Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This might be heresy, but I'm thinking of getting a cossack jacket made with raglan or semi-raglan sleeves. I see a few varsity-style jackets listed with raglan sleeves, so it seems like something they can do.

Do we think it would be a bad idea to request something more complicated - a semi-raglan sleeve like this vintage jacket, with a more traditional front and a raglan back to the sleeve?

EDIT: bad idea meaning it's not something they typically offer, so there's a greater chance of something getting lost in translation?
Provided detailed instructions, why not? I would trust it 5*.
Assuming you can find a suitable leather (e.g. the pull-up HH). Buttons will probably be different.

rcdcr

New in Town
Provided detailed instructions, why not? I would trust it 5*.
Assuming you can find a suitable leather (e.g. the pull-up HH). Buttons will probably be different.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I was thinking the dubow russet goatskin. Would goatskin not work, do you think?
I have commented before on how nice the pull-up HH looks, so that is tempting too.......

MrProper

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I was thinking the dubow russet goatskin. Would goatskin not work, do you think?
I have commented before on how nice the pull-up HH looks, so that is tempting too.......
I am not a fan of russet goatskin at all. It's not russet, it's milk chocolate. And mine feels like plastic. There seems to be too much topcoat on it. Black and seal is ok. The goatskin as such is fine.

rcdcr

New in Town
I am not a fan of russet goatskin at all. It's not russet, it's milk chocolate. And mine feels like plastic. There seems to be too much topcoat on it. Black and seal is ok. The goatskin as such is fine.
Oh, I looked back through my emails with Shawn and saw that it was actually the crystal brown Dubow goatskin that I was interested in, not russet. Have seen pictures in this thread that do not speak too favorably to russet, but the crystal brown looks pretty nice.

You still got leather? Cool
I'd be all for talking Shawn into doing the same leather in a nice brown. I think we'll get quite a few jackets together here, don't you?
Yes! I messaged on a whim, expecting it to be gone but I think my lot was set aside. I contacted him immediately after seeing Panda’s trucker but waffled on the details. Originally had hoped to redo the campus/Arcaidia/Californian but the piping was a no go. So I sat stumped and now just decided why not ever so slightly tweak the 30’s jacket and lo and behold….just enough 2.2 skin left. Really looking forward to it. Essentially identical to my brown jacket, delete rear yoke, add decorative cuff buttons. And done.

MrProper

Yes! I messaged on a whim, expecting it to be gone but I think my lot was set aside. I contacted him immediately after seeing Panda’s trucker but waffled on the details. Originally had hoped to redo the campus/Arcaidia/Californian but the piping was a no go. So I sat stumped and now just decided why not ever so slightly tweak the 30’s jacket and lo and behold….just enough 2.2 skin left. Really looking forward to it. Essentially identical to my brown jacket, delete rear yoke, add decorative cuff buttons. And done.
very nice. Congratulations
So I can only say about mine that I am very happy with it. I would even go so far as to say that is almost one of my best jackets. I wore it today on my 5km walk and it just fits perfectly.
I gave my 5* cossack to my brother right away, because I certainly don't wear them anymore since I got the halfbelts.
I'm still thinking about selling my natural HH Aero and my Field Leathers. Had the natural HH the day before yesterday on, but that does not come to the Halfbelt. But will see lol

very nice. Congratulations
So I can only say about mine that I am very happy with it. I would even go so far as to say that is almost one of my best jackets. I wore it today on my 5km walk and it just fits perfectly.
I gave my 5* cossack to my brother right away, because I certainly don't wear them anymore since I got the halfbelts.
I'm still thinking about selling my natural HH Aero and my Field Leathers. Had the natural HH the day before yesterday on, but that does not come to the Halfbelt. But will see lol
I used your pictures as reference points with Shawn. I particularly like the upgraded buckles. I am very hopeful and confident I will have the same feeling as you when it’s ready! Nevertheless, the churning and burning in the gut is well underway.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The 2mm horsehide is really good stuff. You won't be disappointed. It's softer than CXL FQHH, just slightly stiffer than Horween LUX. Thickness is more 4.5oz than solid 5oz but still very heavyweight. Actual weight isn't very heavy though. I will weigh mine tonight to see where they are at. I would expect 7lbs for the thickness but they feel more like 6lbs to me.
Brown 2mm would be very nice!

MrProper

The 2mm horsehide is really good stuff. You won't be disappointed. It's softer than CXL FQHH, just slightly stiffer than Horween LUX. Thickness is more 4.5oz than solid 5oz but still very heavyweight. Actual weight isn't very heavy though. I will weigh mine tonight to see where they are at. I would expect 7lbs for the thickness but they feel more like 6lbs to me.
Brown 2mm would be very nice!
Mine weighs 5.62 lbs/2.55 kg.

@ton312 Go with the heavy satin or heavy cotton drill. It works much better than the regular purple one.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That's what I think mine would weigh too. In the 6 pound range. It feels a lot thicker than the regular horsehide but not that much heavier in weight. Very interesting.

MrProper

I opted for black drill in the body, brown heavy satin in the sleeves. Upgraded buckles, fat front zip (all brass) and with brown tape. I meant to ask, did you taper the waist?
For me, the waist and hem is always the same. That is 49 cm or 50 cm.
The height of the belt I have specified 17 cm from the hem.

I just checked. Do you mean the skimpy sleeves and length? That actually makes me think he probably did look at an original.
I thought the chest sizes looked out of ratio. Seems like a round shaped jacket
On second look I actually really like how the sleeves are shaped. Looks better and more true to form.

Last edited:

Aloysius

I thought the chest sizes looked out of ratio. Seems like a round shaped jacket
On second look I actually really like how the sleeves are shaped. Looks better and more true to form.

I think you’re looking at it with half-belt ratios in mind. The shoulder/chest/waist measurements are comparable to my Schott and Aero cross-zips of the same sizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff