Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@Pandemic I've got a crystal brown goatskin A2 coming. As soon as DHL delivers I will post some compare photos with other goatskins. It is the only full veg tan goatskin from shawn. And I am hoping it is not painted but semi aniline finished like I saw on Yamahana's awesome custom.

Lemanto

New in Town
Does anyone have experience in the Seal Brown buffalo? Mainly the patina and graining. I'm looking to purchase a customized Waldo Pepper and teetering between the Seal Brown Goatskin and Seal Brown Buffalo.

rcdcr

New in Town
@Pandemic I've got a crystal brown goatskin A2 coming. As soon as DHL delivers I will post some compare photos with other goatskins. It is the only full veg tan goatskin from shawn. And I am hoping it is not painted but semi aniline finished like I saw on Yamahana's awesome custom.
I've been thinking of getting a jacket in this leather - can't wait to see pics of yours!

Kevin the Devon

New in Town
Does anyone have experience in the Seal Brown buffalo? Mainly the patina and graining. I'm looking to purchase a customized Waldo Pepper and teetering between the Seal Brown Goatskin and Seal Brown Buffalo.
I have a Waldo Pepper Russet brown goatskin. It's great leather soft and has some graining.

This week I got another jacket in Premium 1.2mm seal goatskin. It is much nicer leather than my other jacket softer, more graining and thicker. I like both jackets leather this is nicer leather.

Elsewhere the seal steer hide gets good comments.
I think five-star will send leather samples

KBlake

One Too Many
I have a Waldo Pepper Russet brown goatskin. It's great leather soft and has some graining.

This week I got another jacket in Premium 1.2mm seal goatskin. It is much nicer leather than my other jacket softer, more graining and thicker. I like both jackets leather this is nicer leather.

Elsewhere the seal steer hide gets good comments.
I think five-star will send leather samples
Post a photo of the seal horsehide jacket if you get the chance.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I went a new way for myself and ordered a custom made leather jacket from FiveStar Leather. The jacket is made after an original called "Westerner" in Premium Seal Goatskin. I took the measurements from an RMC JH-1. I think Shawn nailed it.

In the photos, the back looks very balanced. On the fit pics I'm a bit in doubt whether the half belt is set a bit too high. I passed the numbers on to Shawn (7.75", 20 cm from bottom), he did everything right. I wanted the half belt a bit higher because I don't really like half belts that sit too low.

What do you think, is the half belt too high or does it give the jacket that certain something...?

IMG_1613.JPG
IMG_1754.JPG
IMG_1755.JPG
IMG_E1861.JPG
IMG_E1865.JPG

Hh121

Banned
That’s something I learned from 5star and decide to pause my purchasing from them for a while. (I still have 2 sides of natural CXL horsehide that were supposed send to them…..)
I purchased 4 jackets from them, only one jacket is comfortable and wearable (7oz cxl , and they did a great job, thank God!). I sold 2 of them at a much cheaper price than I paid because they all have obvious design flaws, so the lure of cheap price and having my own design became a “trap”, especially in my case.
It is natural to go ahead and order another jacket from them and expect they can fix the flaws. But in my case, it is not happening. The latest jacket I got from them has a tighter and slimmer right sleeve and now I have to spend money to ship it back for a remake of the right sleeve. The bi-swing back does not provide enough movement compared to 7oz cxl jacket, also made by 5star.
I would suggest anybody new here do not follow my route, that is supply your own leather to them and ask them to make you a jacket, only use their stock leather (no more than 3 oz ).
If you are on a budget, please purchase premier maker like Aero, Thedi, and Johnson.
Having said that, I am grateful for the 7oz CXL jacket they made for me.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
I went a new way for myself and ordered a custom made leather jacket from FiveStar Leather. The jacket is made after an original called "Westerner" in Premium Seal Goatskin. I took the measurements from an RMC JH-1. I think Shawn nailed it.

In the photos, the back looks very balanced. On the fit pics I'm a bit in doubt whether the half belt is set a bit too high. I passed the numbers on to Shawn (7.75", 20 cm from bottom), he did everything right. I wanted the half belt a bit higher because I don't really like half belts that sit too low.

What do you think, is the half belt too high or does it give the jacket that certain something...?

View attachment 437655 View attachment 437656 View attachment 437657 View attachment 437658 View attachment 437659

Honest opinion, I think the back would look better if the belt sat a little lower.

View attachment 437655 View attachment 437656 View attachment 437657 View attachment 437658 View attachment 437659
I love it. The belt is high. A true half belt back. I’ve had this high set belt on vintage jackets. It becomes more of a pit to pit pit adjustment at this height. I quite like it and wouldn’t give it a second thought.

Honest opinion, I think the back would look better if the belt sat a little lower.
But, it’s not worth obsessing on it or re-making the jacket.
When I worked with GW on my Imperial, the “skirt” was discussed, and we lowered the belt a bit to extend the pattern of the upper back. In vintage jackets the height varies a lot- so you are fine.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’ve had three custom jackets from 5*, two didn’t work out but the third a deerskin Trucker gets regular wear and fits nicely. I did sent Shawn the jacket I wanted cloned but in leather & every thing was followed to a T.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
That’s something I learned from 5star and decide to pause my purchasing from them for a while. (I still have 2 sides of natural CXL horsehide that were supposed send to them…..)
I purchased 4 jackets from them, only one jacket is comfortable and wearable (7oz cxl , and they did a great job, thank God!). I sold 2 of them at a much cheaper price than I paid because they all have obvious design flaws, so the lure of cheap price and having my own design became a “trap”, especially in my case.
It is natural to go ahead and order another jacket from them and expect they can fix the flaws. But in my case, it is not happening. The latest jacket I got from them has a tighter and slimmer right sleeve and now I have to spend money to ship it back for a remake of the right sleeve. The bi-swing back does not provide enough movement compared to 7oz cxl jacket, also made by 5star.
I would suggest anybody new here do not follow my route, that is supply your own leather to them and ask them to make you a jacket, only use their stock leather (no more than 3 oz ).
If you are on a budget, please purchase premier maker like Aero, Thedi, and Johnson.
Having said that, I am grateful for the 7oz CXL jacket they made for me.

I know we went back and forth about this a while ago, but how was your experience with them using a more common weight jacket like 3oz or less? I gotta imagine that the higher weight leathers is a chore for anyone to get consistently right.

Reason I ask is because I would think by now if you were to send them a more normal weight leather, they could produce a good jacket.

I just reread your post and I see now the sleeves didn't match, yeah that's not a leather being too heavy problem, that's just an attention to detail problem, sorry to hear.

Yeah I did my experience with my CHL jacket, beautiful unwearable jacket that I had no recourse with, had to chuck it. I totally agree, stick with their tried and true leather, and have some latitude with fitment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ