Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Rugby

One of the Regulars
@Rugby If the jacket you are looking for is listed on the website, then it doesn't hurt to order from the website and put all your specs in the notes sections. I've ordered through both the website (Irvin) and through FB messenger (new jackets that are not on the website).
I think Shawn uses the website as a database to track everything. Make sense for better business efficiency.

@Hobbes1 This is what Shawn got back to me with. I think the Cognac color is purposedly dyed from the (suede) reverse side so it shows through the grain side as the black wears off? That's how I understood his txt. So if we want Cognac color we just ask for non distress version of this leather?

View attachment 407812

From what I see, Shawn is finishing the leather in house (dye and paint...). This is just my speculation. But it would be helpful for all of us if he nails down the selection like how Aero does it and we just pick from that. Trying to offer all the flavors just isn't gonna work well imo.
How do you access the seller note? I didn't see any tab or anything indicating a notes section. I guess I am missing something.
I received another email from 5* and they recommend to buy the jacket off of the web site and then email them the my specifications along with the order number

Bahabp100

Practically Family
How do you access the seller note? I didn't see any tab or anything indicating a notes section. I guess I am missing something.
I received another email from 5* and they recommend to buy the jacket off of the web site and then email them the my specifications along with the order number
I received another email from 5* and they recommend to buy the jacket off of the web site and then email them the my specifications along with the order number, “
Yes Shawn told me as well regarding payment when jacket was done, this is after working on the jacket for over 2 weeks maybe 4, when I asked for a invoice “ just buy any jacket or combination of jackets for the proper amount on website” no invoice. Sure I thought this was weird but i didn’t question is and I figured it is for bookkeeping reasons and did it. And it was all good.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Yes Shawn told me as well regarding payment when jacket was done, this is after working on the jacket for over 2 weeks maybe 4, when I asked for a invoice “ just buy any jacket or combination of jackets for the proper amount on website” no invoice. Sure I thought this was weird but i didn’t question is and I figured it is for bookkeeping reasons and did it. And it was all good.
So if I buy the cheapest version of the jacket they will adjust accordingly?

Bahabp100

Practically Family
So if I buy the cheapest version of the jacket they will adjust accordingly?
Don’t pay until he gives you instructions I’d say. In my case it was $350 so I just found a jacket and size that was $350 on the web , not my jacket and PayPal which is what I was told to do by Shawn. When my jacket started, a replica of a jacket I sent - he said he had 10-12 jackets from customers to replicate before mine . Then they made a sample in a stock size to make sure the pattern worked then a custom sized version for me.

Last edited:

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Don’t pay until he gives you instructions I’d say. In my case it was $350 so I just found a jacket and size that was $350 on the web , not my jacket and PayPal which is what I was told to do by Shawn. When my jacket started, a replica of a jacket I sent - he said he had 10-12 jackets from customers to replicate before mine .
So, I guess in order to sort of establish a process, first email them the measurements, type of leather, and specifications, wait for a response/price and then buy the closest priced approximation of the custom jacket from the website to establish an order number. I've been already informed that horsehide will incur a $100 surcharge over the listed price. In the case of the trucker I'm looking for, the listed price for the size I think is closest to my measurements, is $205, so I'm looking at a $305 -$330 deal. Not bad at all. The quote I got from US makers was not less than $1000. Not that I have a "made in USA" fetish, but I have to admit US made leather jackets are superior, materials, fit and craftmanship. Ok Aero are absolutely great as well. So, I'm a bit apprehensive about this pakistani maker, but I'm convinced by all the members of this forum who have only had good things to say about this maker.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@MTS Check out HH121's monster Horween 5Star Jacket.

@torfjord The CHP is made with Horween Vermont. I sent him that leather for reference. His new horsehide is good. I've only got the mid brown shade now. Other has the pull up ones, but I am most interested in the seal brown shade, which in theory should match the Horween Vermont (seal) I sent him. Just color difference. Horsehide crust is good.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Notes are on the right hand side. I usually do NOT pay until Shawn sends me QC pics. But for the Irvin I ordered from the web store I paid first (I didn't have to). Paypal has the option to pay later too. Very flexible payment system.
I find the size that fits me in the shoulder, then customize the rest. Shoulder is the most critical measurement. Everything else can lengthen/shorten/take in/blow out, but not shoulder.
5star order notes.jpg

5star order size.jpg

So, I guess in order to sort of establish a process, first email them the measurements, type of leather, and specifications, wait for a response/price and then buy the closest priced approximation of the custom jacket from the website to establish an order number. I've been already informed that horsehide will incur a $100 surcharge over the listed price. In the case of the trucker I'm looking for, the listed price for the size I think is closest to my measurements, is $205, so I'm looking at a $305 -$330 deal. Not bad at all. The quote I got from US makers was not less than $1000. Not that I have a "made in USA" fetish, but I have to admit US made leather jackets are superior, materials, fit and craftmanship. Ok Aero are absolutely great as well. So, I'm a bit apprehensive about this pakistani maker, but I'm convinced by all the members of this forum who have only had good things to say about this maker.
FWIW, I have Johnson trucker jackets on order too. I don't think they are the same. Shawn is selling 800 dollars jacket for 350. Johnson is selling one thousand dollars jacket for one thousand. They are still two totally different jackets. My Johnson trucker is gonna be made with super thick aniline Horween CXL horsebutts with (way better) quilted lining. My 5Star trucker is being made with pigment (I think) 2mm horse fronts with thinner poly acrylic fur lining (B-10). The pattern is a bit different too. Construction wise they are equally good. But as good as Shawn's new horse hide is, he still has room for improvement in lining material and hardware. These things seems minor but is standard in American made while is still an upgrade in off shore made.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My process looks like this:
Brief preliminary chat via FB Messenger about what I have in mind and if it's basically feasible.
Create PDF with images and specification.
Send PDF to Shawn via FB messenger.
Last minute corrections via messenger.
When the jacket is ready, I get the pictures via messenger from Shawn.
Shipping confirmation and invoice via messenger.
Done.

Rugby

One of the Regulars

@torfjord The CHP is made with Horween Vermont. I sent him that leather for reference. His new horsehide is good. I've only got the mid brown shade now. Other has the pull up ones, but I am most interested in the seal brown shade, which in theory should match the Horween Vermont (seal) I sent him. Just color difference. Horsehide crust is good.
I'm looking for black HH. I'll send them my specs and...see what they say

Rugby

One of the Regulars
My process looks like this:
Brief preliminary chat via FB Messenger about what I have in mind and if it's basically feasible.
Create PDF with images and specification.
Send PDF to Shawn via FB messenger.
Last minute corrections via messenger.
When the jacket is ready, I get the pictures via messenger from Shawn.
Shipping confirmation and invoice via messenger.
Done.
Yeah that's good series of steps. I was thinking something similar with email

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Notes are on the right hand side. I usually do NOT pay until Shawn sends me QC pics. But for the Irvin I ordered from the web store I paid first (I didn't have to). Paypal has the option to pay later too. Very flexible payment system.
I find the size that fits me in the shoulder, then customize the rest. Shoulder is the most critical measurement. Everything else can lengthen/shorten/take in/blow out, but not shoulder.
View attachment 408266
View attachment 408267

FWIW, I have Johnson trucker jackets on order too. I don't think they are the same. Shawn is selling 800 dollars jacket for 350. Johnson is selling one thousand dollars jacket for one thousand. They are still two totally different jackets. My Johnson trucker is gonna be made with super thick aniline Horween CXL horsebutts with (way better) quilted lining. My 5Star trucker is being made with pigment (I think) 2mm horse fronts with thinner poly acrylic fur lining (B-10). The pattern is a bit different too. Construction wise they are equally good. But as good as Shawn's new horse hide is, he still has room for improvement in lining material and hardware. These things seems minor but is standard in American made while is still an upgrade in off shore made.
If they insist to go the website route I'll do exactly what you did. Thanks
And yes, I really like JL jackets. I'm having a carcoat made for my son by them, and I'll have a '50s style HH half belt made for me, like one a saw on this forum. Great looking jacket

KBlake

One Too Many

I just ordered a seal brown hh cross zip and can post photos when I get them.

Fresh out of the box!! Shawn nailed it again!! My only fear is that this is going to get expensive. I want to redo two of my previous designs in this new horse. It’s sublime. I’m calling 2.75oz. Very easy to wear, plenty of body and grain. I freak’n love it. As I thought, it is more a true russet than a pull up hide. Which is perfectly good to me. No need to alter the color. Exceptional value! Well done Shawn! He finally did it!!!!
8A9BEA2A-AC12-4828-9956-FFC6AB3A0E51.jpeg
4513F779-1DA8-4B85-BD7E-01B076921B5E.jpeg

6B5CA20F-5FC0-4B8C-9CDA-2E2FB743FB90.jpeg

A420FC1D-9B55-4A08-8DE0-AB3F53555B17.jpeg

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
Beautiful! If I had seen that before, it might have changed my order. Mine in seal is supposed to arrive sometime today as well-- hopefully it turned out as nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21