Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

rcdcr

New in Town
No CHL. I know it's a joke but that guy is new. The new horse hides would be the top choice for leather.
Thank you!
and I've read enough posts in this thread to realize something bad happened regarding CHL leather, so no change I'd be ordering that. I'm deciding between horsehide or goat.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The new 2mm horsehide is good stuff. Possibly the best leather to come out of the 5Star shop. It is more 1.8mm with a few 2mm spots and a few 1.6mm spots. But it is also soft and wearable out of the box. I think MrProper got the last of the batch.

Unfortunately, these 2mm soft horsehide didn't work out cost wise for Shawn. I hope if enough people asked for this leather, Shawn would take a look a the numbers again. Lost Worlds, Y2 Eco horse, Fine Creek 2mm horse, are the only three I know that does jackets in this type of leather. And all three cost at least four times what Shawn charged me for the 2mm jacket. So while I am sorry for hoarding the 2mm horsehide you can see why now.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
The new 2mm horsehide is good stuff. Possibly the best leather to come out of the 5Star shop. It is more 1.8mm with a few 2mm spots and a few 1.6mm spots. But it is also soft and wearable out of the box. I think MrProper got the last of the batch.

Unfortunately, these 2mm soft horsehide didn't work out cost wise for Shawn. I hope if enough people asked for this leather, Shawn would take a look a the numbers again. Lost Worlds, Y2 Eco horse, Fine Creek 2mm horse, are the only three I know that does jackets in this type of leather. And all three cost at least four times what Shawn charged me for the 2mm jacket. So while I am sorry for hoarding the 2mm horsehide you can see why now.
Johnson Leathers also have a 5oz/2mm CXL HH. The last jacket I got from them is 4+oz ~2mm. But it's about three times what 5* charges. So, one has to ask themselves, is the difference in workmanship and customer care worth this price gap?

I’d be willing to pay a greater upcharge for the thicker hide but would absolutely insist on consistency. I want uniform thickness throughout the jacket. Granted when you get over 1.5mm it’s not going to be terribly noticeable…but I’ll notice. If he can do this with his lighter weight horse, that would be great too and would negate my desire for anything heavier. Perfectly and I mean perfectly happy to have his current HH colors in a completely uniform 2.75-3oz hide.
I had consistency issues on older Aero’s and it always kind of nagged me. It’s painfully obvious when CXL is inconsistent.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’d be willing to pay a greater upcharge for the thicker hide but would absolutely insist on consistency. I want uniform thickness throughout the jacket. Granted when you get over 1.5mm it’s not going to be terribly noticeable…but I’ll notice. If he can do this with his lighter weight horse, that would be great too and would negate my desire for anything heavier. Perfectly and I mean perfectly happy to have his current HH colors in a completely uniform 2.75-3oz hide.
I had consistency issues on older Aero’s and it always kind of nagged me. It’s painfully obvious when CXL is inconsistent.
+1
The pull-up Horsehide in 1.2 mm and even thickness would be enough for me.
Now I am curious how the 2 mm is. I hope that is already in production.

The 1.2 mm hh I got is noticeably inconsistent.
Mine is at the sleeve cuffs and the shoulders. Everywhere else feels about right. My next order I will make this a priority request and will agree to pay an additional premium should there be one. I suspect Shawn is using up every inch for every part, rather that casting the thinner bits aside or using them for things like facings and cuff liners. That would be fine, but the structural components need to be uniform, if not by caliper, definitely by hand.

Entropindigo

One of the Regulars
Mine is at the sleeve cuffs and the shoulders. Everywhere else feels about right. My next order I will make this a priority request and will agree to pay an additional premium should there be one. I suspect Shawn is using up every inch for every part, rather that casting the thinner bits aside or using them for things like facings and cuff liners. That would be fine, but the structural components need to be uniform, if not by caliper, definitely by hand.
This. I’m thinking about the Trophy Hummingbird because I’m not sure I want to put out 300-400 hundred for a spot in my closet that could be held by something that is of a consistent quality. I mean, at a certain point, the cost per wear is going to pay off and I don’t like going cheap and being partially happy. If I could pay more and get better leather from 5*, I’m all about it! Just don’t want to have to order more than one jacket to “get it right” if that makes sense.

This. I’m thinking about the Trophy Hummingbird because I’m not sure I want to put out 300-400 hundred for a spot in my closet that could be held by something that is of a consistent quality. I mean, at a certain point, the cost per wear is going to pay off and I don’t like going cheap and being partially happy. If I could pay more and get better leather from 5*, I’m all about it! Just don’t want to have to order more than one jacket to “get it right” if that makes sense.
Yeah it most certainly does. Don’t get me wrong, I love mine but there’s room to improve. That said, looking back to my first 5 Star, the growth has been exponential in terms of quality, material, detail and overall product.

Entropindigo

One of the Regulars
Yeah it most certainly does. Don’t get me wrong, I love mine but there’s room to improve. That said, looking back to my first 5 Star, the growth has been exponential in terms of quality, material, detail and overall product.
if I can get just one that fits as well as yours do, I’d be over the moon. Like you said, though, the learning curve is steep!

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
That's the quandary isn't it? The leather is actually great, but there's always the caveat of price. I mean the surcharge to upgrade to a 2mm I'm sure will still be very competitive against the western makers, but as it stands right now it's about 400, so now we're marching upward to perhaps 500 and beyond, and with that comes more scrutiny.

Consider though that the western makers also use leather brands like Horween that give a material cost already higher than a completed 5* jacket.

Damon141

Practically Family
if I can get just one that fits as well as yours do, I’d be over the moon. Like you said, though, the learning curve is steep!
It’s easier than you think. I just sent them the numbers and a diagram andcdod pretty well. The only thing I made a mistake on is making the elbow, wrist size too small. And make sure you tell them neck circumference.

Search through the thread where MRProper has given measurements on his numerous jackets and you will be fine. Don’t measure from the stock measurements, start a custom order by email. But try to have your numbers right because they are not like a custom maker or that is going to ask your body measurements and tailor it to you. They will however deliver on what you tell them. Very worth it.

Just look at Ton312’s halfbelt a couple pages ago, you wouldn’t know which cost $1,000 less by the pictures

Attachments

• B37C71D5-727A-4677-A4B7-E3B5DD5A7185.jpeg
    B37C71D5-727A-4677-A4B7-E3B5DD5A7185.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 114
  • 39C073F6-1D7D-4E87-85D6-B5E5DAF006A9.jpeg
    39C073F6-1D7D-4E87-85D6-B5E5DAF006A9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 112

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The thickness of horsehide jackets will mostly be inconsistent. Premium brands have this same problem. They just have Blue labels, Trainee labels and Sales to justify the value for the buyer.

The first few jackets in the production queue will always have the best consistency and then it starts to deteriorate, until the next leather restock.

The same would be for any other game hides. Sheep, Deer, Elk, Bison, Goat, Kudu…etc.

Cowhide is really the only one that doesn’t have this consistency issue.

$400 dollars is probably at the top end where import jacket can push their price without losing business volumn.

There is still a difference between a FiveStar jacket and a Johnson jacket. But Shawn’s 2mm horsehide blurs that line from below and Johnson’s 2mm goatskin blurs that line from above, in terms of price. I will post in the compare thread when I get my Johnson.

I’m just grateful for my pair of 2mm FiveStars.

Entropindigo

One of the Regulars
The thickness of horsehide jackets will mostly be inconsistent. Premium brands have this same problem. They just have Blue labels, Trainee labels and Sales to justify the value for the buyer.

The first few jackets in the production queue will always have the best consistency and then it starts to deteriorate, until the next leather restock.

The same would be for any other game hides. Sheep, Deer, Elk, Bison, Goat, Kudu…etc.

$400 dollars is probably at the top end where import jacket can push their price without losing business volumn.

There is still a difference between a FiveStar jacket and a Johnson jacket. But Shawn’s 2mm horsehide blurs that line from below and Johnson’s 2mm goatskin blurs that line from above, in terms of price. I will post in the compare thread when I get my Johnson.

Both of them admittedly appear amazing. Add in the customization of lining, stitch color, fit and details, the value looks remarkable. Looking forward to your review!

Rugby

One of the Regulars

@Canuck Panda, if I may ask, what jacket have you ordered from Johnson?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko