Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

TartuWolf

Practically Family

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Has anyone ever had a jacket made out of any of these leathers?
Thinking I would go for one of these if I go for another 5*:

1.2mm Pull Up Horsehide
https://www.fivestarleather.us/prod...alf-belt-leather-jacket-brown-pull-up-leather

Horse Hide Distressed Brown Leather
https://www.fivestarleather.us/products/crusader-jacket-horse-hide-distressed-leather-brown

Buffalo Distressed
https://www.fivestarleather.us/prod...tskin-seal-brown-leather-jacket-vintage-repro
I have zero experience with any of these hides, but as a rule I try to avoid anything that is artificially distressed. And judging only from these photo's, the distressing seems indeed too artificial. Maybe you should stick to the proven hides?

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Harris HTM
Might be wise yeah.
Although most leather I see on the 5* website don't impress me at all.
What would you consider "proven hides"? I already have one in the premium black goat, want to try something different if I end up ordering again.
Both the distressed buffalo (basically Asian cow?) and distress HH look like they have a lot of character, but I wonder if Shawn could tone down the "distressing" part and keep just a bit of it.

TartuWolf

Practically Family

Observe

One Too Many
The drama with that fella predates me, but he appears to be on Instagram under the handle 6oz_hide.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have any experience with their Vintage Windbreaker pattern? I've read through most of this thread and don't remember it being mentioned. Any thoughts about whether it's likely to be solid, or a Frankenstein?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very true, but adjustable. It's the shoulders/chest/waist combination I'm wondering about - the numbers are freaky.

Why even consider it? Just get his Cal, so you don’t need to worry about proportions being wrong, and choose a brown hide.

Ask to add a chest pocket if you want but then be extremely specific about where it goes. I don’t know if I’d risk adding the chest pocket because of that.

Most of these terrible designs come from photo references people used to order. One of my favorite failures, a product of this thread, is a Perfecto copy with a minuscule coin pocket. Just looks weird. (In fairness many of the weird design decisions were the product of the member.)

Last edited:

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Why even consider it? Just get his Cal, so you don’t need to worry about proportions being wrong, and choose a brown hide. Ask to add a chest pocket if you want but then be extremely specific about where it goes. I don’t know if I’d risk it.

Most of these terrible designs come from photo references people used to order. One of my favorite failures, a product of this thread, is a Perfecto copy with a minuscule coin pocket. Just looks weird. (In fairness many of the weird design decisions were the product of the member.)
The cal pattern is for real replica

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The cal pattern is for real replica

That’s why I recommended it. It’ll guarantee he gets a well patterned and proportionate cross-zip.

I said “I don’t know if I’d risk it” about adding a chest pocket, because 5* places them in very odd places when it’s not a reproduction. I’ll adjust the sentence to make it more clear.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
Why even consider it? Just get his Cal, so you don’t need to worry about proportions being wrong, and choose a brown hide. Ask to add a chest pocket if you want but then be extremely specific about where it goes. I don’t know if I’d risk it.

Yeah good points. By his Cal, you mean the vintage D-pocket Road Master?

Bahabp100

Practically Family
I sent him the Cal , an amazing specimen with fur and belt , to replicate - with that I let them do their magic and only plugged in my measurements. It was tempting to change or add things but I resisted they could not duplicate the belt and made a kind of wonky cheap looking belt but I already had a Sam Brown outfit so I didn’t care . The Cal HH was much better I will admit , a mid 60s/70s era stiffer leather but they used the best black HH they had and I was ultimately rewarded with a jacket that fit !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner