Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Damon141

Practically Family
When I bought mine, he quoted me an extra $100 usd for horsehide. Not sure which horsehide, it seems he gets different batches.

Damon141

Practically Family
Agreed. Especially for styles you don’t know if you will like in the future. Lately I’ve been looking at denim type leather shirts like the Y’2 ads on instagram, but I can’t see myself spending $2k on one.

But 5 stars prices I will have one eventually.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Such a nice jacket!
It's really funny... there I have now many expensive and cool jackets hanging around and after I tried on several earlier, it has become this again. It's really incredibly comfortable. Not that my other ones are uncomfortable, but this one is something else again. The pattern seems really good.

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
Here's a look at that beautiful custom goathide he made especially for the Dubow.
IMG_20220331_120755.jpg
IMG_20220331_120655.jpg

The new HH from Shawn reminds me very much of what ELMC uses on their californian. Very easy to wear, the 5 Star pattern offers better mobility.
Eastman:
DB7BE19F-E568-4A4D-9AA2-FB1E7867B732.jpeg

5 Star:
C75B8311-DA41-43B1-9A34-238978E701DA.jpeg

I would pick the 5 Star over the ELMC. My only gripe with it is there is some inconsistency in thickness, which I would call out in a future order.

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
The new HH from Shawn reminds me very much of what ELMC uses on their californian. Very easy to wear, the 5 Star pattern offers better mobility.
Eastman:
View attachment 416111
5 Star:
View attachment 416112
I would pick the 5 Star over the ELMC. My only gripe with it is there is some inconsistency in thickness, which I would call out in a future order.
Looks to have just the right temperament of "vintage" horsehide.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The same with me. Whereby I had already specified when ordering. Maybe I say in the future that he should rather use a hide more against surcharge, but not use the thin pieces.

Damon141

Practically Family
@ton312 great how they were able to duplicate that spread type collar. How did you explain it that?

Also, What color horse hide is that? Almost looks like ELMC Havana brown

@ton312 great how they were able to duplicate that spread type collar. How did you explain it that?

Also, What color horse hide is that? Almost looks like ELMC Havana brown
5 star by default makes a very "healthy" sized collar. I simply gave him the measurement (3.5") and trained it to lay flat. Agreed the hide color is very, very similar to havanna.

unhatted

One of the Regulars
That’s the 3sixteen X Schott! They do look pretty similar though - your drawings from memory must have been good…

This is yours, right?

It’s ready! I asked for all pockets to be scaled up and repositioned according to Schott 516 specs, and for a shorter collar and body length (and talon zippers, front zipper starting higher up). The top pocket still looks a little anaemic, but that isn’t a dealbreaker for me. Didn‘t realise the zipper tape would introduce some brown but rather like it!

They asked me to order the stock J24 two sizes up from the closest fit plus a customisation fee of 30. I thought sizing up was just to pad the cost slightly (which I was fine with), but oddly it now has a 40 size label despite having a 100cm chest! Reverse vanity sizing I guess?

Last edited:

Damon141

Practically Family
It’s ready! I asked for all pockets to be scaled up and repositioned according to Schott 516 specs, and for a shorter collar and body length (and talon zippers, front zipper starting higher up). The top pocket still looks a little anaemic, but that isn’t a dealbreaker for me. Didn‘t realise the zipper tape would introduce some brown but rather like it!

They asked me to order the stock J24 two sizes up from the closest fit plus a customisation fee of 30. I thought sizing up was just to pad the cost slightly (which I was fine with), but oddly it now has a 40 size label despite having a 100cm chest! Reverse vanity sizing I guess?

Mine had 120 chest listed at a 40 too.

I swear I wish I was a real 40, nearly every off the rack jacket would fit me.

Damon141

Practically Family
Eastman:
View attachment 416111
5 Star:
View attachment 416112
My favorite brown from them. Do you have a daylight photo handy to see in different light?

That looks like a true cognac

My favorite brown from them. Do you have a daylight photo handy to see in different light?

That looks like a true cognac
I don't as the sun has been on strike in Chicago since the fall...LOL. I will post some. I've notied it's darkend up a bit since I first brought it home.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Eastman:
View attachment 416111
5 Star:
View attachment 416112
Now that's a great looking jacket. Fit and all.
Unfortunately I haven't heard back from 5* after I asked them if and how they could make some alterations to the jacket they sent me so that it'll fit properly. Which brings me to ask if you or anyone else knows of any leathersmith in the US who could make alterations. Any information would be really appreciated.

KBlake

One Too Many
Now that's a great looking jacket. Fit and all.
Unfortunately I haven't heard back from 5* after I asked them if and how they could make some alterations to the jacket they sent me so that it'll fit properly. Which brings me to ask if you or anyone else knows of any leathersmith in the US who could make alterations. Any information would be really appreciated.
I have been ghosted by Shawn on a few occasions. Caveat emptor.

unhatted

One of the Regulars

Huh, had assumed that the brown zipper was standard to their talon hardwear (which I had requested) and I just hadn’t noticed so was happy to roll with it. But looking at @Imuricecreamman ’s J24 it would appear that this is not the case, which makes it rather inexplicable as a choice. Did they run out of black zippers? I think I can probably roll with it in any case, addict do it on some of theirs, but it doesn’t indicate great attention to detail if it’s their oversight not mine. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ