Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Aero doesn't really do custom measurements, not on the trucker at least. But it's the only one that can come with a red tab like Levis. Be default it is also a more relaxed fit. They have quite the selection of leathers..
So, Aero is basically OTR?

Rugby

One of the Regulars
For my Aeros, I chose a standard size and then lengthened it at the sleeves and body and tapered it toward the waistband. Shortening is of course also possible.
I am not aware of any other modification options.
Hoe do you know the dimensions of their standard sizes so that you could apply your modifications? Did you ask them?
This is from their site "Standard size range is 34" to 48" inclusive, other sizes are available by special order"

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hoe do you know the dimensions of their standard sizes so that you could apply your modifications? Did you ask them?
This is from their site "Standard size range is 34" to 48" inclusive, other sizes are available by special order"
I tell them my desired measurements and then they tell me the size they think will fit. Every now and then, however, they have measured in an existing jacket. Ultimately, it's all about P2P and shoulder width. Because everything else can be adjusted.
Holly and Chloe from Aero are very eager and helpful.
And then I also look at the stock items from Thurston Bros. There are often the dimensions given and they measure more accurately than Aero. If you have then looked at 5 -6 jackets at Thurston, you get a feeling for the dimensions of this model.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
I tell them my desired measurements and then they tell me the size they think will fit. Every now and then, however, they have measured in an existing jacket. Ultimately, it's all about P2P and shoulder width. Because everything else can be adjusted.
Holly and Chloe from Aero are very eager and helpful.
And then I also look at the stock items from Thurston Bros. There are often the dimensions given and they measure more accurately than Aero. If you have then looked at 5 -6 jackets at Thurston, you get a feeling for the dimensions of this model.
Thanks. I am thinking of ordering from them. My first Aero.

Damon141

Practically Family
@MrProper is spot on with his observations on how the jacket drapes depending on body type and proportions. I have found it difficult to convey to makers how I would want the jacket to fit me. I
I tried my best to convey my measurements but I didn’t specifically tell them a neck hole size and it ended up looking like a child’s collar. Nor did I tell him how I wanted my sleeves to taper. They essentially took a 44cm bicep area, shot that straight to a 26cm elbow, and aggressively took that down to a 22cm wrist that I should have made around 26cm zipped to account for the liner and the double thickness of the leather folded in at the sleeve. Right now I have had a large size insulated aluminum cup jammed down the forearm overnight and it stretched it out pretty good.

Next time I want to show them a sleeve shape from another jacket so they know how to do a proper curve for movement and mobility. I think if they see how a great jacket is shaped, 5star could easily replicate

Attachments

• 541CF233-6A1D-4D25-B09F-9D50E3CE7B63.jpeg
    541CF233-6A1D-4D25-B09F-9D50E3CE7B63.jpeg
    738.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Gr8Lakes

Familiar Face
This is the order form I sent Shawn for the Cafe Racer. I sent a photo of @MrProper wearing his, and said I wanted the same pattern he designed, with slanted hand pockets (included a picture of a Vanson Oxford for reference, along with length of zippers). Also detailed pictures of the hardware I wanted, and stated black satin liner with a Genuine Horsehide label added - I went with 1.2 mm HH and satin, since it’s basically for warm day riding. I already have a new Fox Creek cold weather riding jacket. (Losing weight can get spendy!)

Special thanks to @Canuck Panda for his assistance in measurements.

This is the form Langlitz uses for their ordering process, and is designed for body measurements. I assured Shawn these are all jacket measurements, not body.

@Damion141 , you’ll see I marked 27 cm zipped for the wrist. I have one zipped cuff jacket that gets pretty snug when zipped, because it has about 1.4-1.6 mm, doubled over, gussets. So I added a cm to that one. I may have been able to go a little slimmer on these arms from top to bottom, but redid the form after I read your arm debacle, adding a couple cm throughout. The power of community!

Ordered about a week ago. Shawn says I should get fit pictures soon (I’m generally a pretty patient and laid back dude, so I’m sure it’ll be done in good time).

Hopefully everything turns out well. My only concern is from reading @MrProper post about back length. I actually added an inch, well, because that’s what all the motorcycle jacket makers do. I thought only an inch was being conservative. I’m pretty sure it’s going to be fine, but can’t help but wonder if that couldn’t have been that one perfect fit detail. ‘Cuz that’s what we do, right? Torture ourselves with details. ;)

But special thanks to all of those here that chime in about the fitting process. @ton312 @Canuck Panda @MrProper @Monitor @Rugby @Damon141 , and anyone else that’s contributed. Good or bad results, the real world experience really does help so much. I’m sure Shawn at 5* appreciates it too. Everyone wins. Just a wealth of information if we’re willing to read.

1648757004898.jpeg

Last edited:

MTS

Familiar Face
That’s the 3sixteen X Schott! They do look pretty similar though - your drawings from memory must have been good…

This is yours, right?

Yep! That's my exact jacket down to the minute details. Unless he made two at the same time

Damon141

Practically Family
@Gr8Lakes.
I think that is a great diagram. I believe you will get the fit you are expecting. I copied the diagram for my future use so I remember to add forearm size, neck size, and a proper wrist size accounting the material and gusset thickness. Well done.

MTS

Familiar Face
Any other leathers/Colors people have had good experiences with? Going to put an order in for another jacket with Shawn soon

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This is the order form I sent Shawn for the Cafe Racer. I sent a photo of @MrProper wearing his, and said I wanted the same pattern he designed, with slanted hand pockets (included a picture of a Vanson Oxford for reference, along with length of zippers). Also detailed pictures of the hardware I wanted, and stated black satin liner with a Genuine Horsehide label added - I went with 1.2 mm HH and satin, since it’s basically for warm day riding. I already have a new Fox Creek cold weather riding jacket. (Losing weight can get spendy!)

Special thanks to @CanuckPanda for his assistance in measurements.

This is the form Langlitz uses for their ordering process, and is designed for body measurements. I assured Shawn these are all jacket measurements, not body.

@Damion141 , you’ll see I marked 27 cm zipped for the wrist. I have one zipped cuff jacket that gets pretty snug when zipped, because it has about 1.4-1.6 mm, doubled over, gussets. I may have been able to go a little slimmer on these arms, but redid the form after I read your arm debacle, adding a couple cm throughout. The power of community!

Ordered about a week ago. Shawn says I should get fit pictures soon (I’m generally a pretty patient and laid back dude, so I’m sure it’ll be done in good time).

Hopefully everything turns out well. My only concern is from @MrProper post about back length. I actually added an inch, well, because that’s what all the motorcycle jacket makers do. I thought only an inch was being conservative. I’m pretty sure it’s going to be fine, but can’t help but wonder if that couldn’t have been that one perfect fit detail. ‘Cuz that’s what we do, right? Torture ourselves with details. ;)

But special thanks to all of those here that chime in about the fitting process. @ton312 @Canuck Panda @MrProper @Monitor @Rugby @Damon141 , and anyone else that’s contributed. Good or bad results, the real world experience really does help so much. I’m sure Shawn at 5* appreciates it too. Everyone wins. Just a wealth of information if we’re willing to read.

View attachment 414841

Shoulder slope is going to affect how long / short the front and back actually feels.

5Star slim fit pattern has very flat shoulder slope. Very similar to what people complains about Aero (not me).
The 5Star trucker (with flatter shoulder slope) has 25" back length, but looks and feels the same as the Aero trucker (with angular slope, I know wierd...) which only has 24" back length.

IMG_9323.jpg

And I have one of the very very early 5Star moto jackets with a bit of fur... That pattern has more shoulder slope than Aero but less than the Johnson and Lost Worlds. The taller the slope, the longer it will hang in the back and the front. So the Johnson is the shortest, but feels long enough in the back but bit long in the front. The Aero feels too short in the back and long in the front at the same time. The LW feels long in back and front but this was an used jacket and I think the original owner was 2" taller than me.

Just make sure you tell Shawn where you want the front and the back to hang. This is very difficult for online MTM. Langlitz had many redo's for many of its customers over this. I am still waiting to see if my Langlitz hits this dead on first shot.

Double ended zip will solve the front issue, but the back length needs to be dead on. No back draft up the spine.

shoulder affect length.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Any other leathers/Colors people have had good experiences with? Going to put an order in for another jacket with Shawn soon
2mm horsehide is the only one that's worth the money imo right now. It'd be nice if Shawn adds a seal brown color to that offering. Only other 2mm horsehides out there are from Japan, and US custom makers, but it gets pricey.

Gr8Lakes

Familiar Face
@Gr8Lakes.
I think that is a great diagram. I believe you will get the fit you are expecting. I copied the diagram for my future use so I remember to add forearm size, neck size, and a proper wrist size accounting the material and gusset thickness. Well done.
For the record, @Canuck Panda showed me that’s the form he uses, and I just recognized it from a Langlitz order form I have (Langlitz jacket just not in today’s budget). I’d hate to steal credit for his idea. :)

MTS

Familiar Face
2mm horsehide is the only one that's worth the money imo right now. It'd be nice if Shawn adds a seal brown color to that offering. Only other 2mm horsehides out there are from Japan, and US custom makers, but it gets pricey.

That's a bummer! He told me there's no more of that good stuff

Gr8Lakes

Familiar Face
Shoulder slope is going to affect how long / short the front and back actually feels.

5Star slim fit pattern has very flat shoulder slope. Very similar to what people complains about Aero (not me).
The 5Star trucker (with flatter shoulder slope) has 25" back length, but looks and feels the same as the Aero trucker (with angular slope, I know wierd...) which only has 24" back length.

View attachment 414847
And I have one of the very very early 5Star moto jackets with a bit of fur... That pattern has more shoulder slope than Aero but less than the Johnson and Lost Worlds. The taller the slope, the longer it will hang in the back and the front. So the Johnson is the shortest, but feels long enough in the back but bit long in the front. The Aero feels too short in the back and long in the front at the same time. The LW feels long in back and front but this was an used jacket and I think the original owner was 2" taller than me.

Just make sure you tell Shawn where you want the front and the back to hang. This is very difficult for online MTM. Langlitz had many redo's for many of its customers over this. I am still waiting to see if my Langlitz hits this dead on first shot.

Double ended zip will solve the front issue, but the back length needs to be dead on. No back draft up the spine.

View attachment 414848
Hmmm… @Canuck Panda , do you think 1” longer in the rear than in the front was too conservative? My thought process was based purely on the collar to hem measurement, but lying flat may be totally different than hanging on a body or bust. I added the inch to keep wind from flowing down the ol’ butt crack while riding, but I do ride upright. Since my question is pretty ambiguous… you couldn’t possibly know how a jacket will hang on my body, I’ll ask something more specific.

In order to keep a level hem front to rear, do you generally add a certain amount to your measurements? That is, front length vs. rear length?

(You may have saved me a disappointment here!)

EDIT… I just realized your pictures included front and rear length measurements… Looks like around a 3.5” difference on average.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana