Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

I have one 5 Star custom G-1 jacket and can see other purchases happening over time. Whilst not an Eastman, the jackets are solidly made in my experience, look good and make a reliable daily wearer that you don’t have to worry about at the price point. Shaun is great to work with and on mine was happy to allow me to send him zippers, knits and bits to spec the G-1 as I wanted it

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead and Hh121 like this.
  2. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 Familiar Face

I find this statement very interesting. My knowledge is limited so I am wondering if you or anyone can elaborate on it?
    What makes a great hide? Do they have local tanneries that are used for these jackets? I thought I saw another comment that horse hide was "back ordered from Brazil" and that is why not available.
    I'm quite interested in expanding my knowledge base if anyone cares to educate me. Thanks!

jonesy86 likes this.
  3. CBI

CBI One Too Many

how would I "rate" Five Star?

well, if a normal person who loves leather jackets, military aviation, vintage clothing, etc. wants a quality custom made jacket that looks super and is well made, then it is perfectly reasonable to say that normal enthusiastic jacket wearers need look no further than Five Star.

well, for forum members...............

OCD folks who will pay a fortune for jackets and go totally mental over every micro detail and flip jackets constantly...........Five Star still has a little ways to go but they are processing quickly. Based on some pics, a broken in Five Star can compete already with some of the big boys depending on the style and hide.

Main thing at this point.........are Five Star's 1/4 to 1/6 as good as premium? Yes, waaaaaay better!

Not say'n I don't love my ELC's, GW's and Aero's from past lives...........but I'm just say'n..............

4. jonesy86

jonesy86 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hey, who you calling normal?

dannyk likes this.
  5. jonesy86

I know that both David Himel and John Chapman prefer Indian Goatskin. I have two GWs made out or Indian Goatskin and I can say that they are pretty hefty and stiff at first, but definitely settle in, shape to the body and show nice graining and creasing with wear.

Here is what JC said about the Indian goatskin he used for my Dubow:

"It's made in Indian goatskin, which is a tick heavier and stiffer than the Horween horsehide that you've gotten in the Hercules".

Here is what DH says about his Indian Goatskin:

"The best goatskins come from India and we order our goat specially specifying larger hides. They are vegetable tanned fully shrunken uncorrected full grain skins. The skins are tanned to bring up a beautiful pebble finish then spray dyed, oiled and wax coated. The goatskins feel very heavy yet very bendy and are primed to break in and mold to the body very quickly. The black colour is dyed right through and the medium brown and dark brown will show the natural lighter colour of the undyed skin with wear over time. According to the tannery they are certified environmentally friendly with full treatment of waste water, and use of green dyes and waxes".

Jin431, Hobbes1 and Marc mndt like this.
  6. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

Indian cowhide?:D:eek:

Edward likes this.
  7. Jin431

Jin431 Practically Family

Alright, interesting indeed. Lots of people have high hopes on this leather. Pls let us know how you like it when you receive it.

Hobbes1 likes this.
  8. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Jonesy covers it in his response. I know very little about leather but this does come up in discussions with makers. Additionally, when I have friends raise their eyebrows at me about a jacket made in Pakistan, I have to remind them of that country's great tailoring tradition and impressive legacy of manufacturing fabrics and leathers.

jonesy86, Marc mndt and Hobbes1 like this.
  9. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman Practically Family

Not the best showing of what 5* can do. Ideally I'd have this in the premium vowhide (tm) and a size 38 length, but this Will do. Screenshot_20200928_101306_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

10. ton312

ton312

Looks damn good to me! I hope mine fits that well!

11. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Your Bison looks great, what's wrong with it?

Imuricecreamman likes this.
  12. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman Practically Family

Nothing wrong, but I've always felt they Come UP with better options after I buy:D In a couple of months I've figured it out:D

handymike likes this.
  13. MrProper

MrProper Practically Family

:D same for me *lol*

Imuricecreamman likes this.
  14. jonesy86

I picked up another Sunset knockoff made in dark seal lambskin. I have been looking for a light weight windbreaker jacket, and this one weighs 2 pounds. Another well made jacket.
    IMG_2608.jpeg IMG_2626.jpeg IMG_2642.jpeg IMG_2665.jpeg IMG_2666.jpeg IMG_2667.jpeg

15. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead One of the Regulars

I officially put in my order just now. Getting the "Mr. Proper" inspired Amelia Earhart. I made a couple changes. No underarm gussets and went with contrasting olive thread. The lining will be olive as well, cotton in body and satin in sleeves. And seal steerhide. I relaxed the measurements just a smidge after reading several of you saying the steerhide leather was pretty soft out of the box. So, assuming there's not going to be a lot more stretch, wanted to make sure it would fit snug but not super snug.

I've got a couple more designs in my head assuming this first one comes back in good shape. I really like the Cossack design, similar to Aero teamster. I might play with the pockets though and maybe go more G1 style, similar to the Thedi jackets. And if I see any good examples of their natural aniline leather, I might do a cafe racer style in that.

16. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

I think for a thinner hide you better have the top stitch very close to the edge or skip the top stitch at all

jonesy86 likes this.
  17. CBI

CBI One Too Many

they did an excellens job on that Sunset!!!

Zoo and jonesy86 like this.
  18. Ubyssey

Ubyssey New in Town

Hi folks. I'm usually on the VLJ forum but I wanted to add my feedback regarding Five Star. The bottom line is, if you're like me, a flight jacket enthusiast on a budget, you can't go wrong with Five Star. It will appeal to enthusiasts who are perfectly happy with the 80% solution, for whom that extra 20% isn't worth the squeeze.

Let's face it. Flight jacket nerds like us are a very small niche market so I have to give props to Shawn for even bothering to explore this market segment given our high standards for what we would even consider to be an acceptable repro. Shawn has proven himself to be highly receptive to feedback and advice and his customer service is superb. I wanted a made-to-measure 55J14 G-1 and he patiently worked with me through every step of the customization process which I found kind of fun. I would love to see more people get into flight jackets and Five Star is nicely positioned to be that "gateway drug", he can even appeal to the old salts. Anyway, here are some pics after a week of wear. Cheers! 20200916_073704.jpg 20200922_111627.jpg 20200922_111646.jpg .

19. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead One of the Regulars

good looking jacket. what kind of leather did you go with and what color is the trim? More info you give us the better since their website leaves a lot to be desired. But I agree, everything I've seen so far is pretty darn good news.

20. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

If you could also tell us more about the size (jacket and your measurements) I'd be grateful!