, based on my old Hercules. Anxious to see how that turned out, as it is hard to tell just from the pictures.

For those about to order, one detail to remember that I didn't think about was the zippers. I would have preferred brass color and the old style ring pull on the chest pocket. I've seen plenty of vintage examples with silver colored zippers, so its not that big of a deal for me, but I know different things are important to people, so something to mention.

View attachment 407038
View attachment 407041
Post pictures of this when you get it. I just ordered a cross zip in this leather.

Steerhide will be your friend. Horsehide is gonna be like this no matter what maker. There are corrected grain horsehides (printed) but they cost a lot of money. Cross hatch like Russian Calf leather. I don't know why they are expensive but they are. If uniform is what you are after, Steerhide is your best bet. Or Calf. But I don't think Shawn has good calf. Good calf again are extremely expensive and really are for high end shoes.

This is black steerhide right? Looks good.

Finally! Your pull up is the second from left right? That almost looks battered seal or worn brown CXL. The other three not that great, maybe except the plain seal on the right, but the other two looks off. The second left is the obvious winner.

We have a new 5Star Whisperer in town! The reason I stayed away from the truckers was because of the buttons. I did mine in snaps to avoid the old buttons. It's great these new donuts are available now. Thanks for posting.
That’s actually the distressed. Not the pull up. More pics:
EC437651-F4BE-499F-B402-A57793C5B335.jpeg
B140BE24-80AF-45CE-9FDF-03D96B18CC87.jpeg

I think (from the pics) my pull-up looks closer to a true russet. Will certainly update when in hand.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This one looks very good. I will try it. Thanks for sharing the photos Ton. Shawn should post these on his FB group. I've see the other distressed ones with a jacket posted next to it, but it's helpful to line them up like posted here.

1646592252021.png

The other distressed ones were a little far even for me. But the underside of one has a nice rich congnac color. This is how I imagine natural horsehide that had years of sun tan. I need to explore what's the deal there. Hard to tell which side is the rough out, both sides looks shiny grain side. The new horsehides are definitely going in the right direction though.
1646592465645.png

KBlake

One Too Many
FS: black steer half belt.
22" chest
19" shoulder
20" waist
16" bicep
10" wrist

I'm not loving how it looks on me so if anyone here wants a quick turn around on it I can have it in the mail tomorrow.

Attachments

• ADB4B404-2C4C-47EC-BF2F-DE910ED5C118.jpeg
    ADB4B404-2C4C-47EC-BF2F-DE910ED5C118.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 173
  • 76745965-948F-416F-8CE7-B5AAA3134A7C.jpeg
    76745965-948F-416F-8CE7-B5AAA3134A7C.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 147
  • FDC28549-60A6-4BBC-AE12-5ACCDD2B8D72.jpeg
    FDC28549-60A6-4BBC-AE12-5ACCDD2B8D72.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 171

Hobbes1

A-List Customer
But the underside of one has a nice rich congnac color. This is how I imagine natural horsehide that had years of sun tan. I need to explore what's the deal there. Hard to tell which side is the rough out, both sides looks shiny grain side. The new horsehides are definitely going in the right direction though.
View attachment 407584
CP, if you find out info that 5* can produce HH jackets in this (pictured) "congac" color (as you dub the underside), please let us know. I like that color a lot and it's what I wanted when I ordered the tan CHL. Thanks!

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
25F61346-941E-4C25-946D-C4136448A704.jpeg

Any more pictures or info on the one on the far right? Is that the russet HH? The mid-brown? It looks lighter and redder than the seal, and not distressed like the others in the picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner