Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had it on two jackets a month or more apart, so it wasn't just one batch. I've never encountered that smell even on a mall jacket.

The one big issue with Five Star is how disgusting the goatskin smells. I left two jackets out for a month each and the wretched smell didn't go away.

Do their other leathers smell this bad?
My goatskins had to gas out too. The recent batch of steer was far less so and the HH has a very pleasant “leather” smell. None of that gas.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The one big issue with Five Star is how disgusting the goatskin smells. I left two jackets out for a month each and the wretched smell didn't go away.

Do their other leathers smell this bad?

My 5stars all smelled the same upon opening the box.

In my experience, every maker has their own "smell".

What I first thought was the heavenly Shinki smell turned out not. The back story was that when I got my first Shinki jacket from FL, it had a very familiar smell. I had a Blattwerk SB jacket that had the very same smell. Some of my later Aeros also came in with that same "heavenly" smell. So I was very confused. Until my most recent package from SB which contained a Kokolan Elg jacket which I know for sure it was chrome tanned and painted. It too had that same veggie smell. This lead me to ask the question in the Ask a question thread, with no results. As luck have it, I found what I was looking for on Youtube by sheer luck. Waiting for Amazon to deliver and see if this is what is behind all these heavenly veggie smell. Eucalyptus. That was what was missing from my mink oil. I knew that damn smell from all the stupid scented stuff I am forced to have around the house.
Image1.jpg

Anyways, everyone has a signature smell. I think it's the spray they use somewhere in the manufacturing process.

Jacket sold through retails don't have smell because they've been hanging for a while I suppose. All my All saints, Reiss...etc. jackets are all made in India/Pakistan but has no smell. Bought them all in the mall.

All the UK makers have the same smell. What a coincidence that they all started from Aero. "Oakwood" is what I think it is. FWIW, the Shinki leather I bought directly from Japan agent had no heavenly smell. I was bummed.

All the Horween leather I buy directly myself have the same smell, regardless of tannage. I can't quite figure out the green apple scent part yet but eventually I'll get there. Another mystery.

Shawn's leathers actually smell the same as new Vansons (from my 2021 new purchase). The coating is same. I didn't like the smell either but it does go away. Faster with some time under the sun. It also doesn't help that there is a Prop65 label on Vanson jackets either. But at least they are honest and open about it unlike other who says nothing. Essentially every Tannin is an irritant, regardless how "natural" or synthetic. Acetone is found in nature in trees and plants. But it also kills my brain cells and my nose lining.

All the Chinese jackets has the same smell too, another coincidence? I didn't care for the smell either. One of the main reasons I purged them. But now looking back perhaps it was how I perceived them that was the problem.

I've also bought used jackets that were drenched in perfume. Those are the WORST.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
My 5stars all smelled the same upon opening the box.

In my experience, every maker has their own "smell".

What I first thought was the heavenly Shinki smell turned out not. The back story was that when I got my first Shinki jacket from FL, it had a very familiar smell. I had a Blattwerk SB jacket that had the very same smell. Some of my later Aeros also came in with that same "heavenly" smell. So I was very confused. Until my most recent package from SB which contained a Kokolan Elg jacket which I know for sure it was chrome tanned and painted. It too had that same veggie smell. This lead me to ask the question in the Ask a question thread, with no results. As luck have it, I found what I was looking for on Youtube by sheer luck. Waiting for Amazon to deliver and see if this is what is behind all these heavenly veggie smell. Eucalyptus. That was what was missing from my mink oil. I knew that damn smell from all the stupid scented stuff I am forced to have around the house.
View attachment 412545

Anyways, everyone has a signature smell. I think it's the spray they use somewhere in the manufacturing process.

Jacket sold through retails don't have smell because they've been hanging for a while I suppose. All my All saints, Reiss...etc. jackets are all made in India/Pakistan but has no smell. Bought them all in the mall.

All the UK makers have the same smell. What a coincidence that they all started from Aero. "Oakwood" is what I think it is. FWIW, the Shinki leather I bought directly from Japan agent had no heavenly smell. I was bummed.

All the Horween leather I buy directly myself have the same smell, regardless of tannage. I can't quite figure out the green apple scent part yet but eventually I'll get there. Another mystery.

Shawn's leathers actually smell the same as new Vansons (from my 2021 new purchase). The coating is same. I didn't like the smell either but it does go away. Faster with some time under the sun. It also doesn't help that there is a Prop65 label on Vanson jackets either. But at least they are honest and open about it unlike other who says nothing. Essentially every Tannin is an irritant, regardless how "natural" or synthetic. Acetone is found in nature in trees and plants. But it also kills my brain cells and my nose lining.

All the Chinese jackets has the same smell too, another coincidence? I didn't care for the smell either. One of the main reasons I purged them. But now looking back perhaps it was how I perceived them that was the problem.

I've also bought used jackets that were drenched in perfume. Those are the WORST.
The horween HH I got from JL smells "heavenly" LW hh faint "heavenly" smell but "heavenly" nonetheless.
Now risking of diverting the thread, @Canuck Panda what do you think of Simmons Bilt products?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The horween HH I got from JL smells "heavenly" LW hh faint "heavenly" smell but "heavenly" nonetheless.
Now risking of diverting the thread, @Canuck Panda what do you think of Simmons Bilt products?
It's the paint they use. Must be from the same brand/formula. There is no low VOC paint, no matter what they advertise. I had to do some emergency water damage repair at home and the paint smell kept me up for days, and they were suppose to be low VOC.

Anyways, SB offers (Aero quality) products at reasonable prices. It's a good source for niche leather. Like the Kokolan Elk or the "Japanese Horsehide" which I am quite sure is just Shinki but they don't say. Don't go for the run of the mill leather like Horween and Italian stuff and even their Brit stuff. Those you can get from just about everyone else. Watch out for their patterns, which tends to be straight body and can be boxy. Get all the measurements ahead of time. The only leather that seems worth it is the Elk right now. No one else has it. It's thick soft and corrected but very good. I have one in brown and was tempted to get another in black. But I got two 5Star 2mm instead. Lol. It's still on my list though, black Elk.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
It's the paint they use. Must be from the same brand/formula. There is no low VOC paint, no matter what they advertise. I had to do some emergency water damage repair at home and the paint smell kept me up for days, and they were suppose to be low VOC.

Anyways, SB offers (Aero quality) products at reasonable prices. It's a good source for niche leather. Like the Kokolan Elk or the "Japanese Horsehide" which I am quite sure is just Shinki but they don't say. Don't go for the run of the mill leather like Horween and Italian stuff and even their Brit stuff. Those you can get from just about everyone else. Watch out for their patterns, which tends to be straight body and can be boxy. Get all the measurements ahead of time. The only leather that seems worth it is the Elk right now. No one else has it. It's thick soft and corrected but very good. I have one in brown and was tempted to get another in black. But I got two 5Star 2mm instead. Lol. It's still on my list though, black Elk.
Black Elk...yes! sounds quite like my next project

MrProper

I find that the chemical smell has lessened a bit since Shawn started shipping the jackets in a box instead of plastic. My guess is that the smell develops from those little packets of silica beads when the package is in transit for several days. But it's just an idea.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
I find that the chemical smell has lessened a bit since Shawn started shipping the jackets in a box instead of plastic. My guess is that the smell develops from those little packets of silica beads when the package is in transit for several days. But it's just an idea.
How long does the package from Pakistan take to reach the US? They mailed my jacket on the 21st via DHL

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
How long does the package from Pakistan take to reach the US? They mailed my jacket on the 21st via DHL
I'd have to say like everything, it would depend on where you're at, but mine reached NYC in less than a week, and almost a full week before the quoted time on the DHL tracking

Aloysius

How would this explain Aero CXL and Vicenza jackets (supposedly) smelling very different, with the former described as having an extremely rich smell, the latter having a faint and different (but still pleasant) smell?

Also, the made in Pakistan Taylor's Leatherwear jacket I ordered has a wonderful smell– I will be selling it, because the size didn't work, but the smell is great.

In any case I'm really glad Shawn's newer leathers don't have that same garbage smell!

I don't think it is that because most of my orders from Japan have come in the same DHL packet with no smell. I believe Aeros also come in that DHL packet though I don't know for sure because I ordered mine through Thurston.

I am in the DC metro area

Shipped on a Saturday, reached the DC area the following Friday.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Also, the made in Pakistan Taylor's Leatherwear jacket I ordered has a wonderful smell– I will be selling it, because the size didn't work, but the smell is great.
I thought Taylor jackets are made in Pakistan but are sold from Tullahoma. I've got one from when they were made in Tennessee. Which Taylor pattern did you get? Did you order through their site or called them up?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
How would this explain Aero CXL and Vicenza jackets (supposedly) smelling very different, with the former described as having an extremely rich smell, the latter having a faint and different (but still pleasant) smell?

In any case I'm really glad Shawn's newer leathers don't have that same garbage smell!

I don't think it is that because most of my orders from Japan have come in the same DHL packet with no smell. I believe Aeros also come in that DHL packet though I don't know for sure because I ordered mine through Thurston.

Shipped on a Saturday, reached the DC area the following Friday.
It actually have nothing to do with the packaging imo. Although Aero comes in a bigger box so there's more perceived value. But that's more about marketing presentation and how much budget is allocated on shipping cost.

I am also not a fan of painted smell either. But it is just paint, not dead raccoons.

If I had to guess, I would say that Shawn works on some sort of Just-In-Time manufacturing system. So the leather gets finished (painted) right before it is being cut and sewn and then packaged and off it goes. This gives super fast turn around times for very customized products. But paint still needs time to air out. Period.
Taylor's import suppliers mainly work with standardized styles, in black leather, which probably sat in their storage a few weeks or more before they're cut and sewn, so the paint smells has already fainted.
I am not defending Shawn, but one of the two of my new Vansons and even my used LW has the same paint smell when I first got them. It's just paint.

I am airing out my 2mm trucker this week. In my past experience it usually takes about two weeks, faster if it were warmer and sunny. The smell did not deter me from getting a second 2mm jacket though. I suppose I could ask Shawn to hold the jacket and hang it up for two weeks before he ships it to me, but I would have to wait two more weeks.

All jokes aside, nothing should smell like dead animals. Period. I haven't had one jacket like that.

KBlake

One Too Many
It actually have nothing to do with the packaging imo. Although Aero comes in a bigger box so there's more perceived value. But that's more about marketing presentation and how much budget is allocated on shipping cost.

I am also not a fan of painted smell either. But it is just paint, not dead raccoons.

If I had to guess, I would say that Shawn works on some sort of Just-In-Time manufacturing system. So the leather gets finished (painted) right before it is being cut and sewn and then packaged and off it goes. This gives super fast turn around times for very customized products. But paint still needs time to air out. Period.
Taylor's import suppliers mainly work with standardized styles, in black leather, which probably sat in their storage a few weeks or more before they're cut and sewn, so the paint smells has already fainted.
I am not defending Shawn, but one of the two of my new Vansons and even my used LW has the same paint smell when I first got them. It's just paint.

I am airing out my 2mm trucker this week. In my past experience it usually takes about two weeks, faster if it were warmer and sunny. The smell did not deter me from getting a second 2mm jacket though. I suppose I could ask Shawn to hold the jacket and hang it up for two weeks before he ships it to me, but I would have to wait two more weeks.

All jokes aside, nothing should smell like dead animals. Period. I haven't had one jacket like that.
What jacket do you have in the works?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic